Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Howard Lincoln  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
Was reading an article about him:

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/03/14/howard-lincoln-kicking-ass-before-reggie-came-along/

I never knew things were so bad in the 90s between Nintendo and Sega to the point of Nintendo trying to go after Sega in the senate.  Pretty amazing history. That guy seemed tough.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Wow! He discovered Rare! He really knows his shit.

This part pierced my heart with agony:
So what happens after they retire? Everything that Arakawa and Lincoln accomplished between the years of 1994 through 2000 went down the toilet after new management takes control of  NCL and NOA.

• Rareware gets sold in Microsoft in 2003
  • Left Field ditches their second party status by the end of 2002.  Buys back Nintendo’s minority stake in the company and goes independent.
  • Silicon Knights ditches Nintendo in 2004
  • Factor 5 releases “Star Wars: Rebel Strike” in 2003.  Last game they make exclusively for Nintendo.  Never works with Nintendo again.
  • Game Informer claims Rockstar Games was working on GTA3 port for GameCube to be released in fall 2002.  The GameCube version gets cancelled. (link)
  • As each year passed, NST’s role in the company became smaller and smaller.  They eventually became reduced to making random DSiware/eShop casual games instead of making full fledged games.

The transition of new Nintendo management replacing old management ended up killing most of their studio relationships.  Some of those relationships, in the case of Rareware, had been going for multiple generations.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:34:18 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
Howard is featured in this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd56K7rp7A

He starts talking at 5:45

He speaks the truth, Nintendo all throughout the years has never done anything to keep anyone out of the video game market even when the NES came out you still had Atari 7800 and Sega Master System. Its not Nintendo's fault that there was more demand for Nintendo consoles. Monopolies are more like Microsoft who had a strongarm hold on the Operating System market for PCs until Linux came along and even then they tried to sue all the Linux companies out of existence for all sorts of ridiculous reasons. I honestly believe even if people hated what he said it was just the blunt truth. Nintendo had done nothing wrong except try to make money which is what the goal should be for any capitalist business. Also keep in mind Nintendo back then would offer their consoles as bundle packs unlike now a days where if you were to get a core system like PS4 or XBox One you're lucky if you get a controller with the console.

What I liked about Howard Lincoln is that he always expressed his honest opinions in such a way that didn't make him look like a complete idiot even if you didn't agree with him. He represented Nintendo very well as you always knew where the company stood. There was no hype, no flare, no putting on airs, just what you see is what you get.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:35:31 PM by Johnny »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
Thanks, I think this video will be entertaining since I've never seen this guy in a video nor heard his voice.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: