Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Halloween! 2013  (Read 27657 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
+1
Woo! Well while this month isn't going right at all on my end I did accomplish one of my season goals and beat Castlevania 3 legit for the first time. Been trying against Dracula for I don't know how long. In a way I think it might almost be easier going through the last 2 rooms before Dracula because then you get the axe, which makes taking out his last 2 forms much easier.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
Im watching Cinemassacre's Monster Madness 2013 :)

Also I plan to play this game again:

Jersey Devil (PSX) Speedrun, Pt. 1
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 01:53:36 AM »
I decked my place out a bit with lights and other Halloweeny stuff. Here's a small glimpse of it.

Perfect for horror movies.

Speaking of which, here's my list of horror movies seen so far for this year's October Horrorthon (including all of the ones I started early as part of the extended Fall Horrorthon, which are all the flicks before the gap), followed by ranking and whether it's a rewatch (RW).

The Blair Witch Project - 4/5 RW
Pumpkinhead - 4/5 RW
Sledgehammer - 1/5 (but strangely enticing)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 4/5
The Deader the Better - 3.5/5
House of 1000 Corpses - 3.5/5 RW
Sledgehammer - 3/5 RW (better with company)
Street Trash - 4/5 RW
The Thing (2011) - 3/5
Halloween (1978) - 5/5 RW
Halloween II (2009) - 1/5 (manages to be even worse than the first in the reboot series)

Dracula (1931) - 3.5/5 RW (both with and without Philip Glass score)
Psycho (1960) - 4.5/5 RW
Frankenstein (1931) - 4/5 RW

Yeah, so for whatever reason, my actual October Horrorthon has been pretty sparse. Doesn't help that I've sat down to watch the zany surrealistic comedy Forbidden Zone three times this past week in addition to seeing Wayne's World 2 for the first time. I guess next year I'll have to reserve my Horrorthon specifically for October, because maybe I've already gotten a little bit tired out.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Damn. I can't believe I haven't put up my bat lights yet. Blasphemy!
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
I always watch several horror movies in a row on Halloween. This year, I'm thinking about seeing the Conjuring because I heard many good things about it. Also, I'm going to buy a pumpkin and carve a face in it. Pretty standard, but Halloween is almost non-existent where I live, so I'm going to be a pioneer in my neighborhood.   

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Ooooh yeah the Conjuring was awesome. I heard Insidious 2 was kind of a let down though...

We watched a movie called VHS the other night and it kinda freaked me out a little. It actually gave me a nightmare!

I can't wait to take my daughter out trick or treating this year. She's being a Batarina! She's in ballet so she was pretty excited when she found a scary ballerina costume!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »
So I was walking through the store today and saw that Frute Brute (Cheery) and Yummy Mummy (Orange Cream) monster cereals have been reissued for this Halloween, YES! http://www.blog.generalmills.com/2013/08/frute-brute-yummy-mummy/ They've both been discontinued for decades and I've wanted to try them for a long time. Even if I know they'll taste basically like slightly different Franken Berry or Count Chocula. (But hopefully not Boo-Berry because I hate that.) Guess I'll find out tomorrow!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:38:01 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
Well, I bought that Jiang Shi outfit that I never got around to doing last year.

Should be here within 6 - 10 days.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
Watched a few more movies in the Horrorthon.

Black Sabbath
Three-story movie with gothic horror and other delights. Went for the Italian version because that one's the best: no censorship, better music and SFX, and that final segment still manages to be creepy as fudge. I only wish there existed English audio for the Italian-specific segments with Boris Karloff (since the US cut had different segments), and a way to mix and match which you'd like: in my case it would be the Italian cut with the English language Karloff bookends from the US cut. Great movie, awesome Blu-ray from Arrow Video (UK). 5/5 RW

Re-Animator
This one's normally a perfect 5/5 movie for me or close to, but this time around I watched the Integral Version, which is a mash-up of the Unrated and R-rated versions of the film. Unrated version is clearly superior, and I've never seen the R-rated cut which took out much of the blood and boobs and added in some unnecessary story stuff—only seen the scenes separately as deleted scenes—but seeing it all put together into one movie was pretty interesting and offered a different experience from what I'm used to, while still essentially keeping the good bits intact (save for the alternate take of the sex scene—no Barbara Crampton boobs being thrown about by gravity, less titillating pulling-up-of-the-panties shot, etc.). The scenes originally exclusive to the R-rated version feel kind of awkward and tacked on, but when so much footage from the original was taken out, you gotta admire the filmmakers for making some kind of compromise. Awesome Blu-ray from Germany (new transfer from an interpositive; the US Blu-ray is from an ass-old master), glad I snagged up the limited first edition with the Integral Version for curiosity's sake and the ultra-cool mediabook packaging. 4/5

The Manson Family
Great movie by Jim VanBebber that takes a very uncompromising approach to the Spahn Ranch goings-on and the grisly murders that followed. It's essentially a '70s-style exploitation film (started filming in the late '80s and took over a decade to finish) that manages to stay respectful to the real-life events and doesn't serve as strictly entertainment but a gut-wrenching experience. Four out of five stars (rewatch). Can't wait to see another movie from VanBebber; Deadbeat at Dawn is one of my favorite movies, and his recent Gator Green short is pretty cool. Shame we never got muthafudgin' CHUNKBLOWER, though. That would have been one boss-ass movie based on the promotional trailer, especially with that awesome late '80s industrial music by Dwayne Goettel and cEvin Key (since I'm a huge Skinny Puppy fan).

Chunk Blower Jim Van Bebber, 1990)

Zombie
Love this Italian splatter zombie classic. Fulci is great, though in ways I think I like his entire ensuing "Gates of Hell" trilogy more. So much surrealism in those flicks, really adds to the unsettling camera shots and gore. 4/5 RW
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
Welp. The Shredder idea went out the window again this year too.
Instead I'm getting together with a big group on Halloween and going to go partying as a tribe of Native Americans. We all have some Indian heritage so we're all studying the tribes whose blood we share and making some bad-ass costumes from there.
My bud is part Cherokee and Black Foot, so I'm making him a buffalo head. I'm part Taino which was a group from the Antilles (Cuba/Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic) so I'm mostly going to be wearing cotton, feathers, and sea shells.
This is going to be fun.
Just for shits and giggles I'm going to make a gunstock club to go with it. Yeah it's not really from the Taino, but it's too damn cool to pass up. And besides, there was trade among the various tribes after all.
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2013, 02:39:58 AM »

Re-Animator
This one's normally a perfect 5/5 movie for me or close to, but this time around I watched the Integral Version, which is a mash-up of the Unrated and R-rated versions of the film. Unrated version is clearly superior, and I've never seen the R-rated cut which took out much of the blood and boobs and added in some unnecessary story stuff—only seen the scenes separately as deleted scenes—but seeing it all put together into one movie was pretty interesting and offered a different experience from what I'm used to, while still essentially keeping the good bits intact (save for the alternate take of the sex scene—no Barbara Crampton boobs being thrown about by gravity, less titillating pulling-up-of-the-panties shot, etc.). The scenes originally exclusive to the R-rated version feel kind of awkward and tacked on, but when so much footage from the original was taken out, you gotta admire the filmmakers for making some kind of compromise. Awesome Blu-ray from Germany (new transfer from an interpositive; the US Blu-ray is from an ass-old master), glad I snagged up the limited first edition with the Integral Version for curiosity's sake and the ultra-cool mediabook packaging. 4/5

Aw, hell. I have this on my netflix queue, and I'm wondering if it's the cut version.

Just watched Hellraiser this past week, because I saw the first half or so some years back, but never finished it. Really liked the last 30 minutes or so of the movie...I'll probably watch the sequel next. I think most of the franchise is on netflix, but I've heard mixed things about the movies beyond the second one, so I'll probably pass on those. Especially since it sounds like the whole purpose/motives of the cenobites changes? I found the whole concept of them really cool in the first movie.

Also been playing the new Splatterhouse this week, and it's pretty great. The only thing (and this probably sounds crazy) is that the gore in the new one isn't as satisfying to me as the old games because there's always so much going on at once, so a lot of it gets kind of lost in the shuffle. Still can't complain too much...a few of the splatter kills are really satisfying (even after seeing them dozens of times), and I'm liking the story so far. I also re-soldered the power connections on both my genesis and famicom twin and got them working again (YES!!), so I played around with Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti a little bit. I'll have to play it all the way through sometime this week. Fond memories of playing it on an emulator.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
Don't forget to take pictures of your costumes folks!

Not going to wear a costume unfortunately, but I did re-watch two Edgar Allen Poe inspired films to get more into the season.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue (1986)
- George C. Scott and a pre-fame Val Kilmer team up in this TV version of Poe's famous whodunit. Though the movie makes it a little too obvious who the killer is. Very hokey but the costumes and sets are nice.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964) - Far and away one of Roger Corman's best, Vincent Price turns in a delightfully wicked performance as a Satan worshiping Prince. Poe's short story "Hop-Frog" is also worked in as a small subplot. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:14:20 PM by Ratty »

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
Aww yeah, the CD/DVD shop had discount on The Exorcist ;D Only 5€. I guess I'll get something to watch on Halloween after all. I just hope it's not too old to be creepy. The Shining managed to be creepy at some points, even tho I would have preferred a bit heavier atmosphere. I guess it's just that it's 2013 and daddy killing his family just isn't extreme enough anymore. I mean you can read that stuff from your newspaper even in Finland quite often so...  :rollseyes:

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
+1

Somebody (I forget) was disappointed last year when I didn't go through with this, so here we are.

I'll probably make the attempt for a better picture closer to holiday.
(click to show/hide)

Tags:

anything