Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest  (Read 94575 times)

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »
well i have to say this game looks good idk why last time i seen it i didn't like it some reason i was thinking it looked as old as nes but this has a lot of color in it even if its not up to sotn looks its still looks very good plus like all the stuff your adding in i'll have to play this as for stuff like getting poisoned and stuff and having to get cured sound cool maybe have a rare effect like Vampire like the old 64 games maybe even after you get Vampire effect and do a list of things you can turn and have a new game mode where you kill people in the city's trying to take over and please Dracula just be something cool a what if story but it be hard to unlock just give players something to keep playing even after they beat the main game maybe not who knows lol but give a story line for it always love unlocking new people but always hate no games want to give them a story line just some change of txt and its a new game much cooler anyway good luck on your game its looking good

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2016, 07:42:21 AM »
The jumping seems a little to fast imo. Looks like it'd be hard to control in a lot of situations.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
Bloo the FPS rating in the water splash is recorded in 16 fps my game runs at 60 fps so i think it just seems too fast as it has less frames in the picture.
It has the about same speed as other metroidvanias so no worries there check my South Bridge GIF it's recorded in 33 fps.
Not going to record 60 fps as it takes too much memory and space.

mgfcortez it's ok. This games graphics are still about 60%+ not fully done. Also I have done minor improvements based on critique so its good to get negative comments as well.
But I'm never going to makes this look as same as symphony of the night as I lack the skill, time and also I like this retro thing. And like I stated in my first post about the game,
I might add new game plus I already have lots of nice plans for it like unlockable characters (not hard to ques what characters) and everything is more harder.
By harder I don't mean more hp or damage to enemies no no... I mean harder jumpy bits + enemy placement + different enemies + enemies have more abilities.

Here's some extra images again. Try to ques what whip that is =D
"in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king"

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
it doesn't have to be on sotn lvl nether your game looks really nice i like it can't wait till you get done with it i wouldn't mind playing it for sure

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
It's good to hear you're trying to correct some of the bad design decisions that plagued the original Simon's Quest. I'm looking forward to giving this game a shot when there's a demo available.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
I honestly can't wait to try this out. It definitely reminds me of the DOS sidescrolling games in aesthetic.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
I'm sorry I have been away and I will still be for about two months.
Reason is this is my final year of school and my final half of my exams and lectures.
So after April all my studies and lectures are over and only my book thingy need to be written so I graduate from university.
So I will be focusing my school until April, after that I'm back on this project unless I fail a class (like swedish) and have to go trough the course again. =D
But anyways see you all after April.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure (GB)
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
I also lost touch of this topic. It kinda got lost in the various CV fangames I don't really care about. What you added looks great. It reminds me a bit of NES but a bit better with the extra colors and more graphic variety.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
MooMilk

I know video game logic overlooks things but. Evern wonder how they got such a big statue up those stairs? I'm having a hard time believing that floor could support the weight of that statue.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:30:19 AM by MooMilk »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
I know video game logic overlooks things but. Evern wonder how they got such a big statue up those stairs? I'm having a hard time believing that floor could support the weight of that statue.

I think you quoted the wrong image there, buddy.

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Sorry about that, I edited the post. After you post it takes you to the forum index again so I didn't get to review my post or anything.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2017, 03:15:39 AM »
You should check the statue was either carved on the spot my a famous stonemason artisan or it was lifted in while the church was being constructed.
There is also ample winch space on the sides so it also could have been lifted there later.
Also the flood ain't that long also its made out of carved stone with steel reinforcements also the stairs actually act as a support from the other side.
Thou I don't know why i need to explain such things if you have ever played video games before its all silly even the most realistic ones, and this does not aim to be a simulator.
You should watch a few documentaries on how famous church were built during renaissance there are actually many of them, I have seen a few thou not directly on church construction.

I could write an insane lore for each stone and stick in the game but this game would be finished maybe in 3457 earliest.
But like i said before i will add more lore but I'm not going to lore every stick and stone =D
But maybe ill lore the statues we shall see...

Or if it seems silly i can and pylons, thou I think the church now looks different after all that's an "old" (many versions back) image.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2017, 03:21:40 AM »

Yeah it looks a bit better now.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
Not sure if anything in the sheet I have is useful to the project or not but you are free to use anything if you think it fits. I recolored a bunch of enemies a while back when I was working on animations. They have better color detail than the originals but are still pretty retro looking.

You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Corpscrank@

Awesome spritesheet! Did something similar with the NES sprites too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."