Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 449881 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 08:24:06 PM »
The whole thing just sounds incredible so far!  Looking forward to hearing more!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
I... I can make it a game for you that'll fail within the first month
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »
I... I can make it a game for you that'll fail within the first month

Care to elaborate?
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »
I've been learning Unity 2d for the past few months, and I've gotten pretty good at platforming physics. I'm planning on making a Raiden type shmup called Space: Pew Pew.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
Space: Pew Pew.

LOL! Now there's a title that says what the game's about.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 01:03:40 AM »
I've been learning Unity 2d for the past few months, and I've gotten pretty good at platforming physics. I'm planning on making a Raiden type shmup called Space: Pew Pew.

Well, who knows? If someone (including you) wished to try his hand at creating a game from what I'm doing, I'll gladly work with them (slowly, but surely). Also, I've expressed my preferences on the first post, but I'd be happy to work on something much more simple than a metroidvania. (Simple doesn't mean "bad", mind you!)

Also, dudes, I added some character information to my first post. It includes info for the main protagonists and some of the supporting cast, which two of them are original characters. I'll remind you, once again, that it might be changed as I write the story. I'll also say that many facts were omitted so to not spoil the whole thing before I have laid the complete framework of "factoids" to consider before reading the story.

I'll add cute little sprites to each of them in time ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:06:47 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
Hehe, I'm still holding to that idea that CVD people could make a cool game together. ^^

Very nice descriptions to characters. Your ideas are actually very close to what I expected the 1999 cast to be. Is the Hakuba priest Mina's father or grandfather? He seems to be a little old to be her father though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:09:43 AM by Chernabogue »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 01:19:42 AM »
Hehe, I'm still holding to that idea that CVD people could make a cool game together. ^^

Very nice descriptions to characters. Your ideas are actually very close to what I expected the 1999 cast to be. Is the Hakuba priest Mina's father or grandfather? He seems to be a little old to be her father though.

The CV fanbase actually "developed its own canon", and that's for you to see that IGA left MANY clues about the event (and how people over here can really think outside the box).

What I'm posting here actually existed in my head (in a simpler form, of course) before I even started coming to the forums or visiting the wiki. I was surprised to know that many of the things I imagined (which I fancied myself so smart for "discovering alone") were already "discovered". Most of these things are actually very easy to figure out, as the people over here have proved time and time again. Others are quite complicated to make out, and again people over here have done it.

I've spent countless hours reading posts on this forum from waaaaaay back, and reading and re-reading the game scripts over and over to see if certain things actually made sense. I wanted to start this before on this Dungeon, but I was very inseccure. People here, even though thinking alike in a broader sense about the DCW, in the details they have sometimes WILDLY different perspectives. I felt that I would be swallowed whole for being a "castlevania scrub, shoo shoo!". But I grew to feel that this is a warm community.

I actually gave the characters quite a broad description before I start twisting the whole thing with my own logic here and there :p

The Hakuba Priest is her grandfather. I did a little research and found out that you have to be quite a respected priest to be able to conduct big ceremonies, and for one to earn such respect in Japan, it takes time. Thus I surmise that the priest would need to be quite old, and therefore, not Mina's father. If I'm not mistaken, the proper name for a ceremony-conducting priest is "Kannushi". Something like an experienced medium that can form contact with deities (which is, on this eclipse's case, Amaterasu)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:20:35 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 02:08:51 AM »
Well, that's a great thing you decided to show all the ideas you have in your head. I'm very impatient to see how things will develop. :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
It's true that we all have a general idea of the DCW and that each of us has our of personal views about it at the same time. Take my idea for instance; I had always imagined that the start of the DCW game would be fast-paced with quite a bit of action going on. Numerous amounts of soldiers and monsters fighting it out, not just in the foreground but also in the background as well. Kinda like the first stage in Contra III where all hell is breaking lose and you have aircraft coming in and bombing the hell out of the place. And the gameplay would be in a classicvania style as that allows for a more fast-paced play-through. But once you get into Casltevania itself things slow down as the war itself is not present in the castle. And you'd have the Metroidvania segment take place here as well as that seems to be the best format for a deep, yet steadily progressing story.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
It's true that we all have a general idea of the DCW and that each of us has our of personal views about it at the same time. Take my idea for instance; I had always imagined that the start of the DCW game would be fast-paced with quite a bit of action going on. Numerous amounts of soldiers and monsters fighting it out, not just in the foreground but also in the background as well. Kinda like the first stage in Contra III where all hell is breaking lose and you have aircraft coming in and bombing the hell out of the place. And the gameplay would be in a classicvania style as that allows for a more fast-paced play-through. But once you get into Casltevania itself things slow down as the war itself is not present in the castle. And you'd have the Metroidvania segment take place here as well as that seems to be the best format for a deep, yet steadily progressing story.

Your idea is... SCARILY similar to mine, which I have discussed with Donoffrio a long time ago.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:00:57 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Your idea is... SCARILY similar to mine, which I have discussed with Donoffrio a long time ago.

LOL! In my defense I've not heard your conversation between you and him. It's just how I've always imagined it  :)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 02:23:26 AM »
Added character sprites to the protagonist's descriptionsand moved them to the second post for the sake of tidyness. The black background ruins the pose for some of them (like Julius) and these are conceptual sprites anyway. I'll be improving them, but for now that's it :)

Added one more credit, to Donoffrio.

You'll notice Alucard's drastic change from his classic or Genya look: This is because he can't use his classic armor, and can't be Genya yet, as he only turns into Genya Arikado AFTER 1999, when he joins the japanese national security agency to keep an eye on Japan. However, he already does use his Genya black hair.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:35:26 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »
As always, very nice sprite work!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 03:29:20 AM »
Quick, declare them closed source before someone swoops in and steals themuses them without permission! :V

Also, feel free to not answer if this is too spoileriffic, but is ???? from a known bloodline?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything