Poll

Are they?

Yes.
3 (37.5%)
Double yes.
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Are the terms "Classicvania" and "Metroidvania" insanely retarded?  (Read 30196 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: Are the terms "Classicvania" and "Metroidvania" insanely retarded?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
+1
I understand the terms are not technically accurate, but they are already installed and they are a short, easy way to refer to something so that everyone will know what you are talking about.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
+2

I have no problem because the terms roll down my tongue really well now castleroid on the other hand does not.  :P

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
+1
Yes, Castleroid feels forced to me.
It's like CastleClassic  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 03:07:01 PM »
+2
Yes, Castleroid feels forced to me.
It's like CastleClassic  :P

yep it's the clarity and brevity that I like in these words saying linear cv or non linear cv does not jive well with me you know.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
So nothing changes, and the terms are here to stay forever, until a 3rd term arrives...
What could it be? FPS-Vania, perhaps?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
GOWvania
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »
If I need to refer to them collectively I usually just say "3Dvanias". But there's so few of them and they're so different really most of the time one only needs to say "The N64 games", "The PS2 games" (even though CoD was released on the Xbox) or "The LoS series".

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
+1
Retrovanias
Neovanias

Metrovania makes it sound like a GTA-Castlevania mash-up. Sleep with Persephone then whip her over and over until you get your coin bag back.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:37:10 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:18 AM »
+1
I have no problems with both terms.
I sometimes use "console name-vanias" like "famicom vanias".
Castleroid is a no-no for me, it sounds like a disease, kinda like hemorrhoids.

How about pre-sotn, post-sotn, and los trilogy?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
How about pre-sotn, post-sotn, and los trilogy?

Castlevania Adventure ReBirith came out after SotN and it plays just like a Classicvania. And we also have both PsX Chronicles and the PSP DXC so the term post-SotN might lead to some confusion with certain games.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
+1
you all are trying to hard for a new name    :P
(click to show/hide)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:45 AM »
Castlevania Adventure ReBirith came out after SotN and it plays just like a Classicvania. And we also have both PsX Chronicles and the PSP DXC so the term post-SotN might lead to some confusion with certain games.

But the games you have mentioned are remakes...  :-\
Well, yeah, it would lead to confusion for people who are not used to the massive timeline of releases for this series.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
They are remakes, yes. But they did come out after SotN.  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
Quite the heated discussion about something as mundane as Castlevania nomenclature.
Personally, I've never liked the "Metroidvania" term. It feels too derivative: I'd like to think of Castlevania as its own unique genre, and less as a stolen idea from another game... I've forced myself to use "Symphovania" when I write -- it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it does the job.
And ultimately, that's all that's really important: it doesn't matter if you write "castleroid" or "GOWvania", as long as you're understood.

And for the record: how about: "Castlevania"?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »
Why is this a problem, exactly? Have we really run out of things to discuss as a board that THIS is what we come to?

This thread would make more sense (albeit's extremely lacking in tact as far as the tone of the OP and title go) if the terms were still new. As it is, they're so far ingrained and so well-known and used that changing them would do absolutely nothing but derail things further. It'd be like saying the color green should be changed because you don't like that name, or came up with something you like better.

If you want to use a different term, use it. Just don't expect everyone to immediately understand what you're talking about.

This thread's a little pointless because the above is really the only solution that can happen. And the poll's fucking pointless. Don't ask a question if you don't plan on including "no" as an option.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:48:42 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags:

anything