Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just another Castlevania fan-game...  (Read 66035 times)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »
I have a ps2 controller with an adapter to fit in a usb port and works, the only problem its where are the buttons (Jump=Square, Subweapon=X, whip=R1 and i cant find start so i press enter), so it works but since i attack with the R1 i fell like im playing a souls game or some 1st person shooter XD, not a problem but its funny.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »
Jop, hmmm, that's interesting. Well, for now I can only recommend to use some type of xinput emulator (MotionJoy, x360ce, BetterDS3). I'll add the gamepad config menu to my "todo" list.

Mr. Bones' Wild Ride never ends!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
I'll add the gamepad config menu to my "todo" list.

Sweet! Not enough homebrew game makers take the time to do this, sadly.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
Jop, hmmm, that's interesting. Well, for now I can only recommend to use some type of xinput emulator (MotionJoy, x360ce, BetterDS3). I'll add the gamepad config menu to my "todo" list.

Ups i was wrong, my nephew have the xpadder on when i test the game, it dosnt work but since i use xpadder its not a problem at least for me, sorry for that.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
No problem, that means lesser work for me.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2016, 04:01:03 AM »
Can someone explain to me, why is it happening in Game Maker?

for (i == 0; i < 10; i++)
      y = y+0.1;

show_debug_message(ystart);  // 0;
show_debug_message(y);  // 1.00
show_debug_message(y == ystart+1);  //FALSE!

WHY? OH GOD WHY AND HOW?

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
See that .00 after the 1 in your y value? That means you have a floating point error. 0.1 is not a power of 2 derivative, so you get that error.

In GM, 0+1 is "1", not "1.00"

Multiply 256 by any fractional value. If the result is not a whole number, GM will give you floating point errors when you try to use that fraction.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:33:20 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »
Thanks for the info! Can you tell me where I can learn more about this problem? I've tried to google it, but have no results.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
Something about it should be archived somewhere in the depths of the game maker community forum or the steam forums. If you tried Googling my name and floating point, you might find something.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2016, 06:52:04 AM »
the frame increases when image_index + image_speed = $100. With an image_speed of 0.5, it'd be $80 in single-byte form. $80+$80=$100, thus the frame increases. With 0.1 image_speed, $100*0.1=$19. $19*10 = $FA, so even after 10 frames it won't increment

That should be in the first pages of any GM-related documentary, I think EVERYONE must learn that.
Thanks a lot, I can't express my gratitude to you.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »
The demo is almost completed. Every planned feature is done, the "hard" difficulty included. Now I'm doing some final tests.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »

Windows version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhccgj5i9p4lc28/Castlevania%20demo%202%20fixed.exe?dl=0
Android version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/guaucso42dwo0s1/Castlevania%20demo%202.apk?dl=0

So, what's new?

Difficulty:
Normal is default. I recommend everyone to start with this one. I'm testing and polishing the game with this difficulty.

If you feel that game isn't too fair, you can try the "Easy" option. There will be more health, more hearts, one additional checkpoint per level. Checkpoints also restoring your hearts, not only HP.
The game isn't meant to be "easy" with this one, just less challenging.

If you want a real challenge, try the "Hard" option! Less health, less hearts, enemies' damage is increased, classic Holy Water sub-weapon, some inventory items are replaced with an instant-use health, you're receiving less extra HP per "soulsphere".
But it's still fair, I guess. Your weapons have the same damage, HP of your enemies isn't changed, deadly traps are as deadly as on other difficulties. All of this should push you towards classic "no-death no-subweapons" challenge.

Levels:
As I promised, there's 7 levels in total: City, Forest, Caves, Swamps, Bridge, Entrance and Prison. Some of them are longer than others, that's because some parts of them will be unlocked later - be ready for some backtracking.

Enemies:
Lots of them. But no demons from the last video, sorry (they will tear you apart anyway).
Also, bosses. The last one is quite... Experimental. And I don't sure about the Giant Bat. You'll see, just try.

Minor stuff:
- Extra keys for sub-weapon swap. Left/Right brackets, Q/E and L1/R1.
- Only one minor bug I know so far - while on stairs, sometimes you can attack in the opposite from your facing direction.
- Hitboxes. Fixed most of them, but still can be weird sometimes (inb4: Giant Skeleton)
- The name. Oh god, I REALLY need some help with it.

That's about 1/3 of the game, maybe less. For a future I'm thinking about two features (except default "moar levels/enemies/weapons/etc"):
 - Boss rush mode. Nuff said. I'll add it if you want it.
 - Classic mode. No branching paths, no backtracking - strictly linear walkthrough. Fixed max health/hearts, no inventory, only one sub-weapon in use... Maybe even the "extra lives" system.
 I'm not 100% sure about this one, but it is quite easy to add, can expand the main game quite a bit and also will fit for those people who dislikes the "Metroid-" additions.

And the last but not least - android version. After some tests I've found that there can be slight fps drop in rooms with a lot of visible light sources. Also, situation with the gamepad support is still unknown... Other than that there's no differences between main version.
 Still, I haven't enough time and reasons to maintain this version. If it will gain some popularity, I'll try to fix some problems and optimize it a bit more. But I can't do anything with the 4:3 aspect ratio, that will require to rebuild 1/2 of the game.

P.S.: The third post in a row. I hope nothing is wrong with that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:20:49 AM by Lanforse »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
Played to the Bridge and its awesome!!! and i hate the boss from the Bridge!!!

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
Hey, do you killed it now? What can you say about other bosses and levels?

It really bothers me that you're the only who played my demo so far...

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:47 AM »
It seems that if the skeleton archers are only barely visible (by which I mean you can just see a part of their bow) they won't attack just yet while you can safely pelt them with knives. This is on normal, BTW.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags:

anything