Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime vs Real Life.....  (Read 21640 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
So they decided to make a prequel to ghost in the Shell. Shame about the choice in anime style though as I feel they should try and keep things consistent.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »
Hm... I watched the trailer.

As soon as I saw I.G. Productions, I literally grimaced/winced. Sure enough, same pastels as Tekkonkinkreet. Buuuut... The same things I liked about TKKK and IG's segments in Batman and Matrix were present in that trailer too. IG is actually pretty good with fight scenes and vividly animated sequences. It's a bit more artsy, sure, but I do like their style. It's fluid.

But their stills and slow frames... ugh that artwork is hideous. I prefer Madhouse in that department.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
So you weren't a fan of GitS: SAC, the GitS films or the Patlabor movies (1 & 2) styles? I think IG is a fine studio, since with the eye of Mamoru Oshii at the helm they crank out spectacular visual feasts.

Of course those are mainly feature films, with a huge budget...and um...yeah. SAC was still pretty though! Though totally agree, their animation is fluid and breathtaking. (Though I think Madhouse is just as good in this department) And I might be a little biased since I really do love how they've handled GitS to this point.

Ghost in the Shell (1995) HD TRAILER

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »
It's not IG's fault. It's the art directors. IG wasn't always like they are now. Patlabor and GITS were overly backlit. Their foreground styles were bland and unappealing. The only thing that set them apart where the overlit backlights. Every studio needs to make a name for itself somehow, but unfortunately IG has taken the flat pastel cel shading style and I've never liked it in any of their movies. It does help you focus on the story, though, because there's not much art to look at. But I do think they make some of the best Asian backdrops over all. Ghibli is tops at making nature scenes, IG is tops at urban scenes.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
I'm not sure I follow what you mean with the flat pastels and the older IG films?

I know for me, Sunrise's coloring has changed drastically from 1999 (Turn A Gundam) to 2002 (Gundam Seed) when they switched from hand painted cells to the digitally colored cells and I much prefer the older hand painted stuff.

Turn A Gundam
(click to show/hide)

Gundam Seed (Left HD Remaster, Right Original)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:15:21 AM by TheCruelAngel »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2013, 03:43:51 AM »
Hand painted cells have a sense of nostalgia and the labor of the animators painstakingly painting each cel.
As for the digital ones, it is just the mark of the modern era of good graphics programs and it makes less waste (no more cels, no more paints, etc.)

I suppose some studios love experimenting with all different forms of art using the digital format (it is easier to do it digitally). And some people might like it, some might not.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »
+1
it makes less waste (no more cels, no more paints, etc.)

The downside to that is there's nothing to buy and hang on my wall. Thousands of cels in an episode, sell the hundreds of good ones for $10 - $20 a pop to nerds, someone is losing a nice little side racket now that everything's gone digital. Or I guess they could wind up like a lot of the cels to classic Disney movies, junk in the animator's garages for their kids to glide on like a slip'n slide.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:44:36 AM by Ratty »

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
Not to mention really hot cells sell for bookoo bucks in collector's circles.  ;)

And though I pine for the days of hand coloring, I also understand that digital coloring can really help mesh CG and traditional animation together. And CG does look nice in anime for doing complex machinery to keep a consistent look. Macross Zero comes to mind in that regard...

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
Not to mention really hot cells sell for bookoo bucks in collector's circles.  ;)

And though I pine for the days of hand coloring, I also understand that digital coloring can really help mesh CG and traditional animation together. And CG does look nice in anime for doing complex machinery to keep a consistent look. Macross Zero comes to mind in that regard...

Since there is currently the scarcity of cels, prices would go even higher.  ;D

CG is great for 3d effects not only in mecha but also for other things they might need it for. But yeah, usually for mecha, vehicles, machines, etc. I also think with cg, it makes it easier for toy manufacturers to accurately depict the characters in plastic form.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 05:44:44 AM »
There is one cool anime called Psycho-Pass. The sequel is coming soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho-Pass

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Beato's 2nd "good morning" clip [ENG TRANSLATED]

I didnt wanted to create a topic only to show that and it seems to be the best place for it. Some people will understand it without explanation xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything