Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?  (Read 19047 times)

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
Just play old games, and you'll see that the Belmonts are using many whips during their journeys to Dracula : Chain Whip, Leather Whip, MorningStar, Flame Whip, etc etc....

I actually laughed at this.  Because there were THREE whips in Lament of Innocence.  LoI never implied that the Belmonts only use one whip. Vampire Killer is the family heirloom/chosen/signature/best whip and LoI explained why that is.  What this has to do with the bloodline/skill at using a whip each Belmont has is beyond me.

I get the distinct feeling that you're complaining for the sake of complaining.  All you have to say is that you didn't like it.  At the very least, it would make more sense.

All the Igarashi's LOI' Vampire Killer story is a stupid plot for kids. Definitely.

There, see? That's all you had to say.  "It's stupid and I don't like it."

In my opinion, it was no less 'kid-ish' than any of the other plots in the Castlevania series.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Say what you want about LoI's plot, but it was the first one to give an actual personal reason for the Belmonts to do what they do.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2010, 10:32:15 AM »
LoI had a great plot that didn't stray far from the classic story style. It even had a captive love interest. I just didn't agree with the whip being an alchemical weapon, as opposed to holy.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:53 AM »
LoI had a great plot that didn't stray far from the classic story style. It even had a captive love interest. I just didn't agree with the whip being an alchemical weapon, as opposed to holy.

Rinaldo said, "The field (alchemy) experiments with the principles of God's creation of the world." So I guess one could interpret that as an application of holy power.  But that's kind of a stretch.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
Alchemy in itself is not really all that mysterious. In reality, it is the patriarch of both Science and Chemistry. so in a sense, all of us are learning a form of alchemy when in school.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
Alchemy in itself is not really all that mysterious. In reality, it is the patriarch of both Science and Chemistry. so in a sense, all of us are learning a form of alchemy when in school.

-X

Not really.

"Alchemy is both a philosophy and an ancient practice focused on the attempt to change base metals into gold, investigating the preparation of the "elixir of longevity", and achieving ultimate wisdom, involving the improvement of the alchemist as well as the making of several substances described as possessing unusual properties."

"Chemistry is the science of matter and the changes it undergoes."

Alchemy is bogus for the most part and was based heavily on wishful thinking and superstitions, but the research made in pursuit of the goals of alchemy did give birth to the scientific field of chemistry.  That doesn't make chemistry a form of alchemy.

Though here's an interesting tidbit; we've actually learned how to synthesize gold from other materials, actually fulfilling one of the original goals of alchemy.  Modern science acheived what real-world alchemy never could have.
If you stripped the concept of alchemy down to the bare minimum of "a method of changing one pure substance into another" then alchemy could be argued for as existing.

Sorry about the science lesson. XD

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
Sorry about the science lesson. XD

No problem bro  ;)

But I have looked it up from verious sources (not the internet) and I can safely say that my asumption is true to an extent. Nostradamus himself practist alchemy, but it's not just that whole 'turn lead into gold' thing as many of us are brought up to think whenever we hear the word. Alchemy was the first true science and chemistry of the ancient civilized world before it was branded herecy by the church. You are correct in what you've told me about alchemy, but I've also brought in some facts about it too. So in a sense, we've filled in all the mysteries about what alchemy real is. How any of this alchemy pertains to the creation of the Vampirekiller is all in IGA's head. IMO it probably should've stayed there.  :P

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 11:52:20 PM »

The part about having to use the whip on her was interesting, but otherwise I found the love interest very simplistic and boring (like most other female vg characters). Sara had zero personality, which kind of killed any potential depth.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:49:37 PM by bucky »

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2010, 03:48:58 PM »
The part about having to use the whip on her was interesting, but otherwise I found the love interest very simplistic and boring (like most other female vg characters). Sara had zero personality, which kind of killed any potential depth.

I agree, but then again, that's hardly uncommon in the Castlevania series...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »
It also didn't help you didn't meet her until halfway in the game. The impact of Mathias being Dracula also suffered from this. Not that I think Castlevania needs deep and fleshed out relations between characters but they could have tried to make us care a little bit.  :(               

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »
It also didn't help you didn't meet her until halfway in the game. The impact of Mathias being Dracula also suffered from this. Not that I think Castlevania needs deep and fleshed out relations between characters but they could have tried to make us care a little bit.  :(               

And this could have easily been accomplished by having, say, Leon and Rinaldo talk about them.  I don't really understand why they didn't do that...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:23 AM »
Actually I think they should have cut down the Rinaldo conversations a bit, I think flashbacks would have been better since that would have made it more exciting.     

Offline Khaz

• Hoses Hoses Hoses Hoses Hoses Hoses Hoses!
    • Awards
Re: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
One thing I wonder about is that whole thing with "The whips Memory" in PoR, so when they pass it down, they have to technically fight their fathers/grandfathers everytime? I mean I understand Jonathan wasn't belmont but that still makes me wonder about the whips memory. Which one last thing I wonder about is, is the whip alive? I mean if it has Sara's soul then I guess its her, but if thats true, what a picky b***h for not allowing John to use it!
I told you bro!
I told you about he moon,
it keeps happening!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
I think only the Morris' had to deal with the whip's memory, it wouldn't make sense for each Belmont to fight their father/grandfather, the ones who trained them.

Then again the whole idea of the whip's memory was kinda silly to begin with.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
I wouldn't let Jonafag use me if I was a weapon either. I'd be sure he would get his ass kicked like the little pussy he is. Makes complete sense to me. How can you trust a clown like him.

Tags:

anything