Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Van Helsing  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
I'm totally okay with this movie.  Why do so many people hate it?

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
I liked it. It's the most Castlevania-ish movie IMO.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
I'll just link to a movie review...

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/fbv/bmbe/32711-van-helsing

sums up all my thoughts...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
I like it. It was obviously inspired by cv and kinda went about making a movie the same way Konami's team made cv1.

Also, the guy doing the review comes off sounding and looking like film-school-know-it-all-asshole #2371 within the first 45 seconds.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:57:23 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
I'll just link to a movie review...

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/fbv/bmbe/32711-van-helsing

sums up all my thoughts...
Funny you should mention that, because

Film Brain's review of Van Helsing convinced me to watch Van Helsing.

And I liked it. I wonder how he feels about that.

Also, repeatedly saying "This is just like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and you guys know how that one turned out!" doesn't really work on someone who likes League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 11:00:53 PM »
It was a decent movie but I felt it relied heavily on cheap CGI most of the time, but it was a good popcorn flick so whatevs

and to add, I guess I would've prefered another actor to portray Van Helsing other than Wolverine Jackman for a change. I hate how Hollywood loves to recycle all the A-Listers in hero roles (Chris Evans as Johnny Storm/CapAm, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool/Green Lantern, Halle Berry as Storm/Catwoman, etc. I'm sure there are a hell of a lot more worthy actors that can portray Wolverine other than Jackman all the time, but i digress..)

I also hated how Dracula was portrayed. ugh.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
Only thing I didn't like about the plot was the whole thing where it takes a werewolf to kill Dracula. But I actually thought his portrayal was pretty well done and consistent. Anyway, were-Jackman should have gotten his ass whooped more before he pwned Drac. That fight was a bit of a let down. Still, it wasn't bad for a Hollywood Castlevania movie.
"Stuff and things."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
The review pretty much nails it. Cartoony overused CGI, uninterested actors and a silly Dracula.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
Not nearly as silly as the Dracula who's head comes flying off right before transforming into demonic cookie monster.

Incidentally, I fail to see how the CG was "cartoony". Compared to what?

Additionally, I have a pronounced disdain for people that presume to tell others whether an artistic work is good or bad simply because they were told by someone else, they paid to tell them, what they should properly consider good or bad.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:20:22 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
My only problem with the movie was the lame Dracula portrayal.

They really should have cast someone who could make dracula look sinister yet really cool and badass.

Other than that I pretty much liked the movie.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
I really really hated this movie... Its the first movie Ive actually come close to gettin up and walkin out of the theatre. As soon as they showed the actors face over the real pic of Vlad I was like 'Im done Im out' That was THE worst dracula Ive ever seen in anythin ever. He was horrible. Now years later I can watch it and not totally wanna kill mself but the scenes with him in it still get me

I really like the werewolves tho they looked good other than they didnt have tails. Best movie werewolves Ive seen next to Dog Soldiers. And you can never go wrong with Kate Beckinsale =D

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
Not nearly as silly as the Dracula who's head comes flying off right before transforming into demonic cookie monster.
That's more badass than silly

Incidentally, I fail to see how the CG was "cartoony". Compared to what?
I wouldn't call it cartoony but i'd say it's overused at literally every opportunity and even at times when it's not necessary (one scene comes to mind when werewolf-Gabriel reverts back to human at the end, and he's screaming NOOOO. It just looked retarded) It's more like "lets see how many toys we can sell by adding as much scifi shit as possible, which can't be done any other way unless we use CGI throughout the majority of the movie." I just think they could've handled it better, and I'm a sucker for quality puppetry & costumes (Pan's Labyrinth is a good example)than Van Helsing's computer grafix.

I guess I'm still spoiled over Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. I'd watch that movie over Van Helsing any day.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
I'd watch both, but for different reasons.
When I watch Van Helsing, I enjoy it as a popcorn flick and in my mind I'm saying to myself "Castlevania 1 has all of these nonsensical monsters from different time periods for no reason but the game is awesome.  This movie has nonsensical monsters from different time periods for no reason but the movie's awesome."  FrenchFries for the brain.

Bram Stoker's Dracula I watch because the cinematography is topnotch, the acting is pretty great, and I have always liked the plot and progression.

But I watch "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" for completely different reasons. :P :P :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
The movie was fun to watch. I'd have to agree it was as close to a CV movie as it ever got.

About the Dracula movies, I don't remember in which one it was... Maybe in Coppola's, maybe in Dead and Loving it, maybe both, they cut some characters and made major plot changes, which annoyed me.

I hate when they do it in movies. They make a book-to-film adaptation, then change stuff. Cutting out insignificant parts of the plot is reasonable, since they don't always have time to show all the events in the book. But sometimes, especially in older movies, they remove entire characters from the plot to save $$ on actors.

I remember that when I watched Troy I was incredibly annoyed by how they minimized the role of Odysseus so he wouldn't overshadow Achilles (Brad Pitt). Now that's blasphemy! Odysseus was the big hero in the story. After all, he's credited for creating the Trojan Horse.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
I immensely dislike Film Brain. He's so pretentious and snobby. And half the movies he reviews as bad are movies I found good.

I see no problem with Van Hellsing.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: