Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of Shadow sequel is coming out this year, hinted by David Cox over twitter  (Read 197734 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
What I would like to see is something that was done I remember seeing in CV2 and CV64/LoD.  And that is have a continuous clock going showing the passing hours in the game and have the game reflect those times of day.  For example dawn would be at 6am and as the hours pass the sun would move across the sky until sunset and then the moon will come out and move across the sky until dawn.  The enemies you face would be determined by the area and time of day.  For example, noctunal enemies would only appear during night hours and in places that sunlight doesn't reach.  Plus, like in CV2, enemies that are out during both day and night get a buff during nighttime hours.

I think this is something that should have been used more often and perfected in the series.  It prevents the environment from becoming stale and forces you to adjust to changes as time passes.  This assumes that the protagonist is a good guy.  Then again, if we are as Gabriel as a vampire, this idea could be applied to him in that he would be weaker during  the day and possibly take damage if he wonders into direct sunlight.  This would add a degree of difficulty that would require skill to overcome.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Well, both Crow's Pass(Malphas' tower specifically) and the Land of Vampires in LoS showed that Cox and Co. are certainly capable of AMAZING gothic Castlevania imagery. The inside of the castle was a tad bit too icy for my tastes, but it still rocked. And I dug the snowyness nonetheless. Heres hoping the Sequel will have more of that. I liked LoS for what it was. And I loved the land of the Lycans, but I would certainly welcome more Gothic atmosphere.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
These guys.

If I remember correctly they would burrow underground and grab your legs holding you down and their heads would fly around and hit you.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
These guys.

If I remember correctly they would burrow underground and grab your legs holding you down and their heads would fly around and hit you.
Yes.  They would pop up from the ground, take their heads off which would fly at you.  Once they are headless, they burrow underground again and pop up to grab you when you least expect it.  They are always in groups.

Well, both Crow's Pass(Malphas' tower specifically) and the Land of Vampires in LoS showed that Cox and Co. are certainly capable of AMAZING gothic Castlevania imagery. The inside of the castle was a tad bit too icy for my tastes, but it still rocked. And I dug the snowyness nonetheless. Heres hoping the Sequel will have more of that. I liked LoS for what it was. And I loved the land of the Lycans, but I would certainly welcome more Gothic atmosphere.
I agree with this.  I don't like how most of the castle was frozen. Since when is the castle in CV in a place with an endless winter?  It doesn't look good IMO.  The Crow's pass (the two stages in chapter 4) just oozed CV.  It's not surprising that those are my favorite stages of the game.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
It's spirit(time period was irrelevent, considering CV, as a whole, pretty much oozed the "feel", despite being set in middle ages or the near future),
On note: the fact that it was future was barely presented in AOS / DOS. It was basically the same annoying castle as always and in DOS it had bland design. The only things form the future were some weapons and teleports in DOS.
And pretty many Castlevania games had sunlit / daylight locations. So, it's not "deal-breaker" for me.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I don't know if I can think of a castle as annoying since

you know

the game is called Castlevania

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
^^^Totally agree. That comment almost sounded like flamebait.

Back to LoS, I think the castle was my favorite part of the game. Although I kinda agree with you guys who said the snow seemed kind of weird, I really liked the look and feel of the castle overall. Though it would've been cool to see some more supernatural oddities like in some of the other games.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:23:30 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I agree with this.  I don't like how most of the castle was frozen. Since when is the castle in CV in a place with an endless winter?  It doesn't look good IMO.  The Crow's pass (the two stages in chapter 4) just oozed CV.  It's not surprising that those are my favorite stages of the game.

I didn't mind the perpetual Winter and the snow, just the way that the entire castle was filled with Ice.

Also, the Abbey interiors felt very much traditional Castlevania. like a Castlevania Library
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I hope Gabriel/Dracula did the smart thing and used his new dark powers to relocate the entire castle to a warmer place, like at the edge of a high cliff near a lake like it's always been convieniently placed.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

I cheered aloud when these guys first popped up. MORE OF THIS CREEPINESS PLZ

That's kinda like why I'd actually like to see a LoS sequel set in the 1800s. They'll be FORCED to ditch the stereotypical medieval fantasy and go a little towards reclaiming that "spooky" feel by adopting the setting of Stoker's Dracula, as well as other 19th century horror tales.

Haha, that's what you think! "It was an average day in 1800s Transylvania like any other... until suddenly... a multidimensional portal pops up, swarming the countryside with ogres, goblins, elves, wargs, bald space marines, and most importantly, trolls! Their mysterious leader, the Goblin King Ugh-Thar, claims the land as his own, spreading his grey, brown, and green misery throughout the besieged land."

I think some things could've done a world of difference. Next game, limit the day, or just kill it altogether. Perpetual night. LoS was too sunlit. For the CV series, that's almost ALIEN!!

Actually, if they could make it non-linear with a day/night system like Simon's Quest, especially with those graphics, that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:25:08 PM by Munchy »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
I don't know if I can think of a castle as annoying since
you know
the game is called Castlevania
And that's why every single game should have Castle and nothing beside it... :rollseyes:
Open your mind!! Castlevania could be much more than about frigging Castle all the time. Castle should be the part of the game in some capacity, but its not neccesary that it should be the centerpiece of the game every single time.
Leaving traditions sometimes is a good thing.

Of course old fans (or people who consider themselves "TruE / HRadcore fans" probably will call this opinion a flamebait, because they couldn't accept that glorious tradition could be broken (though it was broken already in the second game in the series)).  :)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I think you should stop arguing from the standpoint that everything that is different is not accepted by fans who don't like where the series is currently heading, and instead accept that they don't like it because they think it doesn't work rather than because it's different. If something different and you don't like you obviously don't like it because you think it sucks, not because it is different. That entire line of reasoning doesn't make sense. It's like your only arguing gimmick and it's god-awful.                     

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I want to hradcore, but my mom won't let me.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Yeah, I wish Lords didn't have a castle, to be honest. Wow, this is a garden and this is a kitchen. You can't trick me, Konami. It's still a goddamn' medieval castle. I think Lords 2 should ditch the castle and get more levels inspired by Rygar. Or at least the Lords Epilogue Game Castle should feature a shopping mall with zombies. That'd be modern. It'll be symbolic like Carina in Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey. Or I guess, we should have the modern equivalent of a castle. Gabriel can sit on office chairs and stuff in an underground bunker like in those James Bands movies.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:35:08 AM by thernz »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
well I think they should keep it simple & call the sequel "Castlevania 2: Gabriel's Quest," and have it be a mirror version of that game #winning

I want to hradcore, but my mom won't let me.

LOL

Tags:

anything