Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hobbiezzz  (Read 7536 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
Do you all have any hobbies?
I collect and build scale models, which take up a reasonable amount of time. Unless you're fantastically talented, it can take a bit of a learning curve, but there's a ton of articles dispensing advice and tips.

It's actually kind of a huge hobby with its own sub-groups and communities. For example, I stick with WWII armored fighting vehicles, which is pretty common, and Soviet/Russian jet fighters, which is a little more niche. But I have no idea what those who build model ships or cars do, and those are kind of huge in terms of communities.

Sorry about the photo quality, I used my droid's camera to take these.

Figures, like these, can be prohibitive to build. A lot of people who do wonders with scale models absolutely loathe figures, because they can be very tricky to do. Soft, rubber 1/72 figures like these are even harder, because the material they're made out of can't hold paint all that well and tend to flake. So you have to prime and re-coat them with a lacquer cote or use future wax.

(I have even more in the to-do pile. You find yourself investing a little too much money in stashes of models)
(lol)

Anyways, like this forum, you have sub-communities. You know, here we have those who frankly love the PS1 to DS era and loathe Lords, and vice versa. There are those who care for neither but love the older games, or those dedicated to just the handhelds, or to Lament, CV64 etc.

In the scale model AFV/ jet fighter community, you have casual people like me who like building detailed models, but aren't sticklers for extreme detail or perfect historical accuracy. There are also those who won't even look at a model unless it's an absolute perfect replica of the vehicle it represents, and judge the final model's quality by how much aftermarket resin and photo-etch accurizing sets that's went into it. We call these people 'assholes', but they're out there.

In the nerd level thread I also posted some of my figure collections. I collect 1:6 (GI JOE-scale) troops from 21st-Century Toys and Dragon Models Limited. I was actually shocked to find out some of the stuff I've had for years is actually worth quite a bit of coin on Ebay whereas they weren't all that terribly expensive to buy back in '02 and '03, but I have no intention of parting with them.

Anyways, what are your all's hobbies? Are you part of any hobby community?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
A hobby that I haven't done in a while is also model-building. The last one i did was the R.M.S. Titanic and before that the U.S.S. Enterprise-C...or it could've been the other way around. I can't remember.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
I used to build wh40k models...was never very good, though. ;-;

Nowadays my hobbies, aside from prunyuu~ing, consist of playing vidyagaems and helping fansub anime. xD

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
I sew costumes and stuff for halloween or make coats (I make a coat or 2 a year for cold weather) I also try to do game design and programmin when I feel like it. Bein a programmer all day at works makes it hard to get excited to look at code when I get home

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »
My hobbies are, mountain climbing:

and gym:
Ruler of Chaos

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:41:46 AM »
Hmm...besides the obligatory games/movies/CV collecting/comics/etc...

I like to lift weights. And I like to procrastinate lifting weights. More strength training than bodybuilding or anything, though.

I also love to watch mixed martial arts. UFC, old Pride fights, Bellator, you name it.

I also love metal. It's about all I listen to, and just about every metal sub-genre you can think of.

...I'm not a meathead, I swear!!

...and I'm not completely sure if anything I listed counts as a true hobby, or just an interest in something.  :-\
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
Man Nemesis, u beefy *_*

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
I like to eat pizza and sleep all day.
OK, I don't like to eat pizza, but it's just something I do.
And I don't really want to sleep all day; again, it's just something I do.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »
I like to eat pizza and sleep all day.
OK, I don't like to eat pizza, but it's just something I do.
And I don't really want to sleep all day; again, it's just something I do.

I think we have a winner here. Maybe you should change your name to michelangelo.... :rollseyes:
Ruler of Chaos

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »

My arsenal

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Nice collection beingthehero! But I don't see the CF-105 AVRO Arrow  :'(
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
W-well, I do have a CF-18 in my stash of models. On the other hand, the kit is kind of complex to build so I've been putting it off. I have like a dozen of these in various unfinished states.  :-X

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
W-well, I do have a CF-18 in my stash of models.

Well the CF-18 is nothing more then a repainted and renamed American F-18 which owes it's designs to the AVRO Arrow since both planes were designed by the same group of people (the US bought out all the A.V. RO scientists to build the next generation of American aircraft. A sad time in history). And interestingly enough the Arrow was 20 years ahead of it's time. So until around 1978 or '79 no military aircraft anywhere in the world could match the arrow's capabilities. It was and is still an amazing aircraft.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
whoaaarrgggh modellin' time

Azerbaijan MiG-25P

up next: Venezuelan Su-30

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
Not sure if you can define anything I do as hobbies, but I do obsess over movies and lately anime, and I used to obsess over music, and sometimes I get into obsessive gaming modes.

I kinda...don't do much else. Besides swimming and biking in the summer, but those are pastimes.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: