Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Legends on Nintendo Switch Online  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: October 31, 2023, 06:56:19 AM »
They’re putting Legends on Nintendo Switch Online.  I think this is the first Castlevania title up there.  Hopefully this will open the gates for more in the future like Castlevania 64 if we don’t get more collections.  Wonder if it will get a special version.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-switch-online-gets-two-obscure-nes-games-and-a-castlevania-game-boy-game-for-halloween

I'll probably get upset if they start releasing the same old games they've rereleased a dozen times on the service before doing more ones they haven't done before though.  Unless they have some really compelling special versions.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:18:16 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 06:08:36 AM »
Unlike others I have no beef with Sonia Belmont. However, since I own the physical cartridge I have no reason to purchase this on the Switch. What they really need to do is release Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, since it’s locked on the Wii and I haven’t played that game in years

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 01:10:58 AM »
I personally don't own a Switch, but I still have a boxed copy kicking around.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 11:05:40 AM »
I do like the larger screen and not having to dig out my old handheld, plus being able to use save states instead of passwords is nice.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 08:22:33 PM »
Legends was not the strongest of CastleVania showings IMHO; were The Adventure and Revenge previously (re)released this way?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 03:52:58 AM »
Not on NSO but they're on the anniversary collection. I hope we get another collection and Legends is added to that, because I'd hate for it to be stuck on a subscription service, but in the meantime it's cool to see it finally re-released.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 05:04:00 AM »
Actually, the next game we probably need on this service is the game boy Kid Dracula, since that's also never seen a re-release.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 02:34:09 PM »
Where's Castlevania 64?

Why do they keep refusing to rerelease the Nintendo 64 Castlevania games?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 04:55:27 PM »
I can’t answer that but what I do know is, CV64 was an obnoxious game. Not super difficult but just annoying to finish, at least for me.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 05:54:33 PM »
+2
I can’t answer that but what I do know is, CV64 was an obnoxious game. Not super difficult but just annoying to finish, at least for me.
I'm not saying that it's a perfect game, but it got ok reviews when it first came out. Castlevania 64 has a unique atmosphere, and deserves to be made available just as much as the other Castlevania games(they're wayyy better then the Lords of Shit games.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 07:35:43 PM »
That I can agree on. It certainly had better platforming than both Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness (I personally wouldn’t compare it to the Lords of Shadow games, though, for all its flaws LoS1 was still a pretty polished game. MercurySteam had some talented programmers on their team). Despite my opinion a re-release for the Switch would be welcomed, otherwise I can’t imagine playing through it today with those awful N64 controllers

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 05:44:40 PM »
The N64 controls are pretty good all things considered. The one area where it lacked was in camera controls; LOD kinda rectified that by having a free camera, but it's tied to the D-pad and as such, is pretty much useless.

I think Nightdive Studios would be perfect for remastering the N64 Castlevanias as one game. They combined content from the PC and N64 versions of Forsaken, and restored unused content in Shadowman. They also recently made Quake II a much better game than it was originally, with some nice QOL improvements. I think they could do the games justice by featuring all of the unique content from each game, including some regional variations like Gilles de Rais' voice during the final fight in the throne room of the PAL version.

That would be far preferable to me than simply slapping the ROMs on a subscription service.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything