Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just another Castlevania fan-game...  (Read 66520 times)

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »
they won't attack just yet while you can safely pelt them with knives
That's called "tactics", no? I mean it's meant to be played like that.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2016, 03:12:03 AM »
It just seemed kinda weird to me, especially when they still respond to you standing or ducking. Guess I should've mentioned that before.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2016, 04:36:41 AM »
It just seemed kinda weird to me, especially when they still respond to you standing or ducking. Guess I should've mentioned that before.

Can confirm. The archers will stand or crouch depending on if you're standing or crouching, which is at least very curious.

On another note, I couldn't get very far as the controls are too stiff for me and the level design is not helping. But I'll give a better review when I manage to get further in the game.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
Hey, do you killed it now? What can you say about other bosses and levels?

It really bothers me that you're the only who played my demo so far...

If you want a opinion here is, it will be in spoiler so it dosnt affect the others playing

DONT READ IF YOU DON WANT SPOILER OF SOME PARTS OF THE AREAS!!!
(click to show/hide)

Im doing some videos but since my recorder have problems recording long plays im just uploading when i beat the boss or pass some areas but after stage 3 i die a lot.

Its me or Simon moves his arms a little weird when he walk?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:15:30 AM by Jop »

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
I haven't tried the demo yet (did download it from, going to give it a go after posting this)but after reading about the archer setup, maybe you could up the challenge a bit by have detectors for when the daggers get thrown the archer shoots them down? Provided of course that he isn't already shooting at you while you throw the dagger lol. and as for the attack distance, you may be able to adjust the distance based on Simon's x positions vs the archers x position, and make it so that the archer may not attack unless you get close enough or if you happen to hit him with a dagger first. just a couple of thoughts, no criticism of any kind dude, just a few ideas.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »
I think the movement engine is almost where it needs to be.  I feel it needs to be just a touch faster, particularly in the attack speed.  The whip and dagger takes longer than it should to attack.  The hitboxes could use a bit of refinement also, as they feel pretty wide.  I personally don't find any issue with the skeleton archers adjusting based on your standing/crouching state.  There are some other things that I could nitpick, but those are minor things.

I think if you speed up the movement a tad, or at least the attack animations and refine the hitboxes then it would be much better.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
The problem is that the archers respond to you standing or crouching regardless of whether they "see" you or not.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »
Yeah... I think you're right about archers. I'll try to make them more "natural"

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
There's little but considerable delay in between the sub-weapon start-up and the sub-weapon finally thrown away during jumping/crouching. The delay things is not quite good when I face a game which should be crisp and clearly in its control scheme

Some enemies (most for frogs) I have trouble to defeat; Frogs need 2 hits to be defeated
Black panther's speed is also a little too fast

And player can't jump and catch the stair like Rondo right?

Also having trouble defeating stage 1 boss in normal difficulty  :'( :'(
There're too much rooms in between check points even in easy difficulty

If the enemy settings are on purpose then I'm sorry :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:54:47 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »
There's little but considerable delay in between the sub-weapon start-up and the sub-weapon finally thrown away during jumping/crouching
And during the standing attack too. And this delay is EXACTLY the same as for whip attacks. This is one of the core mechanics of any classic Castlevania game.

Frogs need 2 hits to be defeated
You'll found an upgrade for your whip during the second stage.

And player can't jump and catch the stair like Rondo right?
Yep. I wanted to make stairs to be dangerous, but not too hard. You still can jump off them at any moment and use your sub-weapons easily.

Also having trouble defeating stage 1 boss in normal difficulty
That's sad. On my youtube channel you can find an old video where I've completed the 1st level. The Invincibility Jar would be a great help for you.
But if you have some difficulties even on the first stage... Then I'm really sorry. Even the second stage is really hard, not even talking about later levels...

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
I think im on the last area but cant find a way to enter the elevators, is there a way or thats the end of the demo?

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »
Looks like It's only me who have trouble with the delay...but it's really a little bit slow unlike the control scheme feelings in classic Castlevania games...... and I feel it strange (it cause hitting enemies at higher position a serious problem) maybe 1~2 frames quicker will be Okay.........
Also the recover motion after jumping from higher position is rather slow
 If you think no problem then never mind, I'm sorry

"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Looks like It's only me who have trouble with the delay...but it's really a little bit slow unlike the control scheme feelings in classic Castlevania games...... and I feel it strange (it cause hitting enemies at higher position a serious problem) maybe 1~2 frames quicker will be Okay.........
Also the recover motion after jumping from higher position is rather slow
 If you think no problem then never mind, I'm sorry

Not really, I'm also having some problems with the delay. Both the whip and the subweapons seems slightly more sluggish than, say, Rondo's delay. Not only the whip seems to come out slower, but the cooldown feels slower too. I even compared Rondo right now with this game, and it feels somewhat slower.

I'm playing through it and noticing some strange level-design decisions. I'm noting them all down before I post them here. They're not so much of an issue once you learn the positions of the enemies, but having an EXTRA small frog which you can't hit unless it's jumping, plus a delay for the whip, plus a cooldown, PLUS death pits can get pretty annoying if you don't lure the frog to the pit.

I feel like you can't make it through the levels on your first try on skill alone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:02:12 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
is there a way or thats the end of the demo?
Yes, there is! From the start you should go left, to the Bone Dragon. There is the elevator and the door to it should be opened...
Or you can't find the way back?

The increased high-fall delay was intentional. You should remember this weakness to avoid some traps. Do you remember the flipping floor..?

Both the whip and the subweapons seems slightly more sluggish than, say, Rondo's delay
Don't forget about one thing, please. In RoB you will gain an extra delay if your whip hits the enemy. And my game is MEANT to be a bit slower than RoB, more closer to CV:Chronicles.
It's hard (I guess) and somewhat unforgivable (because there's only one checkpoint between levels). You should think more and keep in mind your weaknesses. That should work in the most cases, except...

EXTRA small frog which you can't hit unless it's jumping
Yeah, I've called it "THAT f*cking frog of unavoidable death". I've nerfed this one A LOT, actually. A long time ago, it was using the tongue attack - that makes it almost impossible to beat without the Holy Water. And there's no Holy Water in this stage... So yeah, eight times out of ten I was dying right there. I hated myself for making this frog so much, so I wanted to share my feels with the others.

@Aceearly1993, oh, don't worry. I hope you still can enjoy the game. Maybe I should make even easier difficulty with more checkpoints... Or include some cheats? I don't want people to be scared because of an excessive difficulty...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:43:36 AM by Lanforse »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »
Yes, there is! From the start you should go left, to the Bone Dragon. There is the elevator and the door to it should be opened...
Or you can't find the way back?

I kill the Bone Dragon but the door dosnt open, i throw holy water, axe, knife, whiped with all my whips but nothing (crouch dur¡ng 30 seconds, really XD), perhaps im doing something wrong? i will keep trying, wish me luck!!!

By the way i enjoyed the game, perhapas i like a lot of challenge i really dont know but yeah if you can find a way to fix and dont lose the challenge it will be great!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:44:09 AM by Jop »

Tags: