Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Super-Deformed Interchangeable Monster Figures  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Patraw

• Dracula's door mat
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Mark's Art Page
    • Awards
Here are six interchangeable super-deformed mini action figures, based on monsters from Konami's 2008 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Nintendo DS video game (original Japanese title: 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印, which romanizes as Akumajou Dorakyura Ubawareta Kokuin, and that translates to "Demon Castle Dracula: The Stolen Seal"). They're all made from the same basic "blank" body, which was then customized into each unique creature.

Below are a bunch of quick concept sketches, from my notebook, that I drew up, prior to, and during, the modeling process. Design-wise, I was shooting for a fairly simplistic body type, similar to a papercraft or collectible vinyl figurine, that could be made, over-and-over again, relatively quickly. I looked at a variety of commercial products (Funko, Minimates, Gregory Horror Show, etc.), as well as the work of other artists, for inspiration.

This is what the six creatures look like, in sprite form, from the game (left-to-right, Axe Knight, Chosen Une, Draculina, Ghoul, Grave Digger, and Ladycat):

Here are some shots of the construction process. Alas, I forgot to take a photo of the unpainted Grave Digger.

And, finally, here's the finished product. I made six toys total because that's a common number for a wave of action figures to have, plus it provides enough part variety to make the mix-and-match feature worthwhile.

Materials:
 Lined white paper, newsprint, cardboard, white glue, acrylic paint, ink, colored pencil, fishing line (Ladycat's whiskers only), and carpet fibers (Draculina's hair only).

Dimensions:
 While they all started out with the same measurements, the individual figures' widths and heights vary, largely due to projecting structures like the Ghoul's horn and Draculina's bat wings, so, rather than listing them all individually, I'll just give you the numbers for the "base" figure, before any alterations are made: 3.2 cm (1.3") wide x 3.7 cm (1.5") tall.

Articulation:
 Each figure has three rotating pin-and-post joints, at the neck and shoulders, and Ladycat's tail also rotates where it joins her body.

Time:
 Five days total: July 20, 21, 22, 24, and 28 (2014). Things started off with the construction of the Axe Knight on the 20th and 21st, Chosen Une came second, also on the 21st, Ladycat was modeled on the 21st and 22nd, followed by Draculina on the 22nd and 24th, and Grave Digger was also done on the 24th. After that whirlwind of activity, I took a break for a few days before finally returning to complete the project with the sixth, and final, figure, Ghoul, on the 28th.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
You keep stepping up a level every time I turn around. Really cool stuff.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Those're awsome! They remind me of Lego characters except a lot more interchangeable. Do you have any more planned?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Patraw

• Dracula's door mat
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Mark's Art Page
    • Awards

@X:  LEGOs mini figures are actually more interchangeable than these figures, as they have removable hands, the upper and lower bodies can be separated, etc.  LEGO is one of the things that inspired these though.

I may make some more, but there's no guarantee that they'd be Castlevania ones (I've been contemplating doing Chakan, the old Kenner Swamp Thing toys, and Bratzillaz dolls lately).

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
Make Shanoa, and try selling them to Konami. :)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Lol. As if Konami would have interest in those things.
But I'd love to see a Bratzillaz doll get transformed into Shanoa.

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
that pretty!! He is a good talent  :D creativity is the mother of ideas... or is it the same? xD

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Didnt noticed that before, for a work that took only five days, its unbelievably good.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Castlevania Currency is hearts, so...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
Just wondering, why was this topic suddenly bumped?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
New user was interested in this (in Alucard's voice)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
Alucard's voice lol jajajaj, it's great, I only saw the issue, and it is good :D
i'm sorry xD

anything