Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Harmony of Despair (The next Castlevania game?)  (Read 688298 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: Harmony of Despair (The next Castlevania game?)
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »
hard to believe that Harmony of Dissonance was the only Metroidvania that Iga developed where the main character always uses the Vampire Killer whip.  i would like another.  i don't need any of those other weapons.  if you're going to throw in another kind of weapon, let it be because i'm switching characters.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »
hard to believe that Harmony of Dissonance was the only Metroidvania that Iga developed where the main character always uses the Vampire Killer whip.  i would like another.  i don't need any of those other weapons.  if you're going to throw in another kind of weapon, let it be because i'm switching characters.

Maybe they could go back to the whip upgrades from the older games instead and build upon that - You start with the leather whip, and it evolves into a short chain whip when you find the next upgrade, then a long chain whip, and then finally a flame whip or something which would essentially be THE vampire killer. No need to equip new weapons. For a metroidvania they should probably make it so you wouldn't get the best upgrade until late in the game, instead of having upgrades being randomly given to you from candles.. dunno.

It seems that vgchartz.com has already listed this as a DS game. Dunno why, maybe they know something. At the same time, they couldn't even get the name right... "Harmoy"...
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=44736&region=All
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:50:51 AM by shelverton. »

Online crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
Wasn't a fanhack called Orchestra of Despair?

I agree, HoD woulda been more awesome if it had Juste starting with the leather whip, then receiving upgrades as the game progressed.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2010, 09:17:33 AM »
Harmony of Despair?
It sounds a lot like a fan hack or something, not very creative.... But the name isn't that important. I hope this is a new DS game, not a 3DS launch title. Also, I love Juste. He's hot and his game is hot too. If this is a sequel I'm all for it. If it has nothing to do with Juste (or Maxim) I seriously think they should change the name cause it's too similar. They should probably change it regardless..

If this turns out to be a cellphone game, I'm just not interested anymore. I love Castlevania, but I refuse to play on my cell phone. It blows. Maybe if I had an iPhone or something... But nah, I'd still prefer the DS.
I agree.  CV is meant to be played on consoles and/or hand-held systems.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »
One of these hints is a jokingly question to one of the writers, asking him "who he is going to frighten with that mirror, whip and garlic". I think they are going to cover something Castlevania related next issue and it might be this supposed Castlevania game. It would make sense since this name is trademarked in Europe, so it might be developed somewhere in Europe. It could also be a coverage of LoS but then I wonder what they meant with the mirror.

The mirror is another reference to vampires, since they don't have any reflection in mirrors in some of the mythology.  I think there was a scene like that in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's not really used in the CV series, but then, garlic isn't used much either.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
It seems that vgchartz.com has already listed this as a DS game. Dunno why, maybe they know something. At the same time, they couldn't even get the name right... "Harmoy"...
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=44736&region=All

I spotted that the game also has a CERO rating. This might very well be a IGA game. And then there is the Castlevania title but is that reliable?   

Online crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
The mirror is another reference to vampires, since they don't have any reflection in mirrors in some of the mythology.  I think there was a scene like that in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's not really used in the CV series, but then, garlic isn't used much either.

It was used in DoS, when you walk up to a mirror as Alucard, he has no reflection! Thought that was pretty cool.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2010, 11:15:35 AM »
I spotted that the game also has a CERO rating. This might very well be a IGA game. And then there is the Castlevania title but is that reliable?   

I have no idea. I doubt that vgchartz knows more than the rest of us, but it would be pretty stupid of them to just make this one up. I definitely think this is a new Castlevania, but to actually say it's on the DS? It sounds very likely, but it could easily be a downloadable game for WiiWare or something. Though Konami would probably be smart to release yet another Metroidvania on the DS. The handheld games did sell reasonably well and I guess it would be cheap to just use the same engine and recycle some sprites again. That way it doesn't really matter if the game only sell 200 000 copies worldwide, which I'm confident it would. It would be somewhat profitable anyway, I guess. Innovative? Not really. Will I enjoy it? Most likely  8)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
AoS sequel is DoS. HoD sequel is HoD?

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
The correct way to follow up Harmony of Dissonance would be to call it *something* of Dissonance, I think. Just like the Sorrow games are connected by Sorrow, not the Aria part.

EDIT: Nah, I changed my mind. But "Despair" shouldn't be there. If it really is a sequel to HoD they should call it...dunno.. Harmony of Turmoil? Harmony of Chaos? Dunno.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:29:11 AM by shelverton. »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
Harmony of Interior Design

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »
Harmony of Interior Design

im really diggin' all the furniture jokes. I completely forgot about that aspect. Imagine Dracula walking through the castle after he kills you and just finding that room about being all "what the fuck?"
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
It was used in DoS, when you walk up to a mirror as Alucard, he has no reflection! Thought that was pretty cool.
Yes!  I forgot all about that.  Pretty fantastic attention to detail.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
Yes!  I forgot all about that.  Pretty fantastic attention to detail.

Are you serious!? *Pop's in DoS, goes to a mirror, see's Alucard with no reflection*

Well my mind has been blown.

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »
I'm excited. I hope this turns out to be a sequel for Juste and Maxim. Aside from Juste's outfit, I liked his character mostly because he's a full-fledged Belmont who stars in a Metroid-style Castlevania game, uses the Vampire Killer, and he uses a nice set of magic abilities. Harmony had the most potential to me to become something better than how it turned out. I enjoyed it and still pop it in my (Original) DS from time to time. The only thing that bugged me was the music.
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Tags:

anything