Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami Facebook team responding to Operation: Akumajo  (Read 150550 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Konami Facebook team responding to Operation: Akumajo
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
I think it's because for the last few years Konami really tried to make Castlevania relevant in Japan.

Examining the data....
Lords of Shadow PS3 http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/35059/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/
Lords of Shadow 360 http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/35060/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

Total US Sales:  473,654 (55.64% of Global Sales)
-- 16.39% sold the first week
-- 53.83% sold the first ten weeks
--still going strong after the first 3 months

Total EU Sales:  265,754 (31.21% of Global Sales)
-- 17.07% sold the first week
-- 69.60% sold the first ten weeks
--sales weakened after 3 months

Total JP Sales:  111,827 (13.13% of Global Sales)
-- 33.17% sold the first week
-- 75.87% sold in the first 10 weeks
--major sales decline after 3 months

...it looks like Lords of Shadow may not have impressed the Japanese as much as Konami hoped.  Although 111,827 copies have sold there, that currently amounts to less than 14% of the total global sales.   It's also interesting to note 37,000 of those copies were sold the first week, followed by a much sharper decline than the western sales.  Dedicated fans and hardcore gamers tend to line up for the day one purchase whenever possible, but a mainstream audience is needed to keep sales going strong over time.  The US definitely had the buzz and the glowing reviews to lure the mainstream, but Japan is looking like another story...

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
When it comes to Japan it is always one week and that is it hell even Zelda skyward sword is not selling that much over there the only game series I have found to do well in Japan are Final Fantasy,Dragon Warrior,Mario, and hell even to a point Devil May Cry (which is funny I do not see how the hell Devil may cry is more popular than castlevania it's like DMC is like Castlevania's hyperactive off spring that every one just loves while CV is just that once well respected adult that just got put into a retirement home to be put into a corner playing bingo and tapioca pudding), and to a point the tales of series, Xilla did really and I mean really well. At least from my understanding Lords has reached over 1million copies now I believe the ps3 sold 0.64m and 360 0.37m which is better than it's competition vanquish and enslaved. Vanquish did well in japan,but due to Japan's sale's tendency to drop like a ton of bricks it just crashed in the end sort of.
Enslaved on the other hand just crashed and burned all the way to the deepest part of hell.

Here are the sales from top best to worst bottom.

PS3

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/35059/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/42969/vanquish/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/44878/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/44879/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/35060/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/42970/vanquish/

Now let's take Los success into some kind of consideration it did well it has reached the one 1 million mark, heck it did better than Other M 0.93M  http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/35086/metroid-other-m/

Los combined 0.64M + 0.37M = 1.01M and remember Los did not have commercials of any sort it for the most part except in Japan compared to others from my understanding.

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West TV Spot

Vanquish - Spot TV

Vanquish - Launch Trailer (made by Maverick)

Metroid Other M Live Action Commercial [HD]

[Minna no NC] Metroid: Other M - Commercial 1

Vanquish 1st commercial sony ps3 xbox x360 xbox360 JP jpn japanese japan

Castlevania Lords of Shadow commercial PS3 sony playstation3 JP jpn japanese japan

I think it's because for the last few years Konami really tried to make Castlevania relevant in Japan.

Look at this 

Castlevania-Lords of Shadow- SPECIAL STAGE(2010年9月19日)

Some kind of attempt has been made, but one way I think for castlevania to gain the heart of japan again is to beat other action games to me it has to be dmc.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
...it looks like Lords of Shadow may not have impressed the Japanese as much as Konami hoped.
I should have added that I talked about pre-LOS games. Since it's kind of obvious that LOS was created with western fans in mind.

Basically every 2D CV game after HOD was made to cater to japanese tastes (save for 3D titles). AOS had anime-inspired stoyline, DOS had animeisque illustrations and story, POR had the same animeique style and characters were tailored to fit animeish stereotypes. OOE was more mature, but still it had japanese influence in the design of the main heroine. Happily that pretty much where that previously overwhelming influence ended.
Then there is Judgement, wjich I believed had Obata as character designer for the sole reason to sell this game to the Death Note fans.

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
After everything that has happened, why do I feel like 2011 was the worst year to be a Castlevania AND Megaman fan?

I really hope that next year, things will be better, but with Konami and Capcom's attitude as of late, it seems extremely unlikely. Only time will tell, I suppose. =/

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
^^^ Add on to that it's the 25th FUCKIN Anniversary of CV! These things are supposed to be GREAT, not let downs.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
The 25th anniversary of Zelda was what I imagined this year would have looked like for Castlevania.

Oh well.   

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
For CV to make a truthful return, let's revisit with a 2D adventure. Not a 3d spectacle.
We have explored 3d enough, and know its a difficult terrain to cover. (*Honestly I don't agree with having to buy a separate chapter just to finish a game. Its sounds ridiculous and a crummy idea to begin with) Seeing how LOS delivered content in such a manner is negative aspect towards the fanbase. And there are many of us out there. If CV can make a comeback, give it time, and deliver a solid title. We know that it can be done.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
After everything that has happened, why do I feel like 2011 was the worst year to be a Castlevania AND Megaman fan?

I really hope that next year, things will be better, but with Konami and Capcom's attitude as of late, it seems extremely unlikely. Only time will tell, I suppose. =/

^^^ Add on to that it's the 25th FUCKIN Anniversary of CV! These things are supposed to be GREAT, not let downs.

The 25th anniversary of Zelda was what I imagined this year would have looked like for Castlevania.

Oh well.

For CV to make a truthful return, let's revisit with a 2D adventure. Not a 3d spectacle.
We have explored 3d enough, and know its a difficult terrain to cover. (*Honestly I don't agree with having to buy a separate chapter just to finish a game. Its sounds ridiculous and a crummy idea to begin with) Seeing how LOS delivered content in such a manner is negative aspect towards the fanbase. And there are many of us out there. If CV can make a comeback, give it time, and deliver a solid title. We know that it can be done.

2011 may be a lost cause, but there's no sense dwelling on it.  The big question we should be asking is "What do we do now?"  The fact is that Konami will never heed our cries as long as we're squabbling amongst ourselves.  We Castlevania fans really need to start building bridges and working together on the causes that we can agree on.  Operation: Akumajo hasn't been entirely successful, but it hasn't been a complete failure either.  And it's probably a good thing to be working out the growing pains now, before Castlevania is back in the news.  So when the publicity comes, we're a little wiser in our approach.  A couple pages back, someone asked me about the message I sent to Sindra...  Let me share a just small part of that message with you now....

You've also pointed out a few times in the past that Operation: Akumajo has some negative baggage.  This isn't as pervasive as you're thinking and what is out there can be overcome by making changes in management, a little diplomacy, and some retooling of the existing Mission Statement and related media.  Also consider that Operation: Akumajo has had almost zero publicity in the mainstream gaming press, because Castlevania just wasn't making any hard news these last few months that we came together.  The fact is that only the hardest of the hardcore even know about us --most Castlevania fans are preoccupied enjoying other games that are out there right now.  But when the next Lords of Shadow game is finally announced, the opportunities to ride that publicity for positive exposure will be nearly limitless.

Just a few numbers to help put this in perspective.  The DS Castlevanias sold an average of about 320,000 copies each.  The Dracula X Chronicles sold about 350,000 copies (not including digital downloads). Konami's official Castlevania page currently has about 157,000 fans (with just a few hundred actively engaged and participating).  The Castlevania Dungeon has around 1600 members, with perhaps a hundred participating regularly (and maybe a couple hundred more lurking).  Operation: Akumajo has almost 300 members, and our most popular Youtube video (The Anniversary Tribute) has about 3200 views.  The bottom line?  An untapped Castlevania fanbase --and a potential audience of supporters yet to be reached, that still numbers in the tens of thousands...

So take heart my friends, and don't worry --this isn't over...   ;)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
Guys, GUYSSSS!

VGchartz FUCKING SUCKS. Stop getting numbers from that horrible site.

The only numbers you can count on are NPD, Media Create/Famitsu/Enterbrain (for japanese games). VGchartz are simply ridiculous, with no official source to backup them at all.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
And this project will bring money because...?
In order for CV to be big, it must be a hit, not nostalgia filled "king-for-a-day" that will be forgotten, when another "remix form the past" will be released. And I don't think that developers will put big money into creation of 2D game for the PS3 / BOX360. If anything it could be project for the NDS / Vita or for Live or PSN, but it's unlikely that it would be an imminent sensation that make think Konami that they "doing something wrong" with the series.

Seeing how LOS delivered content in such a manner is negative aspect towards the fanbase.
It's normal business model in modern gaming. Practically every big project nowadays have some DLC content, be it new levels, modes or costumes. I dislike it, but it's not deliberate insult towards fanbase, just the way how developers make money nowadays.

But when the next Lords of Shadow game is finally announced, the opportunities to ride that publicity for positive exposure will be nearly limitless.
There is no words how to describe, how I doubt that possibility.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
And this project will bring money because...?
In order for CV to be big, it must be a hit, not nostalgia filled "king-for-a-day" that will be forgotten, when another "remix form the past" will be released. And I don't think that developers will put big money into creation of 2D game for the PS3 / BOX360. If anything it could be project for the NDS / Vita or for Live or PSN, but it's unlikely that it would be an imminent sensation that make think Konami that they "doing something wrong" with the series.

QUALITY makes money.

Lords of Shadow didn't sell just because it was 3-D, it sold because it was a high quality product.  New Super Mario didn't sell just because it was 2-D, it sold because it was a high quality product.  Now Konami could go off and make another cheap, mishmash full of recycled ideas and recycled graphics --or they could get serious about developing an ambitious 2-D game to its fullest creative and technical potential.  Dracula X Chronicles was a big step in the right direction, but it was a remake and it certainly wasn't developed for the most ideal system to reach the Castlevania fanbase...

We could certainly settle for handhelds, but why?  We've been settling for handhelds for nearly 15 years.  Just consider the 3DS is far more powerful than the N64, and I can remember when the N64 was just "too powerful" to be wasted on 2-D games.  And if I recall correctly, the Vita is about as powerful as the PS3 anyway, so what's the difference?  Some of us are getting too old to be squinting at these tiny handheld screens for hours at a time.

There is no words how to describe, how I doubt that possibility.

It's very simple.  When Castlevania is back in the news, the wayward fans will start coming home.  They'll visit Castlevania websites.  They'll commune on Castlevania forums.  They'll read Castlevania news.  They'll search Google, Facebook, and Youtube for all things Castlevania...

And we will be there, waiting with open arms to welcome them.   :D

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
Now Konami could go off and make another cheap, mishmash full of recycled ideas and recycled graphics --or they could get serious about developing an ambitious 2-D game to its fullest creative and technical potential.  Dracula X Chronicles was a big step in the right direction, but it was a remake and it certainly wasn't developed for the most ideal system to reach the Castlevania fanbase...
Now this is where I see the biggest problem with 2D Castlevanias.
Development of the high quality 2D game will take, most likely, as much money nowadays as development of the 3D title. I don't think that Konami honestly believes in 2D future of the series, especially given Harmony of Despair treatment, that by the end was filled wth lazy copypaste from 8bit games (!!).
If there will be a new fresh 2D title in the series, it probably will be a downloadable relatively short game. And I doubt that is exactly what OA strives to.
In other words - Konami want to make money and they'll do what is considered popular nowadays. 2D games are a mostly a niche market for netwroks and portable consoles and I doubt that Konami will consider a really big 2D title for the PS3 / Box360. Or even if they do, it will not be a Castlevania.

It's very simple.  When Castlevania is back in the news, the wayward fans will start coming home.  They'll visit Castlevania websites.  They'll commune on Castlevania forums.  They'll read Castlevania news.  They'll search Google, Facebook, and Youtube for all things Castlevania...
And they'll see group of old-school fans who demand Castlevania to be made by standards of 1997. [sarcasm]Sure it would rise the popularity of the project.[/sarcasm]
In reality it will may attract certain people (read: old school fans, who disatisfied with changes for whatever reason), but I doubt it will get major coverage in gaming press and all that jazz. Most likely OA would be seen as another attempt of antique fanboys to turn time backwards.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Now this is where I see the biggest problem with 2D Castlevanias.
Development of the high quality 2D game will take, most likely, as much money nowadays as development of the 3D title. I don't think that Konami honestly believes in 2D future of the series, especially given Harmony of Despair treatment, that by the end was filled wth lazy copypaste from 8bit games (!!).
If there will be a new fresh 2D title in the series, it probably will be a downloadable relatively short game. And I doubt that is exactly what OA strives to.
In other words - Konami want to make money and they'll do what is considered popular nowadays. 2D games are a mostly a niche market for netwroks and portable consoles and I doubt that Konami will consider a really big 2D title for the PS3 / Box360. Or even if they do, it will not be a Castlevania.

Unfortunately, we're at a disadvantage since the industry doesn't routinely publish their data on the cost of game development.  People are usually the primary expense in any industry, and since most people are paid by the hour --the most expensive games are probably those that spend the most time in development --regardless of whether it's a 2-D or a 3-D game.  But without any hard data, that's just idle speculation...

As for Konami doing what's popular to make money...  Well that's really the heart of the game industry, isn't it?  Konami is content being just  another trend-chasing drone like Capcom and Square Enix --hardly any innovation or ambition between the 3 of them whatsoever.

And they'll see group of old-school fans who demand Castlevania to be made by standards of 1997. [sarcasm]Sure it would rise the popularity of the project.[/sarcasm]
In reality it will may attract certain people (read: old school fans, who disatisfied with changes for whatever reason), but I doubt it will get major coverage in gaming press and all that jazz. Most likely OA would be seen as another attempt of antique fanboys to turn time backwards.

In the first half of your response, you just acknowledged OA wants a "high quality 2D game".  But here you just wrote us off as a bunch of "antique fanboys" that seeks to "turn time backwards" by demanding "standards of 1997".  It may be several pages back now, but I explained to Flame in some detail why CV Rebirth fell short of what OA stands for.  If you want, you can go back and read it...  Long story short --Rebirth had tons of wasted potential, and it doesn't make sense to keep producing games that could've been made for the PS1 over 15 years ago.  OA believes in seeing 2-D Castlevania retake its rightful place as a state of the art franchise.  Here is an excerpt from the Mission Statement to help clarify some of the specifics....

First, we believe Konami should finish the original continuity by reinstating Koji Igarashi to produce the "1999 Demon Castle War" as it was originally foretold by Aria of Sorrow over 8 years ago. Naturally, we expect this game to honor the Castlevania legacy by embracing the highest standards of 2-D gameplay, graphics, and design.

Secondly, we concede the Castlevania brand needs a reboot --however, we insist the Akumajo mythology be respected in doing so. Therefore, we believe Konami needs to redesign and remaster Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. Revisiting these old roots will properly introduce a new generation of players to the original Castlevania story, and also pay appropriate tribute to longtime fans of the series. We expect this remake to honor the original, but also demonstrate the same modern standards desired of the Demon Castle War.

Castlevania has been in decline for a very long time. Therefore, these games must be treated as serious investments with adequate resources, time, and attention to reach their fullest creative and technical potential. Moreover, we also insist that both games be developed in high definition for release on modern home consoles.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
Man so much bickering just move foward with the franchise I love me some good old 2-d goodness but hell look towards the future we have to crack open that door. For way too long these other action games have over shadowed cv it has to move foward to just even survive, yet people still want to hold on to blah blah 2-d stay 2-d boat what is so bad about moving foward an to try to better it's self? Hell in the end I really do not care, all what I just want is a awesome well polished Cv game just give time,effort the series deserves and it should sell well right?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
My honest opinion is both 2-d and 3-d cv games are good. Whatever direction they decide to go is up to them. I like both those types plus the differences between standard cv1,3,4,rondo style and games more like cv2 or sotn metroidvania styles are nice too. The fact that they change it up and try different things each game is exciting. I honestly think for me a good storyline,strong gameplay and well rounded characters,enemies and bosses make a great game. I'd say stay away from regurgated enemies or bosses. Something with uniqueness would be great, something not yet done. Maybe a storyline or gameplay that hasn't  really happened. Unigue storylines are key. 8)

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Tags: