Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2378614 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
What we need is a gamestop employee to give us the Deets on what this game releases on!!

As a former employee, I can guarantee that Gamestop is just as clueless as we are at this point...

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
http://computer.games-4pro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Trine-2-castle.jpg

well trine 2 always make me want a CVIII remake "

u plays as 3 character , theif , knight and magican and you can see it has a castles , dungeons and crypts has anyone tried this game ? and sometimes the forest levels makes me feel like i'm playing a 2D los so if CV:HOF used the same way of Trine 2 it will be so epic !!

http://www.q8castle.com/vb/images/images_thumbs/549186bac1b804af6a462014d7d934e5.jpg
Yup, it's a good series, but I don't think it resembles castlevania a lot... outside being a sidescroller, like the older titles.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
The castle's architecture in the artwork kind of reminds me of the castle artwork for Chronicles, which is pretty ballin'.
The achitecture looks massive. It's kinda how I imagined Dracula's castle to look like. I always(especially SotN), imagined Dracula's Castle to be somewhat like Carmilla's castle in VHD: Bloodlust, basically a massive castle that was the size of a city. That's awesome!

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards

Oh, I think you  misunderstood. I'm not saying LoS had bad graphics or technical art skill. The graphics/art skill were maybe LoS' biggest sale point, and really shined at points. I'm just saying two things. 1.) While pretty to look at, the gameplay, level design, and camera were too much "on-rails," and overly focused on divergent elements of combo-spamming and forced puzzle and platforming events, versus a more natural flow of 3D action-platforming. This spoiled a lot of what could have otherwise been cool stages. I haven't seen anything yet to prove that's been fixed, which is my greatest concern. 2.) While pretty to look at, LoS did not consistently capture the atmosphere of the Castlevania universe, and these new images, while capturing a certain segment of the universe, do not immediately convince me of the whole art direction. (As an aside, I think the gloss effect is overused a bit in the CG versus the concept art).

I had some amusement from the game, but I share the view of some other people here that it was more like Castlevania: The Game of the Movie. I'm looking for some radical upgrades in LoS2, as I don't think LoS' template got it right. I still say the N64 entries were closer, particularly in terms of the "bare bones" of stage design.

I'm still concerned that Mercury Steam will misinterpret the complaints of the first game as meaning "a full game in the castle with a Castleroid map and more shout outs like Medusa heads" will solve all the shortcomings of LoS1. There was some fundamental stuff that needed to go back to the drawing board if it wants to rise high above the competition. Does anyone know if LoS made any bigger of a splash than, say, Dante's Inferno? To me, Castlevania has all the elements necessary to elevate itself above popular 3D titles like God of War. But it has to be presented confidently as "it's own franchise." If it insists on riding trends, even if the art direction gets better, it will always be considered a second-class franchise in the modern game scene.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I'm one of the few people that think it did capture the castlevania universe. There was outdoorsy green locations in the older games too. I think it's just weird for people to see stuff like that in a 3d universe.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Interesting. I hope they reveal something significant, like the name of the protagonist and maybe some bits of information about the game in general.

Me too. Hopefully they reveal more info than, say, a 30-second teaser trailer or something.

Konami may have a pre-E3 conference I'm interested in seeing this year after all. Maybe they'll shed some more light on that Contra game, too (if it's not canned).

But man, although LoS2 was a given, it's good to see something official right now.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I'm one of the few people that think it did capture the castlevania universe. There was outdoorsy green locations in the older games too. I think it's just weird for people to see stuff like that in a 3d universe.
Except the outdoors were a lot more spookier than LoS portraited.

I think that most sceneries would be better being played at the night. Uses that big moon + reflections from objects, water... the potential is there. It would be amazing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:15:58 PM by Maedhros »

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I wouldn't say that at all.

Rondo of blood had some pretty locations in the daytime that weren't moody. imo...

I think it really depends on which game we are talking about, some areas were creepy, some areas were zany ( more recent entries), some were beautiful...etc.

I will admit that Super Castlevania 4 relied mainly on mood though, but i don't think they only took inspiration on that game.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
 All this news is incredible, but I do want say this; I want the sells to be equivalent to the heavy hitters like God of war, bayonetta, and all devil may cry.

Do any of you think that Castlevania has what it takes to reach those sale numbers?

I say this because with all this information it seems that konami is really taking an intrest and investment into cv right now. I just want this to happen way more often and most of all for this venture to succeed. I think I said something like this before on other topics, but the sales really need to increase or at least complement the effort given into these games.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

Rondo of blood had some pretty locations in the daytime that weren't moody. imo...

I think it really depends on which game we are talking about, some areas were creepy, some areas were zany ( more recent entries), some were beautiful...etc.

I will admit that Super Castlevania 4 relied mainly on mood though, but i don't think they only took inspiration on that game.
Cox said the game was inspired in CV 4.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Though I'm not the biggest LoS fan, I'm willing to give this a shot. I want to see this series be a huge success and LoS was a step in that direction. Plus, I doubt MS is stupid and will just ignore criticism from those who were disappointed. That poll that appeared a few months ago tells me they want to at least make an attempt at appealing to both sides of the fence.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
All this news is incredible, but I do want say this; I want the sells to be equivalent to the heavy hitters like God of war, bayonetta, and all devil may cry.

Do any of you think that Castlevania has what it takes to reach those sale numbers?

I say this because with all this information it seems that konami is really taking an intrest and investment into cv right now. I just want this to happen way more often and most of all for this venture to succeed. I think I said something like this before on other topics, but the sales really need to increase or at least complement the effort given into these games.

That would be nice. 1,000,000 was a nice benchmark, though

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
for some reason I think it's Curse of Darkness 2
The Dragon Returns ????????
I don't recall Gabriel being a dragon or had something that look like a dragon
But Hector from COD has a crest on his back with Two dragons white and black
since there are only two Devil Forgemasters I suppose Hector is the white Dragon and Isaac is the Black Dragon
So Hector is Dragon "The Dragon Returns"
So this is Hector return in a new game
This is the Crest http://spa.fotolog.com/photo/42/19/40/darkares_18/1242691435847_f.jpg
What do you think Curse Of Darkness or Lords Of Shadow

This is what I think  8)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
for some reason I think it's Curse of Darkness 2
The Dragon Returns ????????
I don't recall Gabriel being a dragon or had something that look like a dragon
But Hector from COD has a crest on his back with Two dragons white and black
since there are only two Devil Forgemasters I suppose Hector is the white Dragon and Isaac is the Black Dragon
So Hector is Dragon "The Dragon Returns"
So this is Hector return in a new game
This is the Crest http://spa.fotolog.com/photo/42/19/40/darkares_18/1242691435847_f.jpg
What do you think Curse Of Darkness or Lords Of Shadow

This is what I think  8)

I'm sorry but this is not gonna happen, ever.

anything