Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Savage :The Shard of Gosen  (Read 42082 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned so I apologise for the repeat. I noticed one glaring issue while playing the game a second time. It had to do with the elevator ramp. I managed to ride the elevator to the upper floor but then I was killed and had to restart back in the dungeons. I went back to the elevator and hit the switch, however there was no indicator that I had called the elevator. I hit the switch numerous times, even waiting around for minutes at a time, and still nothing. Having an indicator to let the player know the elevator is on its way would be a big help. But since the elevator never came down then that in itself is another issue to bring to your attention. Thanks.

PS. I finally found out how to get the keys  :D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned so I apologise for the repeat. I noticed one glaring issue while playing the game a second time. It had to do with the elevator ramp. I managed to ride the elevator to the upper floor but then I was killed and had to restart back in the dungeons. I went back to the elevator and hit the switch, however there was no indicator that I had called the elevator. I hit the switch numerous times, even waiting around for minutes at a time, and still nothing. Having an indicator to let the player know the elevator is on its way would be a big help. But since the elevator never came down then that in itself is another issue to bring to your attention. Thanks.

PS. I finally found out how to get the keys  :D

Thanks for reporting that! This was fixed in the latest weekly update (http://gamejolt.com/games/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-alpha/16310)-- wait time is cut down for the elevator -- i.e., when you call the elevator from the bottom or top floors, the elevator position now resets itself to be in the same room you are, just outside of your view. Though, if you repeatedly hit the lever, it might cause a bug to reverse the elevator's direction a few times (I think) -- on the todo list!

You can view the recent patch notes on that page I linked, and also here: http://www.planettobor.com/savage-devlog/2016/9/4/super-resized

Also, be prepared for save wipes (starting in that patch) regularly as the alpha is updated (should have mentioned that in the post - oops)!

And yes, audio/visual cues (things like gear grinding noises, falling debris, sparks) for the elevator being activated are also on the todo list and will be put in toward the end of development when I start doing audio/polish passes on everything.

Glad you found the keys!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
2016.09.11 - I Have Something to Say!

"... It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

Sorry -- I've been listening to too much (is that even possible?) of the Highlander soundtrack while working. On a completely unrelated note, how about a project update?!

Talk!

I've begun the process of rewriting old bits of dialogue, as well as creating brand new bits of NPC dialogue and story events. I've updated the old dialogue system to better perform under different circumstances, like whether or not the player should 'trigger' a dialogue event to auto start, or whether they should press the 'interact' button when colliding with a dialogue object to start a conversation with an NPC...

In this one below (don't worry -- the ugly green box is just there for debugging purposes), the player waits until colliding with the dialogue object before pushing 'up' on the gamepad or keyboard:

This system was already in place, but not wholly hooked up to NPCs. It was also super clunky and a bit all over the place in terms of multiple different dialogue objects that would handle different scenarios. It's all been condensed and trimmed down to one tidy little dialogue object.

Direction!

In addition to tidying up the dialogue event system, I've added practical events to the game that will give the player hints and objectives, as well as main and sub quests:

Music Break!

There's plenty of audio and music work left to be done, but every once in a while I'll run over to my music creation and editing software and crank something out to help emphasize the mood and tone of the content I'm working on. Here's a little bit of that (rough and work-in-progress):

Audio Clip: http://www.planettobor.com/savage-devlog/2016/9/11/i-have-something-to-say

Feedback

I want to thank everyone who's been playing the alpha demo for all of their feedback and bug reporting across Steam, Kickstarter, Castlevania Dungeon Forums, IndieDB, Gamejolt -- I'm hearing all of it, adding your reports and issues to my todo lists and replying where I can! Thank you so much - it's a huge help!

There isn't an update to the alpha demo this week since there's a bunch of dialogue and quest content yet to be added to make the beginning area stuff make more sense, but expect it soon!

Thanks again! 'Til next update!

-Matt

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned. I've just gotten around to trying out your demo. The foot step and jump sounds are too loud imo. When a repetitive sound like that is loud, it really gets irritating. At least that's the case for me.

Game is pretty hard on keyboard, I'll give controller a shot some time down the road.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
I've been meaning to come back and say that I tried playing this on my other computer and everything works just fine.  There are maybe a few things I could point out that are likely little bugs or issues (like items or even the character getting stuck in the wall in certain areas) but otherwise it works.

I'm stuck in the cave though...the one behind the starting area once you get to the map screen.  I got the throwing knives and figured out they can be used as a little platform thing, but I haven't found anywhere else to use them to get out.  :-/  Maybe...some help on that? :-)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »
Wow, first time I see this thread, and all this looks super awesome! Keep up the good work! :)

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
Wow, sorry for getting back to you guys after so long -- I'm not getting notifications for some reason.

Not sure if it's been mentioned. I've just gotten around to trying out your demo. The foot step and jump sounds are too loud imo. When a repetitive sound like that is loud, it really gets irritating. At least that's the case for me.

Game is pretty hard on keyboard, I'll give controller a shot some time down the road.

I agree, and that's on my todo list! Things like the footsteps, jump, landing etc. all need an additional audio pass, and I'll  definitely be doing that!

Yeah, I am generally horrible at platformers on keyboard+mouse. I will be including the option for players to map their own keybindings/gamepad buttons before release.

Thanks for trying it out!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
I've been meaning to come back and say that I tried playing this on my other computer and everything works just fine.  There are maybe a few things I could point out that are likely little bugs or issues (like items or even the character getting stuck in the wall in certain areas) but otherwise it works.

I'm stuck in the cave though...the one behind the starting area once you get to the map screen.  I got the throwing knives and figured out they can be used as a little platform thing, but I haven't found anywhere else to use them to get out.  :-/  Maybe...some help on that? :-)

Hey, thanks for trying it out!

Yeah, tutorial/info content still needs to be added, especially for things like the throwing dirks --

Find those 'scratched up' background wooden tiles -- they'll also have ropes tied around them. Throw a dagger at them, but HOLD down the button you used to throw the dagger with, and the dagger will stick into the background wood tile, creating a platform for you, just like it does when you throw a dagger at a solid wooden object.

Hope that helps!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
Hail, Barbarian Horde!

Sorry this update has been a long time coming -- October turned out to be unusually busy and I had a number of large game-related issues I wanted to tackle before delivering you all an update. But rest assured, challenges hath been slain and there's a ton of new work to talk about!

Here's what's been going on since the last update:

NEW/Retro-fitted Bad Guys

I've been diving into my already-finished bag of tricks to produce some newer baddies, especially for the starter areas that many people are having trouble with.

For example, the bats (which a LOT of people have been getting slaughtered by) have been nerfed and are more manageable now, as far as their speed and aggressiveness. I've done a palette swap of them to create a newer, deadlier bat monster. This little process has been done on a series of baddies to help balance out the overall experience a bit more, especially in an attempt to teach the player early on what is expected of them, mechanically.

Here are some other screencaps and examples of newer critters I've crafted:

Area and Level Tuning

Some of the areas go on for WAY too long (in my opinion) and feel like filler. I've been cutting down on area maps and tossing rooms that feel excessive.

I've also been going through the finished areas and FINALLY adding physically visible and interactive save/checkpoints:

... AND, adding shortcuts (probably letting my Dark Souls fetish show)!

There are certain areas, too, that I felt lacked a solid visual identity (mainly, background images and graphics)-- especially unique locations. I'm fixing that:

... As well as:

• enemy placements
  • item placements
  • persistent event triggers
  • general cleanup!

All of these aspects are finally making certain areas feel "complete" and polished.

Massive Mechanical Tuning

Across all of the finalized content I'm addressing and tuning several things:

• Platforms/breakable platforms timers 
  • XP drop values 
  • XP gain distribution across player, equipped items
  • HP/defense values 
  • Attack/damage values
  • force resistent values across all enemies

Those have been my main priorities. Now, here's a BIG one:

Anyone who has played the live development build would notice a lack of effective area surrounding your weapon strikes, especially when you are flush up against something you're trying to hit, or trying to hit one of those pesky, smaller and agile bats.

Here's an example of this problem:

Each weapon has it's own unique hitbox, usually using a type of 'precise' collision detection. Obviously, this can be a problem when you have a situation like the one pictured above; the player is standing RIGHT NEXT to a door, they strike it, trying to open it, but their weapon's hitbox winds up OUTSIDE the door's hitbox, therefore resulting in NO collision.

I've taken steps to fix this by reworking the combat system to accommodate an additional invisible, inverted hitbox that bridges the gap between the player's bounding box and their weapon (in other words, a hitbox that is an arm's length).

This took a lot of doing and re-engineering of the current system, but is WAY worth it. Combat feels more responsive since you have better coverage, and attempting to strike things like levers, switches and doors will now no longer (mostly) result in a complete whiff.

Unintentionally, this also introduces an interesting 'direct hit' kind of system; if you are not striking an enemy with the actual bounding box of your weapon, BUT your mirrored arm-length hitbox collides with an enemy, it won't do quite as much damage is slicing an enemy directly with your rad sword would. Accidental, but interesting and offers a bit more depth to the combat!

MORE Events

I've added a TON of new dialogue and NPC interaction including but not limited to:

• unique events based on dialogue interaction
  • side quests
  • hidden enemies
  • mini-boss and special enemy encounters
  • <spoilers>

In addition, I've gone back to previous dialogue and edited it for either length, or to bring it all up to speed with current character arcs and goings on.

Fixed Issues and Bugs

I've been pouring over all of your feedback (thank you!) and issue reporting, and I'm busy at work cracking all these little suckers, and addressing a few other issues.

I'm also working on RE-working the save system -- at present, it isn't perfectly future-proofed, and some technical issues need to be ironed out, but this probably won't be 'perfect' until closer to launch.

Anyway -- thanks for reading another update! There will be a big juicy patch coming to the live development build soon including all of these changes, content, and more!

Thanks again for all your support and patience, and have a great Thanksgiving!

-Matt

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2016, 10:35:43 PM »
2016.12.31 - They (un)Live! Halloween Update

Merry (post) Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year!

You've got one more present to open before the year's over:

2016 Pre-launch Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtcM_Svj6TU&t=3s

The credit for direction, cinematography and visual FX goes to the insanely talented Christine Carstairs!

Go check her site out and other works here:

http://www.escapingwestlawn.com/

https://twitter.com/DSLR_Girl

Sorry this wasn't shot to you all sooner -- I've been in and out of consciousness all week thanks to a cheerful little holiday flu ('tis the season!). As soon as I'm able, I'll fire off the next update to the live playable build!

Updates that you can expect:

• New NPC interactions and story events
  • LOTS of traversal bugs fixed for the main character (game feels MUCH better now)
  • UI fixes
  • Gamepad and keyboard fixes (especially as it relates to the UI)
  • LOTS of new stuff (including enemies)!

Expect a more in-depth change log once the build goes live!

Until then, have a safe and happy New Year! See you in 2017!

- Matt

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
Sweet! And Happy new year toborprime  :D
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
Sweet! And Happy new year toborprime  :D

Hey, thanks X! And to you as well!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
2017.5.3 - New Playable Build!

Yes, new build! But we'll get to that in a second -

- I've been down in a development hole working like a demon to get this game polished, feeling great, and worth your time to play. I'm finally coming up for air to show you all the shiny new progress that's been done, and I'm sorry it's taken me since January to do so - but here we go!

NPCs Finally Added, New Dialogue Font!

The mining prison is now teeming with characters you can interact with in the current build - their stories might continue on from here, or end tragically depending on how you handle these interactions. I also completely redesigned the dialogue font for better legibility while retaining the dark fantasy theme:

There is also a new KEYS section in the inventory to store mundane Iron Keys, Gold Keys, and unique quest keys and items:

Updated Controls, Tutorial Prompts and Sequence

The game FINALLY has a tutorial sequence with appropriate prompts (the prompts are purely optional and can be interacted whether you choose to or not) at the start of the game, leading up to the intro story bits:

There is now also a DEDICATED GRAB button for grabbing objects, pushing/pulling them, lifting and tossing them:

Tutorial prompts have been placed elsewhere in the game world where necessary, also:

GUI Madness, Mouse Support and Options

The user interface elements have all gotten an overhaul (visually and mechanically) and now have mostly functioning mouse support! In addition, you can now fully remap either a gamepad, or mouse and keyboard to play EXACTLY how you want to play!

Swapping between gamepad input and keyboard input will also be reflected now across ALL prompts, user interface elements, and HUD elements:

New Essence, Level Up, Restore Point

You can now gain Essence Points from battle and spend them at designated restore points (or, for the lore junkies, "Essence Vessels"; artifacts left behind by ancient beings as they carved their way through the old world):

Spending Essence Points on your three primary stats (FAVOR is a liquid stat, which can also raise and lower depending on other actions) will increase your level, but also increase sub stats like knockback resistance and knockback power, dodge speed, allow you to equip more powerful gear, and lots of other things that we'll go over closer to release!

Vendor System and Gear Comparisons

You can now sell and buy things! FINALLY!

As is included in the vendor system, you can also compare potential weapons, shields and armor stats against your currently equipped gear to see whether you will gain any increases (or decreases) in things like damage output, resistance, armor hit points, and whether you have enough MIGHT or RESOLVE to use a piece of equipment:

New Music

Here's an assortment of new (and redone) music tracks that have made it into the game! These are mostly done, but still need an eventual final pass for EQ-ing and mixing/mastering:

Go HERE and scroll to New Music to listen!   

New Site and Info

The game's main page has been updated with more information and story info!

... And MORE

There are many other improvements, additions and bug fixes in the latest build - to many to go into detail over, so here are the patch notes!

DreamHack Austin

I had the spur of the moment opportunity to bring the game to DreamHack in Austin over the weekend.

I was incredibly nervous and didn't quite know what to expect (and wasn't sure if we were going to make it), but the show went well! I got a LOT of good feedback, and PC Gamer came over and did a video interview and captured some game footage. Here are the videos if you fancy watching me be a sleep deprived idiot in front of a camera!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbq_L5z304

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEhsoiKwVI

(the Youtube comments sections are especially hilarious)

Here is the article featured on PC Gamer also.

If you already activated your Steam key, the new build should automatically update in your Steam client!

After this update, builds will also differ between what's available via Steam and the other live demo locations:

GameJolt

IndieDB

Anyway, thanks for checking out the update! That's all for now - more to come soon!

-Matt

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
2017.5.3 - New Playable Build!

Horizontal thrusts? Up thrusts? DOWN thrusts?! I've got you covered, Barbarian Horde!

The last few months I've been grinding away at the one last juicy feature I felt was necessary to make Savage really shine: Directional combat! I mean, I can't cite one of my big inspirations as Zelda 2 without allowing players to strike their enemy's head from above. Let's have a look.

Directional Combat

Across several new player states, new sprites (774 frames), new armor sprites (2,322), shield positions (you can also shield bash upward and downward!), and weapon positions, bringing the pain to the baddies is now possible from WHEREVER. This has also fixed certain issues I wasn't excited about. Situations like climbing a ladder and having a stubborn enemy directly above you, or some harder to hit, low lying enemies like the cave crawlers and rockbiters.

This also makes existing enemies (like skeleton warriors that spawn with specific gear sets, for example) that are able to mimic the down/upward attacks feel a LOT more fair, giving the player the same strategic choices -- making combat feel WAY more interesting.

Timing a perfect downward strike and HOLDING the attack button also gives you some good air on your bounce!

Let's Talk About the Weather

In those gifs above, I'm sure you've noticed some new sprites and visual effects, like new clouds, and an honest to goodness SUN in the sky. Good eye, I say! There is now a fully functioning dynamic weather system, along with new sun sprites and effects, moon sprites (with actual phases, i.e. new, waxing, waning, full), new cloud sprites that reflect the day/night/weather change, and star constellations that correspond to the different deities worshiped (or abhorred) in the world of Lor.

Here's a look at all of that in action in the 2D platforming sequences and the 3D overworld:

The weather system is also dependent on what in-game season it is (and what location you are currently in -- probably not going to snow/blizzard in the desert, ha!). Along with it, a slew of new backgrounds reflecting things like snowstorms (and winter) have been added:

New weather types include clear skies, cloudy, thunderstorms, light rain into rainstorm, snow, and blizzard.

The combination of location, day/night, season, weather, moon phase, and dominant constellation can, and sometimes WILL affect what sort of randomized encounter you are going to have on the world map.

There are also some secrety fun things constellations can do, depending on what God's fetish, fetish level, and FAVOR stat you currently have (more on that in a future update!).

Daggers in the Dark

The new Gosen Highlands location also brings with it some new areas, dungeons and baddies, like the Noctwurm Assassin, courtesy of the Noctwurm Cult (all with their own backstory and lore)!

Patch Notes and Release Breakdown

NEW FEATURES
  • Able to attack upward and downward from all appropriate player states (i.e. DOWNTHRUSTING!)
  • New animation sets (across 774 player frames, 2,322 armor frames!!), weapon and shield placements, and armor sprites to reflect the new directional attack feature
  • Dynamic weather added:
  • clear skies
  • cloudy/foggy
  • thunderstorms
  • light rain
  • rainstorms
  • snow
  • blizzard
  • (sandstorms are planned for appropriate areas)
  • The dynamic weather is dependent on the current area (biome) you are in, and what game season (fall, winter, spring/summer)
  • New sun sprites and effects to reflect runrise, noon, sunset, and if there is currently "bad" weather
  • New cloud sprites that actively reflect the time of day and current weather
  • New moon sprites and moon phases
  • New stars and constellations that change over time
  • New seasonal backgrounds for different areas to reflect the change in season
  • The day/night system, along with factors like season, weather, moon phase, and what constellation is currently dominant in the sky will affect the randomized encounters on the overworld map. Constellations and their corresponding gods will also trigger certain events and secrets on the overworld map (MUCH of this is still being worked on!)

COMING SOON
  • New Gosen Highlands overworld props and locations including the "Hell's Teeth" dungeon
  • Gosen Highland specific enemies, including members of the Noctwurm Cult (assassins and ambush-y warriors!)
  • Vanaheim overworld props and locations
  • Vanaheim specific enemies, including icy themed monsters, frost giants, and the Vaniir - hardy frozen wasteland warriors
  • Bug fixes... ALWAYS bug fixes
A reminder - Kickstarter backers can access all the newness via Steam, provided they redeemed their Steam Keys.

Groupees Greenlight Bundle folks can access the same from their product pages (their Steam Keys will unlock once the game is released).

Why Is This Taking So Long

I have zero excuses why this is taking me as long as it's taking, but the reasons are pretty important. Wanting to deliver a game to you all that is worth your time to play is chief among them. It turns out trying to make the best damn game I possibly can takes time, and more time than I initially accounted for. That's 100% on me, and I'm sorry for making you all wait so long.

I will also not release a crippled, ugly thing that I am not proud of, ha! So, the battle continues, but the end is certainly in sight. With the directional combat completed, in the game, and fully functional (and actually feeling pretty great), aspects of the game like personality, mood and atmosphere are coming together very quickly. Especially with the new atmosphere and weather effects in place, the game is looking and feeling like the game I wanted to bring to life in the first place - and I have all of you to thank for that.

The current step is content, content, content (finishing dungeons, NPCs, items, weapons, armor and shields, and a handful of enemies that are not completed to flesh out certain areas).

So again, thank you for your patience, your involvement, and your support - it is keeping the fire going bright, strong and SAVAGE... (*ahem*)!

Your loinclothed (is that even a word?) friend,

-Matt

P.S. Forgot to mention! If you're curious about checking in on the game's progress more frequently, I have been very active with live development streams here: https://www.twitch.tv/toborprime

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:08 PM »
Why Is This Taking So Long

I have zero excuses why this is taking me as long as it's taking, but the reasons are pretty important. Wanting to deliver a game to you all that is worth your time to play is chief among them. It turns out trying to make the best damn game I possibly can takes time, and more time than I initially accounted for. That's 100% on me, and I'm sorry for making you all wait so long.

I will also not release a crippled, ugly thing that I am not proud of, ha! So, the battle continues, but the end is certainly in sight. With the directional combat completed, in the game, and fully functional (and actually feeling pretty great), aspects of the game like personality, mood and atmosphere are coming together very quickly. Especially with the new atmosphere and weather effects in place, the game is looking and feeling like the game I wanted to bring to life in the first place - and I have all of you to thank for that.

The current step is content, content, content (finishing dungeons, NPCs, items, weapons, armor and shields, and a handful of enemies that are not completed to flesh out certain areas).

So again, thank you for your patience, your involvement, and your support - it is keeping the fire going bright, strong and SAVAGE... (*ahem*)!

Your loinclothed (is that even a word?) friend,

-Matt

Absolutely. Too many companies taking too many shortcuts, and cutting corners till there are only circles left, has become somewhat of an epidemic amongst the world of gaming. It is better to make your work worth while instead of rushing your work and selling a shoddy product in the end. Take whatever time you need to get the best outcome for something that you can be proud of  :)

Tags: