Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Unlicensed Genesis/Mega Drive games  (Read 12902 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »
The Genesis/MD is probably my favorite console of all time. Took a look at a few unlicensed games, holy heck:

Earth Defense:
A vertical schmup with IK graphics, OK gameplay, decent music and five stages, but decent customizability in the options for an unlicensed game. Picked it up brand new for $6, works fine on a US model 1 Genesis, but not the model 3.

Divine Sealing:
VERY basic graphics, horrible water effects, very colorful, another vertical schmup but this one has cutscenes and a plot(all in Japanese) and... Hentai :-X yes this game is famous for its cutscenes. That being said, the art is pretty damn good, especially for an unlicensed game. In game graphics, like I said are very basic, but very appealing. The gameplay is decent too IMO, and it feels like a very stereotypical old school game, just with its... Interesting cutscenes lol. BTW, the soundtrack is pretty damn good!

Rock man X3:
Yes, some dudes ported Megaman X3 to the Genesis, and I can't judge it that well because the emulator I used has TONS of graphical glitches that I didn't see from researching YouTube vids that may have been using either a better emulator or the real system. The gameplay is really fun, the controls take a bit of time to get used to, but the graphics are great (taken from the SNES game), the music is arguably bad but it is Megaman music on the genesis(I think it's good), and I'd definitely say it's worth getting. It is cheap on eBay, so I may pick it up, just worried it won't play in my US system(I'm 99.9% sure unlicensed games don't have region locking, but it could be anything that could keep it from running).

Brave Battle Saga:
I'm not a fan of turn based RPGs. Turns out I'm a HUGE fan of this game. BBS is a gem of a title that deserved more exposure back in the day. I feel like if they approached a publisher, they could've gotten this off the ground because it's pretty impressive. You have a big world, a good narrative, and party members, each with their own Sprite and attacks/attributes(Tim uses swords and daggers, Cherie uses bows, Iforgothername uses a staff etc.) graphics are extremely colorful and detailed, the soundtrack is amazing, the gameplay is a more fast paced RPG(at least from what I've been exposed to in this genre) and its really fun and interesting. Plus the story ain't no slouch, despite being told in a more simple manner than your Final Fantasies or Earthbounds, but after the first boss battle, the cutscene that follows will really make you hate everyone in the first village and feel bad for our protagonist. If anyone else isn't exactly a turn based RPG fan, I highly recommend this title. You get money and XP very quickly and it's more fun than other ROGs I've played. It's like Phantasy Star 4, another one I love, because of its fast pace. Did I mention I love the artwork 8)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:45:13 PM »
Beware with Rockman X3, since as far I know it can't be finished.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:49:18 AM »
+1
The graphic problems in Rockman X3 can't be solved; It's not something like bad ROM dump, just the inner problem of the pirated/unlicensed port itself.

This version of Rockman X3 can't be beaten (Final stages are not implemented, set in the same stage ID as normal stages)

X's armor is that of X1 full armor, with unlimited air dash function (The motion itself is just like real X3 though) Buster is like the one without arm upgrade in X1, but with error graphic palette that I even thought X became Evil X/Maverick and shot evil energy spheres

The character movement sometimes jiggle back and forth, without clear response of real X3

The screen border is grabbed from Sega Saturn version of X3

Bosses have no invincible time unlike real X3 so player can machine gun bosses to death

The heart (Life Max Up) is still present if player re-enter the stage after picking one so players can keep picking Life Max Up until the screen takes some heroine and game crashes

This is really the ball-fucking level pain because the bad porting quality, but it's actually fun to see Mega Man X on drug   :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:03:39 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Beware with Rockman X3, since as far I know it can't be finished.

Hm I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just leave it to the Ouya lol, and leave MMX3 to the Saturn once I pick that port up

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:32:29 AM »
The graphic problems in Rockman X3 can't be solved; It's not something like bad ROM dump, just the inner problem of the pirated/unlicensed port itself.

