Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: It's Time to Pick Favorites...  (Read 7885 times)

Offline The Zeldaniac

• Richter Belmont, Vampire Hunter
  • Maria Renard is WCE
    • Zeldaniac's YouTube channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
I've stated once before that my favorite thing about Castlevania as a whole is just how fleshed out the Belmont family is, but that doesn't stop my favorite Castlevania character ever from being someone whose last name isn't "Belmont"...

Maria Renard is definitely my number one spot winner. My reasons why are all based on her Rondo of Blood incarnation, some of which carry on through the series...

• she has the most hilariously random and AWESOME arsenal I've ever seen ANYWHERE.
Don't even try denying that you feel absolutely BAD ASS when you're slaughtering everything with PIGEONS for crying out loud. This golden-haired, twelve-year-old lady in pink is also the master of... get this... her very own pet DRAGON and SO many more outrageous beasts. Boy... when this chick gets kidnapped, she REALLY calls up her crew when it's time for revenge. It's like Snow White on crack, LSD, and weed all at once.

• If I ever forget my list of sweets to stock up on for Trick-or-Treaters, Maria will always remind me.

See, when it's Richter's turn to try a stage, he'll find nothing but pork chops, drumsticks, and various other meats that have been decaying inside the castle walls for God knows how long. While some of these are big enough to satisfy a crocodile's appetite, it still gets very boring and monotonous. Now, compare Richter's breakfasts, lunches and dinners to Maria's. She gets lollipops, donuts, the biggest birthday cakes known to Vlad, ice cream, you name it, Maria gets to eat it. All of these are STILL found in the walls, because despite his obvious budget, not a SINGLE kitchen was built in Dracula's castle. But even so, isn't that just SO sweet of the vamp? Dracula has enough of a heart to spoil the girl as if she's his granddaughter.

• She makes Dracula realize just how weak he TRULY is...
"...Completely impossible... beaten by a little GIRL?!"

• Unlike Richter, Maria makes sure the castle collapses when she leaves.

So, how about you? Who's your favorite character of the series?

Artwork cred: http://thewolfbunny.deviantart.com/art/Maria-Renard-Runs-Out-The-Door-Challenge-438931106
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:59:43 AM by The Zeldaniac »
Everything happens for a reason. We can assume for the worse, but we can also hope and pray for the better. :)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
Maria's 12 in RoB, actually, and 17 in SotN.

My favorite non-Belmont is honestly between Alucard, Soma, or Shanoa. I have a thing for tragic heroes, and all three of them fit the bill, plus Soma goes through so much character development in just two games (though I wish the second game didn't happen).

It also doesn't help that Shanoa has the most fleshed-out 2Dvania of them all in terms of story presentation. Her following orders blindly, but then beginning to question her master's motives, and eventually realizing the truth, and cursing herself for her ignorance and later on her inability to feel. I've never been one to experience feels in a 2D game that delivers all speech through text, but Order of Ecclesia definitely hit that for me.

...Also, I feel like this thread should go into Classic Threads sub-board, since it's a favorite character thread.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
Someone hasn't read the rules:

"What's your Favorite X" topic go on "Classic Castlevania Threads".
Seriously, you guys...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
In the defense of any who might be like me, I often get caught up in my post and forget, or am just unsure if X really fits.  I have issues with being WAY too over-analytical.  For me...my apologies up front. :-/

Anyway, I'm not sure who I'd pick as a non-Belmont favorite.  I've come to like the titles like SotN where you can change your arsenal. As much as I like there being a traditional whip-wielder for play, I also like when there's something you can do to mix it up a little.  I might lean toward the SotN Alucard, because there seems to be such a massive arsenal, and for me it's something fun to go back and play again but only use X weapon or something.  Then again, though I may be the only one ever, I really liked Henry from Legacy of Darkness...that pistol was just awesome in my opinion!! :-D

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
Judgement's busty version of Sypha.

'nuff said
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:17:22 AM »
Nathan Graves from CotM. He is not a Belmont in name as they don't exist in that game, however he plays just like one. In my mind he is a true Belmont successor in spirit and so he deserves to be called a Belmont.

My other fave is Jon Morris from CV: Bloodlines. He also is not a Belmont in name but he is one by blood relation.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
I remember it meeting mixed reviews, but I enjoyed Nathan's DSS card system...another neat way to mix things up a bit.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
+1
I remember it meeting mixed reviews, but I enjoyed Nathan's DSS card system...another neat way to mix things up a bit.

I thought it was an awesome concept that just needed to be expanded on. There weren't enough cards, and as a result, not enough effects as a result. If they ever revisit the system (which I doubt they ever will), they could probably expand the decks, as well as even create a third one.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:53 AM »
Wait is this only favorite non Belmont or does it matter?

Regardless here is a 4 year old video where I say "you know what" a lot. It's about Richter Belmont.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCqt8LTUkkE

I do really Julius too but haven't made a video about him yet

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
Wait is this only favorite non Belmont or does it matter?

It's pretty much your favorite non-Belmont character. But I liked the vid  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:28:58 AM »
Thanks a bunch! For the question at hand I'm going to go with probably Nathan

Tags: