Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1056637 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1890 on: November 04, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
Lets say if I was paying for this, how much would it cost?

Depends on many factors, such as if the artist charges for hours or for workload, if there is a deadline or not, style of the sprite itself, frames of varying sizes, how many redos you request, etc etc.

What I can say with a good degree of certainty is that you won't get a sprite this complex for less than $400, and I'm lowballing the shit out of it, considering you hire an artist without much history and experience but some skill. A serious, senior artist can charge $100 hourly.

And, always keep in mind we're talking quality work. There is a reason why AAA developers have mostly dropped pixel art -- it's hard to make good pixel art, it takes time, and it's not cheap.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1891 on: November 04, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
considering you hire an artist without much history and experience but some skill.

this statement is fucking bullshit i will not have you undermining and undervaluing yourself and your ability like this do you fucking hear me

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TheMeadTree

• Hunter in Training
  • Glie
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1892 on: November 04, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »
Esco paid $2,000 for an update to an already existing sprite. That's a whole month's salary... Now imagine the price point for completely custom work. It's ridiculous!

Yah and sorry Drac9 I guess it's too late for the blade crash offer. I had to hurry it up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:56:57 PM by TheMeadTree »

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1893 on: November 04, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
Edited.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:38:21 AM by Undead Waiter »
Gotta get away

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1894 on: November 04, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
this statement is fucking bullshit i will not have you undermining and undervaluing yourself and your ability like this do you fucking hear me

Well, I wasn't talking about me, but in general. If he's looking for an artist with skill but no portifolio, he should think $400 just to be on the safe side and just for a start.

I don't feel very confortable talking about my estimates here. Though I don't think of me as THE hot shit myself, my estimates do go beyond $400 for such a sprite by quite a bit.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1895 on: November 04, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »
Well, I wasn't talking about me, but in general.

was gonna say

Yah and sorry Drac9 I guess it's too late for the blade crash offer. I had to hurry it up cuz someone was getting real impatient.   >:( >:( >:(

no worries

if he decides he's still not satisfied or whatever the offer's still on the table

Offline AdrianTepes

• Floating Vampire Jesus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1896 on: November 05, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
+1
@Zydalc
TheMeadTree, nailed the point in ths kind of situations.
The best advice to make easier getting an artist (or anyone actually) to work on something for free (specially on something that involves so much work and time investment) is to make them want to.
How to do that? Showing them something amazing that will get them interested on being part of it. Show them that their work and time won't be wasted, that there is passion involved on the project, that is something serious, and that it will remain active until its completion. Most artists will fear that a fangame gets shut down or abandoned after someone in the team lost interest or gets interested on something else, making all their work go to waste.
So if you are a programmer have a small but nice demo to show of the features you are going to have in the game, if you are a composer have a sample of your music that people can hear, if you are an artist have a portfolio to show how good is your art, and so on.
"I realize that none of us has any real control over our fate. We are like leaves on the wind to be blown wherever we may. "

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1897 on: November 05, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
i'm back and i'm open for requests because i don't know what else to do
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #1898 on: November 06, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
i'm back and i'm open for requests because i don't know what else to do

Maybe you could just do the idling sprites of my own request I made back despite everyone saying it's costly though.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1899 on: November 06, 2017, 07:22:11 PM »
Maybe you could just do the idling sprites of my own request I made back despite everyone saying it's costly though.

Perhaps just a reference sprite, but anything else and you'd be looking at a commission.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #1900 on: November 08, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
Perhaps just a reference sprite, but anything else and you'd be looking at a commission.

As a realistic choice I guess.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1901 on: November 13, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
+2
Wow all that new works are awesome.

Here is something I show in my Deviant:

(click to show/hide)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1902 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »

Left or Right?
I'm trying to aim as close to SotN style as possible, so I'm still debating on whether to update the palette or no.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1903 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
Left.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #1904 on: November 14, 2017, 12:57:38 AM »
depends on whether by "sotn style" you mean richter specifically

sotn recycled rondo sprites mostly, and based on that the right has the marginally more accurate palette

but the left is more in-line with how sotn handles palettes

i'd say meet in the middle--the left has more accurate color usage, but the right has closer shading (specifically, the left has too many darks and puts too much emphasis on little tiny highlights rather than on overall shaping as symphony handles those things--one such instance is that there are two colors for a tiny shoulder highlight, where the highlight should only be one color at its brightest at that scale and the second slightly darker color should cover more area than it does)

anything