This version of Rockman X3 can't be beaten (Final stages are not implemented, set in the same stage ID as normal stages)

X's armor is that of X1 full armor, with unlimited air dash function (The motion itself is just like real X3 though) Buster is like the one without arm upgrade in X1, but with error graphic palette that I even thought X became Evil X/Maverick and shot evil energy spheres

The character movement sometimes jiggle back and forth, without clear response of real X3

The screen border is grabbed from Sega Saturn version of X3

Bosses have no invincible time unlike real X3 so player can machine gun bosses to death

The heart (Life Max Up) is still present if player re-enter the stage after picking one so players can keep picking Life Max Up until the screen takes some heroine and game crashes

This is really the ball-fucking level pain because the bad porting quality, but it's actually fun to see Mega Man X on drug   :P

That meakes sense. Doesn't surprise me though since it is just a pirate. I think I had too much faith in it lol. I'll be honest, I'm not very familiar with the X games, but I didn notice some of the things you pointed out, like the unlimited dash and the lack of boss invincibility (can't complain about those lol).

Speaking of the Saturn port, I REALLY wanna pick that up once I get some extra cash, along with X4 for Saturn (seriously, X4 looks fucking beautiful on the Saturn from what I've seen). I'll pick up the original on SNES too of course. I used to have X Collection for PS2 but I've misplaced it about a year ago :'(

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
How about Pier Solar the latest rpg unlicensed game, I played once and liked a lot Maybe someone could make another platform game (my favourite genre) in the future I would love to play a port of Maldita Castilla in my sega genesis 2.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:16 AM »
That meakes sense. Doesn't surprise me though since it is just a pirate. I think I had too much faith in it lol. I'll be honest, I'm not very familiar with the X games, but I didn notice some of the things you pointed out, like the unlimited dash and the lack of boss invincibility (can't complain about those lol).

Speaking of the Saturn port, I REALLY wanna pick that up once I get some extra cash, along with X4 for Saturn (seriously, X4 looks fucking beautiful on the Saturn from what I've seen). I'll pick up the original on SNES too of course. I used to have X Collection for PS2 but I've misplaced it about a year ago :'(

Try Megaman 8 for the saturn too, it's by far superior to the PSX version in many ways

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »

This was the case in Mega Man and Mega Man 2 for the NES. I kinda miss that pummeling the boss to death. It felt more satisfying. Especially when they've pissed you off, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »
Try Megaman 8 for the saturn too, it's by far superior to the PSX version in many ways

Howso?

I thought the psx version was pretty clean.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
There's also Super Bubble Bobble MD which is a pirate original version of Bubble Bobble for the Mega Drive/Genesis (er, obviously lol).

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Bubble_Bobble_MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKmesaQXYDY

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
Howso?

I thought the psx version was pretty clean.

Some different music in certain places, and two optional bosses that are not well hidden, and are from Mega Man 1 and 2 (Wood and Cut Man). Perhaps framerate as well might be a little better on the Saturn.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »

Played the PS1 version on anniversary collection and thought it was really good. If I had to choose between playing it on the PS or Saturn, I'd choose Saturn by default cus of that gamepad.... Love it  8). Plus it's a more obscure platform, so owning it for Saturn would be cooler. I assume it's better graphically and it plays a little better?

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »
I assume it's better graphically and it plays a little better?

You'd hope so, SS' handled 2d games much better for the most part. Street Fighter Alpha series comes to mind for one.

LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
You'd hope so, SS' handled 2d games much better for the most part. Street Fighter Alpha series comes to mind for one.

The Saturn was quite the 2D beast, which is sad that the Sega of America president didn't wanna see a lot of 2D games released over here. There were still 2D games being played. Reading things about the SoA pres at the time, he reminds me of Don Mattrick at the beginning of the XB1's life.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »
The Saturn was quite the 2D beast, which is sad that the Sega of America president didn't wanna see a lot of 2D games released over here. There were still 2D games being played. Reading things about the SoA pres at the time, he reminds me of Don Mattrick at the beginning of the XB1's life.

I miss Sega days.  :-\