Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami Facebook team responding to Operation: Akumajo  (Read 150522 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Konami Facebook team responding to Operation: Akumajo
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
Ok, so what just happened here? I'm not going to ask what you wrote to her but clearly it was something intimidating since she's nowhere to be seen.
Which is a shame because her suggestions were all fine and, most noteworthy, there were no demands being made, just polite language all through.

While I admire your willingness to take a stand and honestly express how you are feeling, in my mind, there is no doubt that Sindras approach is overwhelmingly more appealing to both fans and developers.

Your initiave was a great achievement but I feel the whole operation can reach more people if you think about the language you are using. One of the reasons I personally chose not to join in the effort was because of it.

Be well and good luck! :)

I don't think that's it.  Sindra's just not as active as the rest of us.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »
Just playing hard to get amirite guys

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
Ok, so what just happened here? I'm not going to ask what you wrote to her but clearly it was something intimidating since she's nowhere to be seen.
Which is a shame because her suggestions were all fine and, most noteworthy, there were no demands being made, just polite language all through.

While I admire your willingness to take a stand and honestly express how you are feeling, in my mind, there is no doubt that Sindras approach is overwhelmingly more appealing to both fans and developers.

Your initiave was a great achievement but I feel the whole operation can reach more people if you think about the language you are using. One of the reasons I personally chose not to join in the effort was because of it.

Be well and good luck! :)

Don't read too much into it.  Sindra's been somewhat critical but always fair-minded, and I respect her greatly.  I passed along some private information that I'm not ready to make public --gave her just a few things to think about.  When she suggested Occupy Castlevania, it sounded like she was willing to take the initiative and lead by example.  I am patiently awaiting her response...

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
I'd follow Sindra if she leads the charge in a completely new organization with no ties of Operation Akumajo.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
11 pages of this........... really?

With all the whining about Konami that goes on in these forums here is a thought: why don't you all stop being lazy, go out and teach yourselves some basic coding/game design, gather up your talents, get together, and MAKE A GAME!?

Seriously.......... it's not that hard peoples.  And stuff like this (complaining about recent Castlevania games) has been going on for AT LEAST 2-3 years here. In that time many of you could have learned sooooooo much about doing it already. :rollseyes:
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Anonym

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
Don't read too much into it.  Sindra's been somewhat critical but always fair-minded, and I respect her greatly.  I passed along some private information that I'm not ready to make public --gave her just a few things to think about.  When she suggested Occupy Castlevania, it sounded like she was willing to take the initiative and lead by example.  I am patiently awaiting her response...

I see.
By the way, what did you think about her project, as a whole and the specific appeals she mentioned.
Is there something from it you think you could use?

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
With all the whining about Konami that goes on in these forums here is a thought: why don't you all stop being lazy, go out and teach yourselves some basic coding/game design, gather up your talents, get together, and MAKE A GAME!?

Two reasons
1. Fangames are illegal, they are a breach of copyright and
2. If the community were to actually band together and create a quality Fangame game then Konami would be well within their rights to shut it down whenever they felt like it and the likelihood of this occurring would only increase with the quality of such a project.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
I'am so freaking lost right now I have not been in here for a while what the crap is happening? To stressed right now with finals coming up so be gentle on me. Are we talking 2-d, new teams what? I am lost  :-\
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
go out and teach yourselves some basic coding/game design, gather up your talents, get together, and MAKE A GAME!?

8)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »

Two reasons
1. Fangames are illegal, they are a breach of copyright and

This in itself is wrong; there are plenty of fan games out there that say INSPIRED BY **INSERT GAME NAME**, and are made from scratch, and thus are not illegal.  Even though we all know what they are actually a clone of. :rollseyes:

On that note: if you are soooooooooo worried about the legality of such things, why do you have signature that uses copyright material in itself? That is what we call hypocrisy.  :-\

2. If the community were to actually band together and create a quality Fangame game then Konami would be well within their rights to shut it down whenever they felt like it and the likelihood of this occurring would only increase with the quality of such a project.

What a piss poor excuse to be lazy, and not even try. Never heard of the SOR remake have you? Or SOG I assume (quake 2: generations basically)?

Plenty of community projects get completed, without issues.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:47:19 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
It's only illegal if you use the same graphics and use the same title. Leave "Castlevania" out of the title until Konami OKs it. Simple as that.

Then you have stuff int he history of gaming like the Shining series. USed to be made by Camelot, now it's made by some guys who for whatever reason gave their own game the Shining name even though it doesn't play like any of the Shining games (except maybe Wisdom). Then there's Counter-Strike. Originally was a free-to-play mod for Half-Life, then Valve turned its Source Engine sequel into a money-maker (for a year or two). The They Hunger mod for Half-Life is even distributed by Steam, even though it would fall under the "illegal fan game" category.

Seem also to forget that Konami isn't a single group of programmers, it's a company that hires various programmers to make games for it. Same with Sega and Nintendo and Microsoft. Even Square(soft) is comprised of differing groups of programmers. Probably no one has offered up a tantalizing sequel for Castlevania to IGA, that's why we only got LoS.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
11 pages of this........... really?

Seriously.......... it's not that hard peoples.  And stuff like this (complaining about recent Castlevania games) has been going on for AT LEAST 2-3 years here. In that time many of you could have learned sooooooo much about doing it already. :rollseyes:

In a perfect world, the fans would have all the time, resources, passion, and talent for that sort of thing...  Hats off to those of you that do --your guys' handiwork really puts Konami to shame sometimes.

I see.
By the way, what did you think about her project, as a whole and the specific appeals she mentioned.
Is there something from it you think you could use?

I think the differences she's highlighting are more in style of engagement than the substance of the objectives.  With that said, a competition would be counter-productive if we ultimately want the same things --especially when you consider how fractured the Castlevania fanbase already is.  As for implementing her ideas --my door is wide, wide open.  I'm more than willing to negotiate with anyone who's ready to step up and make some real contributions with their time and energy --even if that means compromising the activism.  Just remember, even if drastic changes are made, there's always going someone complaining about something.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
@Esco: Judging by the fact that your own pet project is a hack of a popular Castlevania game it would be pointless arguing the legality of fangames. Nothing short of a cease and desist notice would sway your stance.

The main point that I am trying to get across is OA has very little to gain from a fan game project. It isn't going to help the operation's reputation with Konami by pursuing illegal means and they would have no issues with shutting down such a project.

The possibility of a fangame project being shutdown is not a "piss poor excuse to be lazy". It would be stupid to pursue something you know is going to get pulled the moment it gains any popularity. Chrono resurrection is a perfect example of this.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
runs in a circle

(POSTED BY ME ABOVE)
On that note: if you are soooooooooo worried about the legality of such things, why do you have signature that uses copyright material in itself? That is what we call hypocrisy.  :-\

You also obviously ignored when I stated that there are in fact ways to make fan games that are 100% legal.  :rollseyes:

In a perfect world, the fans would have all the time, resources, passion, and talent for that sort of thing...  Hats off to those of you that do --your guys' handiwork really puts Konami to shame sometimes.

Don't get me wrong Cecil: I give you mad props for getting active and actually doing something. Especially in the face of all those people who just seem to be criticizing every stupid little thing about what you are doing. My comment was geared more towards all those people who have the dedication level of a grapefruit, and can do nothing but criticize everyone else's work all day long, while contributing little to nothing at all. Which is a big reason why most professional game developers, and even fan project members generally do not associate with the public much, if at all.

I will say this also: a perfect world has nothing to do with it. Taking the initiative (like you have done) and not being lazy is what makes the difference. And sadly, most people don't want to do that. It is this exact reason why so many projects go unfinished, with their makers saying that it is due to life being too busy, or lack of support, or the sky not being the right color, or **INSERT EXCUSE HERE.**

If we had more people with your level of drive, this "community" would be much better off than it is, as would the Castlevania franchise in general. Kudos to you for not being like 90% of the masses, and actually getting up and doing something.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:25:27 AM by Esco »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
Esco's project isn't just a hack, it's a PC remake.

And people are forgetting Mega Man 7! (and 8...) The Famicomization of Mega Man 7 is still available for download at its site, and if that ain't an "illegal fan game", I don't know what is. Capcom hasn't done anything to stop it. And Konami has yet to even try to put a halt to Castlevania clones. Komajou Densetsu II is still up for download at its site, and it's a blatant "ripoff" of SOTN. So all this "illegal fan game" talk is pointless. Konami wants people to make fan games, otherwise the company will completely lose its foothold in the market.

What it boils down to is Konami won't go after fan games unless there's money to be made in doing so. Most fan games won't step into the realm of cutting into Konami's profits, at least in the Castlevania franchise. Yugioh was a different matter, since shutting down a free-to-play online Yugioh game meant Konami could then market a pay-to-play Yugioh online game. In the case of Castlevania, there's nothing for Konami to worry about and it might cost them more money to worry about it. Esco may be playing with fire, but he's about the only one. ... Well, ROM hax themselves are bad too, but that's not what we're talking about here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:09:27 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything