Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: General Mega Man Discussion Thread  (Read 186208 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »
Ill start off by replying to a post by crisis on the street fighter thread.
I dunno if i'm correct, but I recall a while back some timeline that was featured on one of the Japanese Rockman sites (i think it was for the RMZ Collection), and every X game was included EXCEPT for X7, X8, etc. which may or may not imply that those games could've been retconned?? I don't even know anymore.
the Zero Collection website timeline. But it only covers events relevant tot he Zero series.

MM10, pre-X1, X5, and X6. by that logic, that also would mean X1-4 are not canon because it doesnt cover them. It simply doesnt cover non relevant events.

*Megaman 10- the factor which would make Light complete X with perfect virus countermeasures
* Zero's creation and sealing
*the events pre-X1 (X and Zero found, Sigma/Zero battle, Sigma revolt)
*The Earth Crisis of X5, and Eurasia's crash into the Earth, and the subsequent "Area Zero" of the crash being sealed off from entry for the next century, but due to an environmental system left in tact after the crash, nature reclaims the site during that decade.
*The Nightmare Incident which eventually leads the Government to learn that Zero is the source, and carrier of the virus, directly leading to his first sealing.

orbital elevators and new gens are not relevant to the Zero series. (only as background information- such as Neo Arcadia Tower being a damaged orbital elevator shaft left over from the wars, refitted as one large trap)

new gens and the copy chip are more relevant to the ZX series than the Zero series, what with Master Albert utilizing the A-Trans. (Trans-on)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:53 AM »
*Megaman 10- the factor which would make Light complete X with perfect virus countermeasures

I never thought about that. The events in MM 10 could lead to the creation of X?

But also, wasn't it Wily who created the cure for robenza, or whatever the desease was?

Wily gave Dr Light the inspiration to create X?

It bothers me that MM 9 wasn't the game that connected to the X series. It could have been X, as in roman numeral 10.

But now we have to wait until MM 11, if it ever comes, to finally get a game that connects to the X series.

And if MM 11, if it ever gets released, does not connect the series, I'll have to throw an ALL CAPS RAGE fit.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
I also thought that Mega Man X was actually Mega Man 10. Until I read the story and wondered what happened to all the other numbered games in between. I think it's about time we got a game the fills in the century gap between the two series'. So far we have Mega Man 10 taking place in 20XX and Mega Man X starting off in 21XX. Not a whole lotta room left to fill...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Its never going to happen.
Classic is a lighthearted series. it will never actually end.

I never thought about that. The events in MM 10 could lead to the creation of X?
not to his creation- to the inclusion of perfect virus countermeasures when he was eventually built
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »
Classic is a lighthearted series.

Yeah that's true. But I only remember the games after Mega Man 4 to be lighthearted. Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and 4 had a bit more of a serious tone to them as I remember it. wait-* Mega Man 7 for the SNES was also in the more serious league in terms of story. At the end of the game Mega Man was prepared to murder Wily cause he'd had enough.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:29:20 AM by X »
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »
megaman is dead to me

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
Yeah that's true. But I only remember the games after Mega Man 4 to be lighthearted. Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and 4 had a bit more of a serious tone to them as I remember it. wait-* Mega Man 7 for the SNES was also in the more serious league in terms of story. At the end of the game Mega Man was prepared to murder Wily cause he'd had enough.
that was a localization rewrite. in the original he aims at wily, and wily says "you? shoot me? Im a Human!" to which Rock just goes "..."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »
that was a localization rewrite. in the original he aims at wily, and wily says "you? shoot me? Im a Human!" to which Rock just goes "..."

But it still looked as though Mega Man was considering breaking the first rule of robotics in order to permanently stop Wily. I'd have to wonder what was going through his mind at that moment.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
There's only 1 Mega Man series to me, that's the classic series, the rest I don't care much for.

This could've also applied to the speak your mind thread, but I speak my mind anyway when I post, so that thread is irrelevant to me (see what I mean).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
But it still looked as though Mega Man was considering breaking the first rule of robotics in order to permanently stop Wily. I'd have to wonder what was going through his mind at that moment.
But the implications are far different. In the origjnal, he realizes Wily is right, and cant shoot him. in the localization, he says "I GONNA DO WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE YEARS AGO!"

whereas in the original its more along the lines of "Thats the same old aplogy over and over..."

in the localization he goes "IM MORE THAN A ROBOT! DIE WILY!"

in the original, he goes "..." realizing wily is right, he cant shoot a human, because he ISNT more than a robot.

Mega Man 7, and Mega Man X2 are the WORST localizations in the entire franchise.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
That does make more sense since the original Mega Man is supposed to be a robot while Mega Man X is a reploid and can go beyond the realm of a robot if he so chooses. Buy the way, what is the true localization for X2? I'd be interested in reading it since the English one came off as not really adding anything to what should've been a progressing story.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
what it changed are mainly the hits at Serges being Wily. Things such as, upon his defeat by X, "Being defeated by the robotic memento of Right... such regret..."

he is also the ONLY character besides Dr. Cain, to ever call X by the full name of "Rockman X"

in the origina script, Sigma upon dying utters

"However, Zero.. why... he was.. the last of... Wi.. num.. bers...."

the intro with the X hunters also carries a completely different meaning. in the origjnal, they are monitoring X and consicdering what they should do about him, when Agile asks Serges how
"the completion of that one Repliroid"
is going. They ultimately decide to let the lesser mavericks take care of X and see how it goes.

something like this.

(SERGES)                       yatsuga EKKUSUnanoka... narubodo nakanaka
This is their leader.          yarioruwai.
His name is Mega Man X.        ----------------------------------------------
                               So that is X... I see he's becoming quite
                               a competitor.

(VIOLEN)                       FUN! taishitakotonaiZE!
Those who underestimated him   ----------------------------------------------
are now nothing but scrap.     HAH!  He is no such thing!

(AGILE)                        tashikani kareno nouryokuha kikendesune.
We won't make the same         imanouchini taoshite shimawanakuteha...
mistake.                       ----------------------------------------------
                               Certainly, his abilities are quite dangerous,
He is powerful, but he is      don't you think?  Surely we should not be giving
blind to what is happening     thought to defeating him now..
around him.

(SERGES)                       koyatsuno shoriha washirano bukani
Our Mavericks will keep him    makaserutosurukanou.
busy until we are ready.       ----------------------------------------------
                               I propose we leave it to our subordinates to
                               deal with him and see how it goes.

(AGILE)                        ...tokorode anoREPURIROIDOga kanseisurunoni
Yes. How is the plan           itsumadekakarunodeuka...
proceeding?                    ----------------------------------------------
                               ...by the by, how long do you suppose it will
                               take to complete that one Repliroid?

(SERGES)                       PA-TSUha hobo kanseishite irunojyaga
Collection is proceeding as    ...(p)seigyokairoga fukanzennanojya.
scheduled.                     ----------------------------------------------
                               I've almost completed the parts, but... (p)
However, we are having         the control circuit is still imperfect.
problems with the control
chip.

(AGILE)                        watashitachino mokutekinotameniha
We have little time.           anoREPURIROIDOnochikaraga hitsuyounanodesu.

We must finish construction    isoganakuteha...
on schedule.                   ----------------------------------------------
We must hurry...               For the sake of all of our plans, that
                               Repliroid's power is indispensible.

To not hurry would mean...
completely different right?

the localization also makes allusions to a "prophesy" and Sigma having blueprints of Zero lying around.

im hesitant to post the translate script because it is not actually THAT accurate. it carries the original meaning over, but I dont want to cause misconceptions through it

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
Yeah I never got that whole prophecy thing either. however even if it's not accurate I'd still be interested. I'll just muddle my way through it and make the best assumptions about it as I can. This bit of info you've already shared is interesting to read. Did the rest of the X series come off this badly translated as well or did they spare the rod?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »
I also thought that Mega Man X was actually Mega Man 10. Until I read the story and wondered what happened to all the other numbered games in between. I think it's about time we got a game the fills in the century gap between the two series'. So far we have Mega Man 10 taking place in 20XX and Mega Man X starting off in 21XX. Not a whole lotta room left to fill...

Keiji Inafune said in an interview something to the effect of that he didn't want to do the game that bridged the two series because he'd have to kill off Rock who he viewed almost as a son. I don't know if that might change now that he's out of the picture.

That does make more sense since the original Mega Man is supposed to be a robot while Mega Man X is a reploid and can go beyond the realm of a robot if he so chooses. Buy the way, what is the true localization for X2? I'd be interested in reading it since the English one came off as not really adding anything to what should've been a progressing story.

X isn't a reploid. The reploids are modeled after him and are inferior at that. For that matter, neither is Zero who is of a completely different design from X and the reploids. And although Zero was rebuilt the first time using reploid technology, the second time he was rebuilt by Wily presumably using his own original technology.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:16:44 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
X and Zero can and are considered Reploids. Reploids are made from the same technology and have the same mental capabilities. the term itself is used to refer to robots made with humanlike mental capabilities. (view the intro narration to Zero 4) X and Zero CAN be excluded as Reploids, thus making Sigma the first Reploid, but otherwise they are usually counted as Reploids.

Yeah I never got that whole prophecy thing either. however even if it's not accurate I'd still be interested. I'll just muddle my way through it and make the best assumptions about it as I can. This bit of info you've already shared is interesting to read. Did the rest of the X series come off this badly translated as well or did they spare the rod?

Eh. the rest, were not as bad. X2 and 7 both came out in NA the same year, so it's likely they both had the same localization team, which is why both were horribly translated and completely rewritten.
The manuals didnt help either. The Japanese X2 manual had profiles of all the characters, including the X hunters, which furthered the comparison between Seges and Wily, by saying he was a "super genius", "like the legendary mad scientist"

The localized version removed all that, and instead added a newspaper article about X defeating the mavericks.

The rest of the X series was alright. After X3, the localizations became MUCH better.

If anything, any translation differences there come more from the differences between Japanese and English, or vague meanings that are hard to translate. X5 for example, has Sigma mentioning that his partner, the "old man who acts like Zero's father" used to be a "comrade" of X's. So X has an old evil comerad who hates him and acts like Zero's father.

uh huh.

the origjnal japanese was more vague in this part, i think it instead implied that X might know him.

X6 has bad issues with it's localization, but only due to rushed work. Its still a mostly accurate translation. in fact, the only X game where the Japanese and English names are the exact same. 9with the exception of Metal Shark Prayer to Metal Shark Player, which is probably a mistake, since with his abilities, Prayer makes much more sense)

here's the X2 script though.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588480-mega-man-x2/faqs/18452

Tags: