Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nightkeep, 2D metroidvania RPG  (Read 19910 times)

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »

Before I start writing about the game, let me quickly introduce myself. Game development has been a big hobby of mine since 2000 and since then, I made a bunch of smaller and larger freeware RPG games (they were never translated to English, though). I also founded a Czech and Slovak RPG maker community, which functions since 2005. It’s called RPG2 Heaven, and since it’s very dear to my heart, I’m also using this name in my work (see the trailer). I’m a huge fan of J-RPG, Castlevania and NES/SNES games, so I often find inspiration for my games in them.

Nightkeep is a 2D metroidvania-like platformer with RPG elements set in a fictional medieval fantasy world, accompanied by an original story. Although the game was supposed to consist of individual levels (stage 1, 2, etc), the project soon overgrew and so, the concept was changed.

The game mechanics are straight from the 90s. With the change of concept, many things were changed and many of them were added, such as a back dash, a slide or a double jump. My main intention is to make a relatively simple game fueled by a compelling story and quests.

By defeating enemies, you receive money and experience points (EXP), which will help you on your journey. The game has a simple levelling system - levelling up partially restores lost health and improves your abilities.

A lot of focus went into power ups, which can permanently increase your max health, etc.  Lastly, I’d like to mention the ability to put gems into your clothing and necklace, which also affect your power and abilities.

I’ve already mentioned the basic mechanics, so now I’ll describe the attacks themselves. In the games, there are only two forms of attack. Your primary attack is a sword, which you’ll have throughout the entire campaign. Nightkeep lacks a classic ‘equip’ option, so there’s really no way for you to let go of it anyway. Luckily, however, it’s not your typical sword, as this one has some sort of magical abilities. Therefore, it can change forms while in battle, depending on what gem is inserted into its handle.

The second attack comes in a form of throwing weapons. Because the main character is a huntress, she has all hunting weapons at her disposal (such as throwing knives, axes or the latest invention of the Goblin workshop). That’d be too easy, however, and so every weapon also has its own level, which can be increased (by fulfilling certain tasks). Not only does a higher level increase the weapon’s attributes, but also changes its visual form.

Since I like RPG games, and have only made RPG games in the past, this game wouldn’t be complete without many different items you can find. Nightkeep has its items divided into 4 sections - consumables, general, relics and gemstones. The game holds over 60 different items you can come across during your playthrough of the campaign. They can be found in chests, secret rooms or in the corpses of your enemies. For example, slugs can drop Slime Glue, spiders can drop Spider Silk and skeletons can outright lose their head sometimes. For now, the items don’t have much of a use, which I intend to fix soon. Also, some of the rarer monsters can even drop mighty relics!

You play as Arietta, a huntress. She’s more of a lone wolf and eve though hunters usually hunt in groups, Arietta has her own approach. The world has its own mythology and history. The story opens up with Arietta arriving in a faraway village Nightkeep. The story is still being worked on and I’d like not to spoil more of it, at least not until the game is released.

For now, here’s a snippet of the prologue:

"...In the event of the Calamity, everyone has their purpose, and making a run for it is as good as committing suicide. It's in times like these, when people stay together, that the hunters are a sword and shield. In the world where people learned to live among monsters, everyone has their place. Whether you're a blacksmith or a hunter, you can't live without each other. Just imagine a hunter without a proper weapon, or a blacksmith running out of business. Both would fall into oblivion..."

In the game, players will progress through quests, be it the main quests or side quests. Since you play as Arietta, which loves rewards, it is a matter of course you’ll recieve  your fair share or every quest you complete (or will you?). An integral part of this is exploration, so do expect some backtracking (not a lot, though). Last but not least, the world also holds many secret rooms and rare monsters. Bosses are a no-brainer, either those, that stand between you and accomplishing your main quest, or those, that you won’t have to fight.

PixelABCD
The entire game is basically being done by me - I do all the pixelart, the programming and design of the entire game, including the story. The game has been in the works since 2015 and it’s just a hobby of mine, so I won’t even dare to guess the release date.

Thomas J. Peters
Recently, I was joined by Thomas J. Peters, who is responsible for the trailer music (https://soundcloud.com/tpcomposer/). If the development goes well, he’ll also be the guy behind the entire Nightkeep soundtrack.

Thomas Schmied
As I’m not a native English speaker, the text is being translated by Thomas Schmied, who’ll also be translating the finished game. Thomas is a volunteer and without his enthusiasm, I wouldn’t be able to continue.

Thank you very much for any form of support if the game interests you! You can follow me and the development over on Twitter as well (https://twitter.com/PixelABCD).

Game can be tracked also with facebook, indiedb and youtube. All links can be found here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914989247

I hope someone will like it here ! Game is for MS windows.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:18:25 PM by Nightale »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:06:17 PM »
This game looks familiar. I think we might have talked about it a while ago though.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
yeah didnt you release a short alpha demo here a while back? I still have it on my desktop!

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
Oh, yes! It was old alpha demo (buried in the offtopic, I moved to fanwork), I improved some core things like jump feel, recoded subweapons, etc. It's more polished in current version and I am adding more stuff into the game. Menus are also overhauled, etc.

for example, even the old menu in this screen didnt make it into that alpha demo of the game.

I am trying to create better experience. I played that demo like month ago too, but I can tell the difference already.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:36:17 AM by Nightale »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:35:12 AM »
Man

Is there somewhere where I can follow your art?
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:38:07 AM »
Man

Gratuitously seconded. That aesthetic and style is beautiful.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:19 AM »
Man

https://twitter.com/PixelABCD is my twitter, https://www.youtube.com/user/Reabezion/ I have some spriting vids here as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »
I'm seriously getting a Castlevania x Skyward Sword (impressionist) vibe here. Especially with statue at the start of the vid. Great work :)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »
Oh, yes! It was old alpha demo

Ah! That was it. Nice to know it hasn't been forgotten since this game of yours interesting  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterBelmont12

• Hunter in Training
    • RichterBelmont12's Let's Play Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
ooooh....I may keep an eye on this project :) Maybe once the game is finished I can Let's Play it on my Channel :D

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »
Hi,
it's been some time since I last posted some info to my castlevania-inspired project. I really enjoyed playing NES and SNES games when I was a kid and I wish to bring 90's mechanics with
SNES vibe project. I quite enjoyed games where you had just few skills and moved towards the end of the stage. While Nightkeep isn't quite so simple, I am trying to keep its mechanics in the similar way, that it resembles NES/SNES play and doesn't overhelm players with hundreds of weapons and mechancis.

My goal is to have realtively simple game driven by story, allowing player to level up and also to upgrade his gear over time. (no I wont translate game myself...)

*Drop of rare monsters will work differently than common drop

*Tutorial area, that's where you learn thath LEFT key moves you to left. lol.

*Nyros Tyren, Sour greybeard

I will have demo ready this november with more info about game itself.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
Looks very nice, I can't wait to give it a try! If you don't mind me asking what software are you using to develop this game?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:51:25 AM by ProjectDread »

Offline Nightale

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
Thanks, glad you like the work so far! Game is made with clickteam fusion.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
Thanks, glad you like the work so far! Game is made with clickteam fusion.

No problem. I myself use Clickteam Fusion, so it's inspiring seeing people out there making awesome looking games like this with it. 

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
So when can I own this?! ;-)

anything