Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Victorian London / Medieval Games  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »
I'd like to get recommendations for this kind of games, if that's not asking much.
I'm really looking forward to playing Alice: Otherlands, sequel to Alice: Madness Returns and AMG's Alice, games set in Victorian London, which is one of the aesthetic I love the most.
I plan on playing Metro The Last Light soon too, which takes place in an alternate Victorian London.
But there are not many games with this setting, so it's difficult to know where to start looking.

And another setting I really enjoy is the medieval setting, but not just any medieval setting.
I really loved both Knights of the Temple games' look, though the first game was a boring button mashing and the second game is perhaps the most bugged game I've seen, but nevertheless I loved it because the atmosphere is AWESOME. Since that, I've been trying to find a game so immersive. The music, look of some places (like Sirmium, the Damned Roman City) and the quests gave it something special that makes it one of my favourite games ever, despite its many huge flaws.
Skyrim looks good, and also did Oblivion, but I never finished them.
I tried The Witcher 2, but the system was a little complex, so maybe I'll start by the first one.

What I'm looking is something with one of those aesthetic looks and that's not focused on action, but on exploration, secrets and quests, with heavy atmosphere and a music that goes along with that. I really don't care about the action parts.
Perhaps someone well versed on this kind of games can give me a few recommendations.
Thanks!  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »
Try Arcanum for a Victorian-style WRPG. The game has quite a few bugs and annoying flaws but overall it's an immersive RPG. It's like a combination of a classic "sword and sorcery" game with Fallout-style gameplay. The major theme is about a LotR style world with Elves, dwarves, humans and orks interactions during an industrial revolution. If you liked Fallout 1&2, you'd like this.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:56:39 AM »
I'm looking for this type of games my self, especially RPG games with that style, now let's see what can i offer......hmmmm.....

Haunting Ground, it's a very creepy game, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark stone  Evil Reigns, Koudelka, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile Leneth, Dracula the last sanctuary, Medievil, if i find, remember anything else, i'll post it.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Thanks to both!
Already played Haunting Ground, Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Dracula The Last Sanctuary, Vagrant Story and Medievil, but I'll be trying Arcanum, Dark Stone and Koudelka this weekend  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
I haven't played it, but the recent "Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing" seems to fit the bill. http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530/ the old not-offiically-related movie tie-in Van Helsing game for the PS2/Xbox was a pretty decent but short Devil May Cry clone with a Medieval/Gothic Victorian setting. (Heard the GBA game was awful though.)

There is a fanpatch for Arcanum by the way, which fixes a lot of the bugs http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/dest/uap.html there's also optional "better town" mods and a widescreen mod, though I don't recommend this last mod as when I used it it made all of the characters and dialog/items so small I couldn't play the game.

PS- Try looking for games and things with the word "Steampunk". Steampunk is the genre of fiction that takes place in either an alternate, more technologically advanced Victorian era or a Victorian-inspired/influenced alternate present/future, usually with prominent use of "steam" technology. (Think trains.) It was a niche genre since the 80s, where it was an offshoot of the "Cyberpunk" movement, but has recently exploded in popularity with lots of visual art, books, music, movies and games.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:00:12 PM by Ratty »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
Reading about Van Helsing, it came to my mind this one, vampire hunter D for the psx.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
Reading about Van Helsing, it came to my mind this one, vampire hunter D for the psx.

Which is based on the second Vampire Hunter D movie iirc ("Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust") and that's based on the third of many Vampire Hunter D novels. As a Castlevania fan I highly recommend the 2 Vampire Hunter D movies, though the books have come out a little awkward in their English translations.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, i'll check them when i have the time.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
Yes, I've been trying to get some new genre games on that genre, Metro The Last Light seems to fit the description.
Thanks for the info!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
The only thing that comes into my mind that I'm sure you guys haven't played is Kuroshitsuji:Phantom and Ghost.
It is a visual novel type of game with some mini games. I love the puzzle part.
I don't know if it has been translated by fans into English.

Offline Grethor

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Victorian London / Medieval Games
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
+1
I beleive Dishonored is heavily modeled after Edinburgh and is set in a steampunk world, looking forward to playing that myself.

Also I highly recommend Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, if you're into adventure games. It is set in Victorian London with all of it's delicious trappings, and is a macabre Lovecraftian tale to boot.

Tags: