Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70813 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
I think it's high time the Stopwatch gained a little more importance than just stopping enemies. I think I'm gonna make it a full-on gameplay mechanic for potential alternate routes and hidden items/areas/bosses.

Kinda like they did in SotN?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
Also in DXC, they did a new room where you need to use the clock subweapon to enter, I think its in clock tower.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
That would actually be much easier to manage, since I don't have to make memory-check variables to remember the direction of movement (like the platforms have). I could easily just reverse direction when the global freeze variable is active. And, since I'm making the Monster a subboss and giving the Clock Tower's boss spot to Death, I can easily justify it as the Stopwatch still not having prevalence over Death's mastery of time.

Good idea, Lelygax. :)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
Also in DXC, they did a new room where you need to use the clock subweapon to enter, I think its in clock tower.

Forgot about that one too. Thanks for the reminder. And if I'm not mistaken you can't simply activate the stop watch in order to open the gates it because they close way too fast. You need to item crash it to even remotely have a chance at getting through the gates.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »
What if you also gave the stopwatch multiple abilities? Maybe, you could also use it to speed things up not just slow them down. Maybe it also depends on the item button you use to activate it. Maybe assigning another button with the button press depending on if you want to stop time or speed it up...just an idea.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Maybe. It wouldn't be hard, theoretically, but it would take a lot of time to program. Maybe, rather than have it be a subweapon effect, be a stage-object trigger effect?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
Well, now that most everything in the beta is working properly, I have time to polish.

Water shaders, bitches.

Can one of the mods please kill this post? I didn't know this one was still loading when I posted the other one. Dunno how that happened.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:14:49 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
Now that most everything in beta is working (except Medusa because I haven't quite found a sheet of her I want to use yet), I have time to polish.

Water shaders, bitches.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
Now that most everything in beta is working (except Medusa because I haven't quite found a sheet of her I want to use yet), I have time to polish.

Water shaders, bitches.

Got a vid of it in action? I just made some water too for my Ghost Ship level....

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
Not currently, no. I just finished up leaving YouTube for Dailymotion, so video progress is going to be stale for a bit.

It's simple enough, though. It draws a long water sprite and alters it by means of a sine, and each wave generates a subimage trail on whatever's coded to be underneath the water, giving the illusion of deep-water distortion.

For whatever reason, though, it doesn't want to distort the background. Haven't figured out why just yet.

EDIT: Forgot to post this one. The distortion gets stronger as the water gets deeper, though this gif is pretty shitty at showing that off. That's what I get for cutting out frames to loop it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:21:47 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
Not currently, no. I just finished up leaving YouTube for Dailymotion, so video progress is going to be stale for a bit.

It's simple enough, though. It draws a long water sprite and alters it by means of a sine, and each wave generates a subimage trail on whatever's coded to be underneath the water, giving the illusion of deep-water distortion.

For whatever reason, though, it doesn't want to distort the background. Haven't figured out why just yet.

EDIT: Forgot to post this one. The distortion gets stronger as the water gets deeper, though this gif is pretty shitty at showing that off. That's what I get for cutting out frames to loop it.

Ha, looks cool!

Vamprotector Ghost Ship 1-1 (added 2)
There's mine...

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Well, it turns out that the water shader goes apeshit when active during the Stopwatch's inversion code.

This is just one of the many things that go bananas.

It will do this forever. Ugh.

While I could probably fix it after a stupid long time of workarounds, I'm not going to. It's not a massive priority if the water is bendy or not. I'm going to miss it, but that's part of game design; you've got to be willing to make sacrifices and concede on shit you like for the better whole of the project.

So now the water's back to being this. It's not a horrible change, but still.

Sorry for the lag. Used GifCam rather than my record-to-video-then-convert-to-gif method. Not making that mistake again.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
If you're planning on actually adding story and dialogue, I can help you write it. I was rewriting the dialogue to Symphony of the Night a while back, but I didn't exactly finish it since I was stuck on what to change in the later scenes.

If you're interested, here's the dialogue writes I did.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Well, the only thing I'd really be concerned about in regards to water animations would be splashes whenever you enter or exit a body of water. Do you have any plans for that?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags:

anything