Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I have been afraid of doing this but now I'm following one of my dreams.  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
So yesterday was my registration date for the spring semester at my college. And for a long time I have been very scared of taking japanese since the last language I took was Italian and I did only so-so in that. But then I saw a video that actually helped inspired me and was kind of the final event that pushed me :

(click to show/hide)

Not only that but I've been talking to senpai about it as well and where ever she is I hope she can read this post. Laina senpai where the heck are you I've done it or about to do it!  :'(

Now the reason or rather reason to why I've been wanting to take japanese is not for some reason like I want to watch anime or something like that which might be seen as a weeaboo thing which I really dislike( I have seen what a weeaboo is and it is very, very, annoying hell I'm not even an otaku or something like that I just like what I like and it's not taken to an extreme who knows maybe I am but I sure as hell ain't a weeaboo), but rather it is to visit japan one day and see what it is like over there, make more friends because why the heck not, and not only that, but I want to go wife hunting there one day, and no I am not joking the world is big and if I don't do it then what the is the point of life? I just have to try and experience it and I only have one life so to heck with it. Hell after that is Italy and Belize one day. 

Okay with all of that being said I am very happy that now I have the chance and opportunity to learn something I have been wanting to do for a very long time.

I hear that it is a hard language to learn but heck if I learned italian then I can learn japanese if anything, the fact that I know at least a few people that I can practice japanese with can help me.

Also seeing as I am starting in the spring semester I just want to hear some tips that can help prepare me for the road ahead before class stars it would be very appreciated. If I recall correctly Laina did mention tofugu to help me.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: I have been afraid of doing this but now I'm following one of my dreams.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
Good luck, friend! One thing I've heard that's useful when memorizing kanji--and there's a ton to memorize--are those flashcard things. Either make your own or find an online program to do that :D Also, I STRONGLY recommend getting started on studying sooner rather than later. It's really hard to catch up if you fall behind, but staying a step ahead can give you a great advantage! Find out what your coursebooks are and start hitting them ASAP, even before the semester starts :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:02:46 AM »
but rather it is to visit japan one day and see what it is like over there, make more friends because why the heck not, and not only that, but I want to go wife hunting there one day, and no I am not joking the world is big and if I don't do it then what the is the point of life? I just have to try and experience it and I only have one life so to heck with it. Hell after that is Italy and Belize one day. 

Go for it, man! I have a friend who made the same plan. Recently I met a Japanese fellow who dates a woman from my country. We have one world and it's becoming more united every day. Life should be viewed as an adventure.

"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:06 AM »
If you're serious about studying, I would recommend reviewing/preparing the following every day: vocabulary, grammar, kanji, and conversation. If you're reviewing, half an hour at most should be enough for each category, as long as you do it every day. If you follow that method, I guarantee you'll get good grades.

Also, you probably want to learn how to read/write hiragana and katakana perfectly before you begin. I'm not sure if that is a requirement for the course you're taking, but you might as well do it right now just to get a head start.   

頑張ってください!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:09:49 AM by Nagumo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »
Definitely go for it! Sadly, we live in a society where our school system does not teach us how to be successful, and so very few of us have the courage to follow our dreams because the system has never encouraged or nurtured that ambition. So I wish you all the best of luck and don't give up without a fight.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »
Thank you everybody for the encouragement!

Good luck, friend! One thing I've heard that's useful when memorizing kanji--and there's a ton to memorize--are those flashcard things. Either make your own or find an online program to do that :D Also, I STRONGLY recommend getting started on studying sooner rather than later. It's really hard to catch up if you fall behind, but staying a step ahead can give you a great advantage! Find out what your coursebooks are and start hitting them ASAP, even before the semester starts :)

If you're serious about studying, I would recommend reviewing/preparing the following every day: vocabulary, grammar, kanji, and conversation. If you're reviewing, half an hour at most should be enough for each category, as long as you do it every day. If you follow that method, I guarantee you'll get good grades.

Also, you probably want to learn how to read/write hiragana and katakana perfectly before you begin. I'm not sure if that is a requirement for the course you're taking, but you might as well do it right now just to get a head start.   

頑張ってください!

Actually already doing this with flashcards and I'm going to call my friend probably in a few and see what she says especially for the conversation part and also as of right now I'm working on my vowels and I wish I could type it down but I don't know how.  Also the class I'm taking is japanese 1 so I am going to pick my friends brain on this. Also where do I start on kanji? There is from what I'm reading, 2000 of them. Heck would anyone be up for a typing session one day?

頑張ってください!

If I understand this in a week I think I could consider it a good start.  :)

Go for it, man! I have a friend who made the same plan. Recently I met a Japanese fellow who dates a woman from my country. We have one world and it's becoming more united every day. Life should be viewed as an adventure.

What can I say, I think they are very attractive and I hope that is not a crime and who knows what life can bring?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:11:57 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »
Cool! Good luck and patience is very very important. :) It takes years to learn Japanese.
Also while you're learning the language, learn the culture as well.
Go on a exchange program if you have the chance. That was the time I learned the language best and allowed Japanese to stay stuck in my head. The progress I gauged myself on was when I started dreaming in full Japanese.

Memorize the Hiragana and Katakana charts asap. The Kanjis can be learned simultaneously when learning nouns/verbs.

I've tried self studying Italian for a week and I think I made more progress on that than what I experienced with Japanese. Sad to say, I've put my Italian language on hold due to a lot of Japanese related and academic work load.

頑張ってください! Just means "please do your best!"

anything