Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SOPHSTAR  (Read 2878 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: February 14, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
+1
I rarely post anything anymore, mostly because I'm involved in a ton of stuff I can't talk much about. But this I can.

SOPHSTAR is a vertical shoot'em up game I have been working on with team Banana Bytes over the past two years. The team is the very meaning of the word "indie": Literally not a single outside dollar invested in it, but even beyond that, most members are greenhorns and this is their first foray in game development. The game was made on everyone's spare time and now it's about to release. Please, watch our trailer:

The game will release for $9,99 in a week from now (Feb 18th). Here's the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410440/Sophstar/

The game is planned to release on other platforms too.

We need all help we can get: Show it to your friends, put it on your wishlist. If I can get this team to do well, you damn better believe I can make them put out some amazing stuff in the future.

Special thanks to two people from this forum: Chernabogue, who made the MIND BLOWING remix of Sophstar's level 1 theme, and Dracula9 who created a very specific sound effect used on the trailer that ties the intro with the trailer's body. If you're a game developer and is not hiring these two yet for your stuff, you are missing out BIG time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:28:09 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »
Nice trailer! And it looks solid too!

Although I did notice this: Past will unravel. Shouldn't it be; The past will unravel? Or is the former intentional?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 12:56:51 AM »
Someone's a fan of Cave and danmaku shmups I see (seriously no Touhou influences, thank goodness the bullets are fast!).

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:05:13 PM »
Although I did notice this: Past will unravel. Shouldn't it be; The past will unravel? Or is the former intentional?

It's intentional :)

Someone's a fan of Cave and danmaku shmups I see (seriously no Touhou influences, thank goodness the bullets are fast!).

The main director actually dislikes Touhou quite a bit! But yeah, there's a lot of influences from Cave to Toaplan to Compile to Raizing!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 12:44:20 AM »
Most excellent!  :D

Toaplan Forever!

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 05:31:37 AM »
Question: Did the involving of this game's production/develop affect the progress of Castlevania: Seal of the Eclipse?

And yeah the modern gaming library needs more retrospective shooters rather than the things clearly imitating touhous. Not that the Touhou games are bad; Things is after the 15th game the overall design of pattern became worse and worse. Like drowning in the Abyss of sweet horn or something.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »
Question: Did the involving of this game's production/develop affect the progress of Castlevania: Seal of the Eclipse?

Yes, everytime I'm working on something else, I'm not working on SotE. SOPHSTAR'S progress itself was affected by me working on something else, too. It's just the nature of game development, you switch priorities all the time.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
Yes, everytime I'm working on something else, I'm not working on SotE. SOPHSTAR'S progress itself was affected by me working on something else, too. It's just the nature of game development, you switch priorities all the time.
Well, okay... best wishes to you and your team. Good Luck!
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Tags: