Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 195128 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #555 on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Grant... kind of vanishes.

Not really. His after-story in CVIII has him helping with the recovery effort of the people who were devastated by Dracula's forces. While there is nothing for him in the latter games he is nontheless doing his part post CVIII. His main deal is revenge against Dracula for the death of his family and cursing him into a monstrous abomination, but after that is all said and done what does he do? He helps the people who have suffered against Dracula's Iron fist. Grant's story is no-less important then Alucard's, Sypha's, and Trevor's. It just seems that way because we don't hear from him after the game.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
It also seems that way because he doesn't have a lineage of descendants to speak of.
Although I did hear rumors that Hammer was going to be 1. playable in Julius mode (he has assets that later were found and used for Serio's game), and 2. a descendant of Grant's (though this one may have just been fan theory stuff).

Sypha didn't have any 'story' at all until it was dropped that Carrie was her descendant, and later when it's mentioned in passing that Juste has inherited some abilities from the merged ancestry of Belmont/Belnades , and later when AoS came out that Yoko had her last name.  If it weren't for these games, her role in CV mythos would have been even smaller than Grant's.  CVIII ends, Trevor puts his arms around her.  The end.

Alucard would have had even less had it not been for SotN.  They clear the game, he... mopes?  And that's it.

Grant actually does something.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »
Ironically, Grant becoming a national hero suggest he became more famous than the rest of the CV3 cast because he is remembered as a hero by both normal human society and the hidden magical society that knows the truth about Dracula.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:35:32 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #558 on: September 03, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
It's funny because in our universe, the Draculesti clan of Vlad II and Vlad III were in a struggle against the Danesti clan.
The Danesti are in our record books (Dan I, Dan II, Basarab, etc.).  Belnades are not.  Neither is a certain Adrian Fahrentheights fellow.

Basarab II, the last Danesti descendant that would take the throne, would be buried alive by Vlad Dracula III.  AKA Vlad Tepes.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #559 on: September 03, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Grant is a regular dude who took up arms against Dracula as a freedom fighting militia leader after his family was slaughtered by Dracula's army.  We love him because he has an absolutely badass history and character.  He's probably the grittiest playable character in the series.  Even his ridiculously tiny Mirror of Fate cameo was badass.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #560 on: September 03, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »
i think the idea that his popularity or lack of justifies him getting lowkey disowned is fucking stupid.

that being said, given how it seems that Hector is gonna take the supporting cast spotlight, i expect in the BEST scenario Grant being this season's last "boss" (and that's if Carmilla doesn't bite it), hopefully he'll get the spotlight in S3

And honestly, if his last name bothers them so much, use Danesti or don't mention it

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #561 on: September 04, 2018, 01:24:27 AM »

Sypha and Alucard have huge effects on the post-game story. Sypha goes off with Trevor and continues the Belmont and Belnades lineage -- essentially none of the post-Trevor Belmonts exist without her, and depending on exact lineage, Yoko might not either. Alucard later reawakens in Symphony of the Night and becomes a major mover and shaker of the plot. These characters are hugely important -- there's a distinct "before" and "after" in the chronology with them, and cutting either of them produces massive internal inconsistencies in the plot of the series.

Sorry Jorge but I'm going to have to agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

There really is no equating the roles of Alucard and Sypha vs Grant in the slightest as in saying it would be the same removing Alucard and Sypha as removing Grant since the narrative of the series as a whole changes into something completely different with those 2 in comparison to Grant.

True enough the immediate aftermath as well as the rebuilding of Wallachia and Grant being known as a hero does give him importance but nothing nearly as lasting as Syhpa and Alucard.

Sypha's blood mixing with future generations of Belmonts is obviously tied to the gradual growth of the power of the family in later years which is very evident in Juste and by extension Richter who is not that far down the line from Juste (possibly son or grandson) as well as her future Bloodline being carried on within the Belnades Clan who helps the belmont family many years after CV3 and continued to do so all the way up until the final battle with Dracula and even beyond that within the Sorrow series.

Alucard went on to of course play a big role in the series during the events of Symphony of the Night and had he not the belmont line could have ended with Richter who was evil and thus doomed humanity, and lets not forget his efforts later in the series with making the Alucard spear, having a hand in stopping his father for good in the demon Castle wars, and lastly aiding Soma and steering him on the right path during the Sorrow games.

My point is that these 2 went on to have a LASTING effect on the post CV3 continuity and as such they are obviously more important to the narrative than Grant there really legit is no disputing this in my opinion.

All that being said I agree that Grant DEFINITELY should be in the Netflix series since while his story isn't that important to events later in the series they are VERY important to those events during it and leaving him out would not be the right move.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:26:16 AM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: September 13, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
Sypha has taken over the Castlevania Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Castlevania

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #563 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »
They posted most of the snow fight scene on twitter!

https://twitter.com/Castlevania/status/1042867207930142721

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »
Nice fight scene!
I can't wait for the series to start.  ;D

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #565 on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
interesting how they’re showing sotn battles during dracula’s curse times.  makes me wonder if they’ll get to the actual sotn story, or maybe they’re hedging their bets in case they’re not able to get to it, in which case, it’s appreciated.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: September 29, 2018, 07:36:37 AM »
Slogra and Gaibon were in Super Castlevania IV, so they're not native to only SotN.
They're also in Dawn of Sorrow.
And ancient skeletons of both of them can be found in the Condemned Tower Underground (Mine of Judgment), so they've been around for a very, very long time, it seems.
So placing them in Dracula's Curse time isn't out of place.  I hope if/when they put out Pazuzu, he's bigger than them both.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #567 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
Slogra and Gaibon were in Super Castlevania IV, so they're not native to only SotN.
They're also in Dawn of Sorrow.
And ancient skeletons of both of them can be found in the Condemned Tower Underground (Mine of Judgment), so they've been around for a very, very long time, it seems.
So placing them in Dracula's Curse time isn't out of place.  I hope if/when they put out Pazuzu, he's bigger than them both.

They were in Curse of Darkness too.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #568 on: September 29, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
lol I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it.
I only know that game's music, not its longastic stages (except for the first one haha).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #569 on: September 29, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
i consider this animation to be primarily a cv iii and sotn reference, so i’m not expecting boss battles outside these two games to be depicted.  plus gaibon carrying slogra was first done in sotn, so it’s a sotn battle to me.  probabably happens in the beginning of the journey like in sotn instead of the end like in cv iv.  of course it took place in a snowfield instead of the castle, so it’s also its own thing.

hmm, we’ve also hot some curse of darkness (hector), lords of shadows (crest and maybe combat cross in next season, or maybe that was just smash bros, i forget haha), and a possible carmilla reference (not sure which vampiress she was so i’d have to look at her design before deciding which game she’s a reference to).  any other games referenced that i’m missing? 

Tags: