Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What will you miss about IGA?  (Read 23130 times)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
In Reply To #15

Hey... say what ya want about Halo Im not a big fan mself but Call of Duty is fuckin awesome. World at War is fantastic

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Mainstream could either go two ways:

1. Attempt to achieve a broader audience, succeed and use all the earnings to fund BETTER games of more quality.

2. Attempt to achieve a broader audience, suceed, then sell out.

The Final Fantasy series has be guity of that in the recent years(all the sucky spinoffs). Besides games, the horror movie genre going mainstream is also responsible(IMO). Horror movies haven't been the same since late 90s, and they've become more plastic. That's one of the reason I kinda took a second take when they used the word "reboot" regardin Lords of Shadow. That little word has been tossed around plenty much in the horror movie genre, and it's probably responsible for the worst aspect of modern horror, "souless remakes". Though, I DO trust Kojima. As long as it doesn't turn out to be a GoW clone and something a WHOLE LOT MORE. If it succeeds in doing things(on a gameplay level) that the GoW series could only dream about, that's all I'm hoping for!

I got a bit off topic. IGA, wow, I'll miss a lot! I really loved the spirit that he brought to the CV series. Classed it up a bit. Made it fancy. His story ideas were very interesting, though they never really rose to the occassion. Loved how he used Ayami Kojima and Michiru Yamane! Love them both(and hope they still have a place in the CV series). IGA was very dedicated to the series, and at least tried to make things fit. I really would've liked to see what he had in store for the Demon Castle War(1999) and that even where the Belmonts lost the abilty to wield the VK. I wonder if we'll ever know?

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
In Reply To #15

Remember the feedback from DXC? Reviewers gave it shit ratings because it was too hard.

Exactly. If DXC was released about 6-10 years ago, it wouldn't have gotten such crappy ratings because games these days just hold your hand through the entire thing. Why do all FPS games other than HALF-LIFE that come out these days let you regenerate health when you stand still? It makes even less sense when this is a feature in a friggin WORLD WAR II GAME!

Anyway, I digress.. I just have no care for anything that's mainstream. This includes World of Warcraft, Hanna Montana (Give me a fucking break) The Jonas Brothers (LOOOOOOOOL) John Cena.. and that god awful Twilight movie/book bullshit. VAMPIRES DONT SPARKLE WHEN THEY GO INTO SUN LIGHT. THEY BURN AND DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH. YOU ASSHOLES RUINING MY CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES.. Erm.. Sorry..

Yeah.. I want CV to stay at its roots. Candle whipping, skeleton throwing action.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: What will you miss about IGA?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »
Hey I bet if Dracula sparkled in the sunlight this new CV would sell a shitload more copies. Think of how the fanbase would spread!

*realizes what the forums would turn into with the twilight-drooling newbies that it would generate*

...Er... nevermind.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
I'll miss IGA's endless defense of the 2D format.

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
his ability to retain that 'Castlevania' feeling regardless of style and setting. Something MercurySteam could definitely use~
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »
In Reply To #21

Nah it wouldn't work because it probably won't have that romantic sci-fi theme or whatever twilight has that makes

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
I'll miss IGA's endless defense of the 2D format.

Ah. That's a good point.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
his ability to retain that 'Castlevania' feeling regardless of style and setting. Something MercurySteam could definitely use~

That remains to be seen.  Its very possible that MercurySteam will nail the Castlevania feel perfectly, we just haven't seen enough of the game yet from the very little the trailer shows.  At least Konami is finally making a 3D Castlevania a priority instead of a low budget item on the back burner, so I am optimistic.  I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see enough footage to convince me that they missed the mark from an atmosphere and feel perspective.  I don't think any of us can say that yet, based on how little we've actually seen.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
Yeah, it kinda is too early regarding how much CV feel LoS will retain. For all we know, they've got some cool gothic areas in store for us! Some demons and zombies and vampires. Though I would've preferred the ogre to look undead(with peeling flesh, exposed ribcage and such). Kinda like how CoD's Minotaur had his raw, exposed spine! Or even DoS's Balore's raw face(for that matter, Gergoth's raw face, too)! Actually, that ogre reminds me of DoS's Balore(minus the S&M headgear and raw face).

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
I think IGA's done more harm than good to the series, but I like his passion for it. I feel like he has good ideas, but they're never fully realized enough and maybe that's his fault and maybe its Konami's.

But either way, it's been nice to have someone repping the series who is actually a FAN, as opposed to some guy who's just collecting a paycheck.

Plus, for all the games IGA's put out that I've been somewhat lukewarm on, DXC was a smash out of the park. he really pulled it together for that one.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 11:42:49 PM »
I think IGA has a great passion for the series, and what he does for it he feels its the best interest for the series. When and if we get a new producer for the series, I doubt they'll put as much effort into the games. Sure he used the same system for the majority of the series, but without him we wouldn't have such a great game the SotN is, probably wouldn't have the fantastic artwork that comes from Ayami Kojima, wouldn't have gotten the Dracula X Chronicles, which is an amazing game, or CV Chronicles. A lot of good has come from him and I think as fans of the series we need to thank him for all he's done for us.
I hope he's still part of the team, and I hope to see a new title from him in the near future
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline belmontsrock

• Belmont Badass
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
Well I have a feeling that there's actually 2 Castlevanias for Next Gen Systems in production. It could be a competition between IGA and Kojima Konami is doing, so then the winner can lead the series. For example Lords of Shadow is being produced by Kojima while IGA is producing the Alucard one that they showed off in the Tokyo Game Show last year I presume.

Simon Belmont and Megaman for the next Super Smash Bros!! Not Snake and Sonic, they're imposters!! Where are the Real Nintendo Classics!! It's them first then the rest!!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
IGA had some big shoes to fill. I respect his efforts at keeping Castlevania afloat. He did a decent job, even if he faltered on some occasions.

IGA has a bad rap mainly because his games weren't good enough in the fan base eyes; but by what standard? By normal standards his games are great. In fact all of IGA's titles were more well made than most of the comparable games of their times. Even to the extent that they beat out some current games.

The main issue with them, is that Castlevania has a legendary reputation for quality in every sense of the word. IGA produced great games, but in some cases they did not live up to the quality Castlevania games are expected to have. This diminishes his image in the fan base.

The CV community is really one of the toughest and most brutal. I have to give him credit for trying to please the fan base, and sticking with the series despite numerous criticisms.

I think the degree that I would miss him would rely on who takes over and fills his shoes. There likely isn't many a man who can take over the reigns and surpass him that easily.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
Iga's main problem is that his games are to consistent.

Tags:

anything