Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Opinions on Mega Man 11 (so far)  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
Personally, I'm not impressed. I'm a mega Man veteran, have loved the series and the X series (at least the trilogy) but this entry doesn't feel like it really fits in my opinion. I know it's just a demo and not the final version at all but with all the praise and hype it's getting, I don't really see why or how. To me, it feels more like a more polished mighty number 9. The music is fantastic. The graphics are great as well. I get that it's a demo but why so much praise? The heavy reliance on the new "gear system" really cripples the all around feel of it being a legit Mega Man game. Take a look at 9 and 10. They took a step back in graphics as well as staying to a traditional feel and were great entries in the series. This one while having better graphics, changes the formula completely and it just doesn't flow very smoothly, at least to me. What do you guys think?
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
Well, it seemed challenging.  It took me awhile to get through it, but I could see a few reasons for that:
- Playing it after midnight after a long, tiring day probably meant I wasn't thinking/reacting well
- Something in the way it controlled felt weird somehow -- I don't have a clue how to explain it.  I know I've felt the same way about several Mega Man titles (and other games) with similar graphic styles.  It seems slow or like I'm not moving how/when I expect or something...*shrug*
- I was playing mostly without utilizing the gear system

I liked it enough that I think I'll pick it up (if/when the wallet allows), but I'm not completely sold on it.  I don't think I have a problem with the gear system.  However, if the progression of Block Man's fight is an example of how they'll all go, I'm not too excited about that.  Starting with a more typical, patterned boss fight that progresses into a giant boss fight is a cool idea (although I couldn't figure out the pattern for that one -- I hope just because I was tired).  While I liked the way bosses in Bloodstained:CotM had a final "last ditch effort" attack, I didn't like how they did it for Block Man.

But I'm probably still gonna buy it.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:46:14 AM »
I didn’t know a MM11 demo was available, thanks for info. Definitely going to try it out later today.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 11:37:22 PM »
I don't have the system this game will be on, so no buy for me, nor no care.  ;D

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
^ Isn't it coming out for PC, though?

It looks ok to me.
The gear system is pretty, meh. Feels like it would fit better in MMX than in classic. Plus, it'll likely detract from the utility of the master weapons like the mega buster already does. That was the reason they removed it in MM9 & 10 in the first place.
Other than that, it reminds me of MM7 a bit with the somewhat over-designed robot masters. Not as bad as MM7, but still.
The level design seems pretty solid at least. And nothing seems to necessarily require the use of the gears in the stages at least.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:07:57 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »
I wouldn't be comparing this to MN9. It doesn't look like MM at its best, but Capcom by the same token can't just make a crust off 8-bit entries. They need to attract new and old fans.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »
+1
I realize it might be too much work, or it might just not be possible considering the gameplay and features of MM11...but I'd wish for (and totally be all over) an 8-bit version of this game.  Pixelate everything and make as few changes as possible (only the things that really have to be changed) and I'd be a lot more excited and into this game.  They maybe can't make a crust off 8-bit, but I'd even be willing to shell out another couple of bucks for an 8-bit version as part of the package, or a future download.  I'd strive to achieve whatever goal necessary to get the 8-bit game if it were an unlockable feature.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »
I realize it might be too much work, or it might just not be possible considering the gameplay and features of MM11...but I'd wish for (and totally be all over) an 8-bit version of this game.  Pixelate everything and make as few changes as possible (only the things that really have to be changed) and I'd be a lot more excited and into this game.  They maybe can't make a crust off 8-bit, but I'd even be willing to shell out another couple of bucks for an 8-bit version as part of the package, or a future download.  I'd strive to achieve whatever goal necessary to get the 8-bit game if it were an unlockable feature.

The problem here is you're one of the oldschool fans like myself who appreciates 8-bit games. In reality yes they could have gone the Galaga DX route and offered alternate graphic styles in an HD format, but that increases development time which increases overheads, which increases product cost. Sure, oldschool fans and such may be willing to pay the price, but people in general aren't a fan of spending money these days, there's been at least one person on this thread saying they wouldn't purchase MM11, and this is quite a specific place to be posting online.

In truth I myself won't be purchasing it. Hell I almost didn't purchase Sonic Mania because I thought it was too expensive, but I was gifted an eb voucher and ended up using it.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
I'm an old-school Mega Man fan, too. (Started with Mega Man 2 and then went back to play Mega Man 1 before Mega Man 3 came out.) I have gotten pretty concerned about Mega Man 11 in recent months. I can't play the Demo since it's not on Steam, but from what I've seen and read, it doesn't come across as a confident next-gen 2D Mega Man. The Double Gear system seems to have been put in there to make the concept of Mega Man more accessible to a general audience, which is understandable, but then I hear they baked it into the level design fairly heavily, making it less optional than I had expected. As was said here, I think it might take away from using Robot Masters' weapons. They've had upgrade parts you could buy from Auto or Dr. Light for a while in the series, so I'm a little surprised the Double Gear wasn't put into something like that. The way each boss is like two bosses in one kind of makes me feel like I won't get a good feel for a boss' standard identity. But overall, it just looks sort of bland. It doesn't look overwhelmingly like a next-gen Mega Man game. I really liked Mega Man 7, and this doesn't feel like the kind of jump we saw from the NES to SNES. A lot of the backgrounds and foregrounds look too simple or washed out. The game doesn't "pop." I'm not sure it's much better visually than Mighty No.9 on the whole. It may be more consistent, but in terms of overall visual impact, not so much from what I've seen so far.

Mighty No.9 was rough around the edges (some spots of slowdown and unpolished graphical effects/models) and was part of a Kickstarter fiasco, but Mighty No.9 was actually a really fun game once one got used to what it was trying to do. (The dash mechanic was even better than X's dash mechanic.) And it took some level design risks with its 3D assets, like objects from the background falling into the foreground and such. I don't know that this new Mega Man is really trying for the wow factor. And after Mega Man 9 and 10 being retro 8-bit titles, I think Mega Man needs some wow factor. Even as a longtime Mega Man fan, I'm not married to it being 8-bit by any means, and feel that I've had more than my share of that style. I want Mega Man to move into the future while still maintaining it's core identity. Mega Man 11 looks like it's more of half-steps, which doesn't separate itself far enough from the experimental Mighty No.9 in my opinion. I mean, Mega Man 11 doesn't really look like it's upped its overall visual impression (aside from rendering) from what we had on the PSP's Powered Up, and that was a while ago.

I'll still pick it up sooner or later, but I'm not exactly hyped.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:58:41 PM by RichterB »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 03:39:10 AM »
+1
I'm not married to it being 8-bit by any means, and feel that I've had more than my share of that style. I want Mega Man to move into the future while still maintaining it's core identity... Mega Man 11 doesn't really look like it's upped its overall visual impression (aside from rendering) from what we had on the PSP's Powered Up, and that was a while ago.

Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but 11 looks like a 2.5D version of 8 to me, and although I will always choose sprites, I think it looks decent.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 09:39:05 PM »
I may purchase the Steam release someday but not recent years. All my hypes and interests toward the classic Mega Man franchise had been lost in the past days due to long absent of decent fresh new titles (in my view)...

The other factor - X Legacy Collection... X Challenge mode (hard) Vol.2 6-3 stinks, which further builds up my bad first impression of current men leading the revival of Mega Man franchise.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:40:02 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
+1
X Legacy Collection is BAD, Still having input latency issues (X1-X3 exclusive) as well as questionable performance issues, Given that you can already play all the games on PC via emulation and ports on something as Potato as an Intel Atom, I find it odd that these issues are even issues at all on any platform, even more-so that these issues haven't been patched out.
Still bought it, to support a possible X9 release though.

As for Megaman 11, I'll have to come back to you on that one, waiting for the steam release to finally unlock...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
I thought it was great. It does play it very safe, maybe too safe, but that doesnt stop it from being fairly fresh.

The double Gear system is well implemented and not too intrusive, though I felt the power gear was too easy to forget. aside from powering up your special weapons, most of them were well enough on their own that i didnt need to power them up. The speed gear is where the real magic was.

As for the double gear move, now THAT was incredibly easy to overlook, and I think i only ever relied on it once in the whole game.

that said, lets talk about shortcomings. Mild spoilers maybe-

(click to show/hide)

Other than that, I really liked it, even if it played it a bit too safe. The visuals were especially nice and full of detail and care. Such as after fighting the mammoth robot miniboss in Tundra Man's stage, you see the exhibit he broke out of a little further in. Or how the Fuse Man Miniboss' sunglasses shatter upon defeat right before he explodes. It's all in the details.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:27:22 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
I've beaten it twice, played around for a bit, and watched others play it.

I think this is the most flexible Mega Man yet.
Sure I have some gripes with the game, mostly a good amount of nit-picking, But I do find it enjoyable.

Like Sonic Mania, It's nice to anticipate something, get what you're excited for and still be in store of a few pleasant surprises.

Now, that being Said.... What's X9 gonna look like? Is there gonna be some Proto/Bass side-story DLC?
It really seems like Capcom has gotten back on track... for the most part.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:28 AM »
Didn't know that about the Robot Masters.
Doesn't really make sense when you look at their individual designs either.
Aside from Fuse and maybe Tundra, they don't really seem like designs "He" would come up with.
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything