Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: whats this stuff that shows up on the right side of the screen?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
whats this stuff that shows up on the right side of the screen?
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Im seeing replied posts.
What gives?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: whats this stuff that shows up on the right side of the screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »
Forum now notifies you of replies to topics you've been in, sort of like Facebook notifications.

Is it annoying?  Let me know.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Joachim

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
I thought it was neat.

Only thing I think is a bit annoying is that youtube links are automatically embedded as videos; it should be an optional thing.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
....in the reply notification on the right, or in posts?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Joachim

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
i-in posts. i don't think it would show a youtube video in the notification...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
There's a new version of the auto-embedder.  Perhaps I will try it out later and maybe it will give you the option as an user to disable the auto-embed.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »
i actually like it! ;D
i did have a wtf moment at first but i think it a very convenient feature for the forum

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
i-in posts. i don't think it would show a youtube video in the notification...

Try using the (url=Insertyoutubelink.here)And use a sentence here(/url) now, and use brackets instead of parentheses.
Let me do a test:

Here's an example of a Cave Story Tune in Youtube as a link!  As you can see, it works!

If you just enter the URL, however:
Theme Song - Cave Story - Doukutsu Monogatari
You get this.

You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
That's a good fix. I didn't like how YouTube vids would automatically be embedded when using the <url></url> code.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
Yeah the embedder turns out to be a little TOO smart when catching the urls.
Using it in a sentence with the URL tag should work now.  I enabled that option.

I can also disable its usage if it gets quoted (which I think is the default - disabled).

You guys as users should let me know whether you can find a spot where you can toggle the videos, 'cuz I'm not sure you can just disable the auto-embed but at least now you know how to disable it yourself when you're posting.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
The notifications on the right side, is it possible for individual users to enable or disable it? I really don't like it myself, especially since it just shows a whole bunch of stuff real quickly and then disappears. Doesn't even give me a chance to process any of it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
I can slow it down, as it does come up rather fast and, unlike Facebook, doesn't leave the "Red Number" somewhere you can click.
However, it does seem like a cool 'reminder' if you're in the middle of typing something.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
Just to make this less annoying
make it into a button with a drop down window

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
It's not up to me, pal. :P
That's how the notification is.  I can get rid of it or keep it.  If I could edit it, I would.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
It keeps giving me notifications for replies to threads I posted in several months ago, heh. "SOMEBODY REPLIED TO THIS THREAD A LONG TIME AGO, SO I'LL NOTIFY YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU CLEARLY DIDN'T GIVE ENOUGH A SHIT TO CHECK IT OUT WHEN THE REPLY WAS NEW."

:]
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: