Poll

What game in the Castlevania franchise is the worst?

Castlevania
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest
3 (2.7%)
The Castlevania Adventure
17 (15.3%)
Dracula's Curse
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
1 (0.9%)
Belmont's Revenge
1 (0.9%)
Rondo of Blood
1 (0.9%)
Bloodlines
0 (0%)
Dracula X
1 (0.9%)
Symphony of the Night
5 (4.5%)
Legends
11 (9.9%)
Castlevania 64
14 (12.6%)
Legacy of Darkness
3 (2.7%)
Chronicles
0 (0%)
Circle of the Moon
4 (3.6%)
Harmony of Dissonance
5 (4.5%)
Aria of Sorrow
0 (0%)
Lament of Innocence
3 (2.7%)
Dawn of Sorrow
2 (1.8%)
Curse of Darkness
19 (17.1%)
Portrait of Ruin
4 (3.6%)
Dracula X Rondo of Blood Remake
2 (1.8%)
Order of Ecclesia
3 (2.7%)
The Adventure Rebirth
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows
12 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst Game in Series  (Read 52073 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
Why isn't Haunted Castle or MSX Vampire Killer in here? I have to vote for CV64. Simply put if you don't use Carrie then you jump like a Fairy (Reinhardt). Visually this game has Ricketts.  It's not a bad game it's just drawn up that way. How Curse of Darkness is even close to being the worst game is baffling to me. It's not a great game by any stretch but it's still light years ahead of this pile of throw up. You disgust me!I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm not gonna hurt you.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
I love CV64. :P And I frankly find it absurd that you think COD is better.

There. We're even. :o
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
COD was way better. CV64 gets my vote. Atleast COD was playable.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
CV64 actually attempts to resemble a Castlevania game. COD and LOI have no relation whatsoever. It's my main criticism of the upcoming Lords of Shadow as well. Why did Castlevania turn into a hack and slash series?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
CV64 actually attempts to resemble a Castlevania game. COD and LOI have no relation whatsoever. It's my main criticism of the upcoming Lords of Shadow as well. Why did Castlevania turn into a hack and slash series?

I would also like to know why CV was turned into hack and slash. It should always have equal parts of action, platforming and exploration, not just constant fighting
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Amduscias

• Hunter in Tanning 8D !!
  • Hunter in Training
  • Wuhhzaaa
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »
I love 64! I understand bitching about glitches, but what 3D game back then didn't, I've never had any problems with any controls, the music is fantastic and really sets the mood. The level design is fun and I felt it was a great translation from the earlier 2D titles.  I love that game, it's in my top 5 CV games.

But yes, I will give you the motorcycle skeletons. They are completely awful!

Dont say a thing about the motorcycle Skeleton!!! they are cool lol also they provide more ideas about Dracula and his pact with devil to provide to him and his minions some technology from the hell -the ideas of Renon and all that-

Well now imo the worst its Order of Shadows, but i would'nt count it as a game since it sux too much, so the next in the list is HoD, then is Shin Megami Pokevania (Curse of Dragness)

Why? HoD has awful sprite art for mid-smalls items, monsters, characters, bad music quality (not complaining about composition because some themes are cool) and the lv50+ almost impossible to level up... oh i almost forgot, too easy and the replay is really bad :S since u get the 200% of map and that, there is no much stuff to do except getting the tons of armors that are pretty useless

Well about CoD... the only thing of Castlevania on that game is the fact that it has a Dracula, an sad extra Belmont mode and a Castle... the rest is just a game with another white haired guy
=============================================

Fill this space with some nice message

=============================================

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
Oh don't stop there, sir. Remember, Curse of Darkness had EVERY opportunity to improve upon and refine all of the shortcomings that plagued LoI (an altogether decent game in the series regardless). There was ample time and great resources at Konami's disposal to make a far better game for the next gen consoles the second time around. - - And CoD took multiple steps back. Terrible layout, flat graphics, forgettable music, chintzier play control, thinner story, lame characters, and a completely unoriginal gimmick (the ID system). People can  slam the N 64 games and even the Game Boy titles for all of the afore mentioned reasons. The big difference is, at least those games were trying. CoD, when all's said and done, didn't even attempt to improve upon its experimental predecessor. That is just sad. The fact that it was meant to be a sequel to CV III of all things and ended up being a totally unrelated and thoroughly pointless gaiden outing in the grand scheme of things is simply the shit icing on the bland, stale lump of instant cake mix that is the final product.

As long as I'm chiming in here, let me just say that HoD was pretty forgettable as a whole, though fun for being a straight-up old school whip-toting romp through the castle. But the only reason it comes in as any real kind of failure is because, ultimately, all it really was attempting to do was emulate Symphony of the Night on a handheld. . . . And Circle of the friggin' Moon did a better job of that.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 02:57:39 AM »
I know what my least favorites are, but I don't think they're the worst.

I hated CoD, replayed it (knowing full well what I was getting into), ended up liking it, then got really sick of it before I beat it again. It's one of the weaker games of the series, but not the worst.

I hated Adventure the first time, but then played that one again, too, and now I can appreciate it. Sure, it's not great, but I think it's more frustration than poor quality.

I'd say the worst one is probably Haunted Castle. I love that game, probably just because I never knew it existed as a kid, and the game is such a weird thing to me, but man, it's terrible. The music is great, but the game sucks in every other way. The machine should give you four quarters back for every one you put in.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Worst Game in Series
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
Kinda surprised to see the 2 biggest vote-getters are the N64 games. I thought for sure the CV Adventure would be voted worst game by a landslide.
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

sepet368

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
Normally it would be a tough call for me to pick between Haunted Castle and Curse of Darkness...but since Haunted Castle isn't an option, that simplifies things.  Well, I probably would have gone with CoD anyway.  As bad as the arcade game was, at least the level design wasn't so bad it made me want to gouge out my eyes.

Why did Castlevania turn into a hack and slash series?

Because early last decade many game companies apparently realized that they could drastically cut production time and costs by having practically non-existent stages.  And gamers/reviewers who look no further than the core gameplay mechanics would still praise their games based on the combat system alone, even if the games might as well have been taking place in a gigantic black void for all the effort they put into the areas.  Of course, given how well the PS2 games were received by fans, it doesn't seem as if the Castlevania series is able to get away with that.  Probably due to the fact that most of the early games in the series had superb level design.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
I voted Order of Shadows, it's barely a game.

Worst, eh?  Well, I think we need a better definition of "Worst", but here are my categories.

Worst (Play Control, alternate versions COUNTED), in no particular order:

-Castlevania (Amiga) - As you can see, Simon once again has very little control options, and most enemies move much much faster than he does.  There's also screen-scrolling issues.

Yeah but I love that game. The music is so mesmerizing and the coloring is so unique.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:40:58 AM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
a
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline TreasuryRoom1984

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness should just be considerd one because they are basically the same game!

SimonTheBarbarian

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
I don't know, the more I play Curse of Darkness the more I can understand people's gripe about it. When you think about how late in the franchise Curse of Darkness is, they did have a lot of opportunities to improve the flaws of previous titles, like how Symphony of the night took the style of Simon's Quest and really improved it. It does kind of bother me that castlevania has turned into a hack n' slash sort of series. For a 3D game I think castlevania should have resembled more of the medievil series especially for levels and the atmosphere. The music was great too and haunting. 

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
It's always hard for me to pick favorites and least favorites. I'm going with a tie between Adventure and CoD. Adventure was way too slow and glitchy to be much fun. CoD had more in common with Final Fight than with Castlevania. Now don't get me wrong, Final Fight has a place near and dear to my heart, but I expect something different from Castlevania. Also, the fact that they completely ignored complaints about the dull level design in LoI and, in turn, artificially lengthened the game by tripling the amount of boring hallways you needed to traverse, felt almost like a deliberate dickslap. I know, IGA has budget issues and all, but quality >>>> quantity.

Tags:

anything