Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 192184 times)

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #690 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
I viewed this season with the mindset that this animation is an alternative universe and in the point of view of someone who just heard of Castlevania (unburdened by the canon lore that we know). Well, with those frame of mind, I'd say, this season is good.
I love Alucard as the show stopper (but really, it should have been Trevor). Sypha is great. :)
I watched this with Japanese audio and English subs, because JP VAs. I still laugh with the reality that Ryotaro Okiayu is Trevor. Shinichiro Miki as usual is awesome. :)

But viewing it with the canon lore in mind, yes, I'm happy with the Easter eggs, but there's more left to be desired.
Then again, I'm reminded that this is an adaptation and not the canon lore, so yeah, a good season with a cliffhanger ending for COD season 3. I wonder if they'll make a season for Rondo and another for SOTN? I really want a SOTN season.

Probably; SOTN is the most popular entry by far.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #691 on: November 02, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
I don't see how they can do SoTN now without it being incredibly redundant.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #692 on: November 02, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »
I don't see how they can do SoTN now without it being incredibly redundant.
Actually with the exception of the ending, which will end up having some similarities, of course... it could be quite different.  You've got a possessed Belmont, a dark priest, the succubus nightmare, etc... the story isn't too long, so if they do SotN it will likely share its season with Rondo of Blood as well... if they're smart, they'll also pull elements from Nocturne of Recollection.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #693 on: November 02, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
yeah it wouldnt be so hard. Despite this adaptation focusing a lot on alucard, it doesn not really go too in depth with him outside of implying he's a deeper character. After all, the end scene was touching, but hardly a whole lot. symphony could touch far more upon the relationship between Dracula and Alucard, and the kind of family dynamic that existed in the castle. The kind of man Dracula was becoming *before* lisa was killed. Real beauty and the Beast type shit.

And there's more to do. there's the succubus nightmare, which would be neat, posessed Richter acting as lord of the castle, who can obviously be a fakeout villain for a season, there's maria, shaft, death (if they get around to that)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #694 on: November 02, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
I'm quite sure that they've given Death's role to Isaac (which I am NOT happy about, btw).  I have been replaying Curse of Darkness, testing out some stuff, and Zead has some lines about purification (referring to the curse).  I expect Isaac will be looking to revive Dracula.  Isaac may also end up taking Shaft's role... who knows?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: November 02, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
+1
Quote from: Gaawa-chan
* Make it clear that Alucard was present when his mother said her final words, but had arrived too late to save her/was incapable of reaching her where she was.

This is a bit of side note but I noticed over the years a lot of people asking the question: "why didn't Alucard safe Lisa?". However, this question is actually answered in SotN (in the dream sequence).  Lisa asks Alucard not to save her because: "if my death will bring happiness to everyone, I will gladly die" (Japanese version) In other words, her death is an act of self-sacrifice. Of course this wouldn't work in the Netflix show because she got turned from a saintlike figure into Smug Atheist Scientist Woman. Which goes to show Ellis has a really poor grasp of the characters he's supposed to be adapting. 

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #696 on: November 02, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
didnt ellis admit hes never played a castlevania game? he went into it simply seeing "hey this series is like a sendup of hammer horror" and thats about as deep as he got outside of being handed some ayami kojima illustrations and broad plot synopsis
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #697 on: November 02, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
Which goes to show Ellis has a really poor grasp of the characters he's supposed to be adapting.

which is doubly weird as he for some reason got pretty close with the sotn-yanked alu/drac angst

maybe that's the only one he went and played, or people other than ellis contributed to that nugget of writing

fuck if i know, though

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #698 on: November 02, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
"if my death will bring happiness to everyone, I will gladly die" (Japanese version)
Mm, call me crazy but I think that change was actually a good call.  "Nah, son, let me burn to death and traumatize you and your father.  It's cool, because these people want to burn me to death. :D"
Saints don't die for no damn reason.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #699 on: November 02, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
Mm, call me crazy but I think that change was actually a good call.  "Nah, son, let me burn to death and traumatize you and your father.  It's cool, because these people want to burn me to death. :D"
Saints don't die for no damn reason.
For real... that's worse than superman's dad in Man of Steel...  Also I have to lol at the "smug atheist scientist woman" comment above.  Some people have a hard time hiding their feelings on certain topics...  There is nothing more saint like than healing people, given the time period, and the idea of her being a healer, the changes here were 100% warranted.  I've got my problems with plenty of the changes in this series, there characterization of Lisa is not one of them.  The kind of character some people seem to have wanted would be a completely 2 dimensional bore.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #700 on: November 02, 2018, 05:58:29 PM »
As where talking about Season 2 does this not remind anyone of the belmont hold?

As  it does look a lot like it, i'm not saying that it is, but  the guys that work on the TV show maybe saw this and thought

"Hey wouldn't it be cool if they had like a secret hold under the house"

And looking at, it really reminds me of the hold, but maybe that's just me.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #701 on: November 02, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
+1
Also I have to lol at the "smug atheist scientist woman" comment above.  Some people have a hard time hiding their feelings on certain topics... [...] The kind of character some people seem to have wanted would be a completely 2 dimensional bore.

"This has nothing to do with God" [backpedals immediately in response to Bishop's glare]
"Oh no he's worse than Satan, because he actually exists!!!!"

All that was left was for Lisa to tip her huge fedora. This is kindergarden, Facebook meme-level atheism. Lisa couldn't even be an agnostic atheist, no, she KNOWS FOR SURE Satan isn't real. And all that in a world implying that God does, indeed, exist. So, beyond edgy, she's also wrong.

Also, "obviously evil bishop", "drunkard asshole Belmont", "emo Alucard", "quirky teenager Sypha", "extreme mourning Dracula that is tired all the time", "manipulative femme fatale Carmilla", "easily manipulable idiot Hector", "wise elderly Sypha grandpa" these are very clear 2-dimentional archetype bores. So, one more 2D bore, one less, would make no difference. The characters have the depth of a puddle, except maybe Isaac, which became my favorite because of stronger writing (loves master, still turns on him showing greater self-respect. Is willing to give his life for someone that has superior intellect to save said superior intellect. Is rightfully the one closest to Dracula due to loyalty, unlike his "shunned imperfect Igor" game counterpart. Seems to genuinely go with Hector's plan, immediately notifies Dracula about it. Moral failure of oppressed wanting to become oppressor. Etc I could go on, he has very powerful humanity to him, you can't easily lock him into one archetype).

Mind that archetypes are not bad per-se, archetypes are useful. But here they were written in the shallowest, most predictable way possible.

Also, please stop implying people are "hiding" something, that their criticism MUST have some ulterior motive or come from some bias. This only works to tarnish the conversation and turns it against you i.e: "why are you defending it so much, are you hiding something?"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:18:24 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #702 on: November 02, 2018, 08:07:54 PM »
Also speaking of the Japanese SoTN does anyone else feel like we where robed with First translation, I've felt that it was so much deeper and  made so much more sense to the rest of the plot line and things and read about the plot line. like that part where Alucard spoke to Richter  at the end. that now really make sense why he passed on the whip, or to me at least.

And the PSP one but that's not perfect.

But Now... back to Season 2
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:13:02 PM by Guy Belmont »
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #703 on: November 02, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
+1
"This has nothing to do with God" [backpedals immediately in response to Bishop's glare]
"Oh no he's worse than Satan, because he actually exists!!!!"

All that was left was for Lisa to tip her huge fedora. This is kindergarden, Facebook meme-level atheism.
That scene was genuinely awful, lol.  No one in their right mind would behave like that around a bunch of authority figures who have burst into your home and started rummaging through your stuff in the 1470's.  Probably my least favorite scene in the show just because of the horrible script.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #704 on: November 03, 2018, 12:57:24 AM »
Also speaking of the Japanese SoTN does anyone else feel like we where robed with First translation, I've felt that it was so much deeper and  made so much more sense to the rest of the plot line and things and read about the plot line. like that part where Alucard spoke to Richter  at the end. that now really make sense why he passed on the whip, or to me at least.

And the PSP one but that's not perfect.

But Now... back to Season 2

The Japanese SOTN is of course better than all translations but even if it has the deepest plot among all, please be reminded that IGA wanted to add more plot, but did not do so. Maybe all the missing plot went into Nocturne of Recollection?

Tags:

anything