Poll

Why do you hate LoS?

Uses too much stuff from GoW, SotC, etc.
9 (22%)
Plot (Gabriel becomes Dracula, etc.)
5 (12.2%)
Music (Different from what the series is known for)
6 (14.6%)
Bestiary (Monsters and bosses not like in IGA's timeline)
1 (2.4%)
Other. Explain or propose in topic.
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS: Why do some fans hate it?  (Read 81485 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Leon praying whilst grasping the Holy Whip is way more fitting & mysterious

funny enough, that was only the US box art.

The Japanese and EU box arts were a more typical "action" type of pic.

That said I do love the US cover.

But damn, the "alternate" LoS cover WAS so much better than what the west got as the default version.

I also loved the artwork in the game for the character and bestiary entries. And I found the little animations of Gabe's moves to be amusing too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:27:35 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
For my part I don't hate the game per se either. What I hate is the shameless slapping on of the Castlevania name to something that isn't trying to be a castlevania game. The point of this game on Konami's part was to try to use an existing IP get a piece of the action pie they've been slowly loosing a grip on. All the fan service in this game is exactly that, fan service. And it was poorly executed anyway. The game has very little to make it scream castlevania. If you take out all the references and give it to one of the members of Konami's coveted "wider audience" they aren't going to say "hey this kinda reminds me of Castlevania". Because the audience Konami is trying to attract isn't supposedly familiar with the old timeline that in itself nullifies the reasoning for using an existing IP. At best by using castlevania's name in this way will damage the company's relationship with at least part of their fan base. By creating a new IP you don't run this risk. So I guess what you could say I hate is the corporate concept behind the entire endeavor and the rushed PR fuckery that went on when it was realized that a big portion of the fan base didn't like this new direction. The bottom line then is that there's no reason this couldn't have been a new IP, and I hate that because it's lazy.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
The game has very little to make it scream castlevania.
The whole second half of the game after Gabriel passes through Crow's Pass screams Castlevania to me. Pretty hard. It was for a bit there, almost like some sort of a dream Castlevania game. Gothic environments with nightmarish monsters, which spew a lot of blood when you kill them. Filling both the Gothic and Horror quotas.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:59:41 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline VampirehunterB

• Vampire Hunter
  • A Genuine Castlevania fan..
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »
man I miss the ayami kojima art..

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
I miss Yamane.

The post Yamane Vania OST's are rather weak.

Imagine if they teamed Yamane with Oscar Arujo?

That'd be an epic music team up right there.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:44:39 PM by Flame »

Offline Raxivace

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 01:57:46 AM »
I started it for the first time recently, and am currently enjoying it.

It's not the most Castlevania-y Castlevania game, but I'm having fun. If the sequel adds in more CVish elements, that would be perfect. Though I'm okay with this being a little different in nature, since this game is supposed to be pre-Dracula from what I understand.
Who are you and why are you reading my signature?

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
the combat itself wasn't all that "fun" though.

Beware then. You walk a dangerous road. I remember seeing God of War getting 10/10s and the like everywhere and deciding to try it, finding it ok, but having the same feeling of the combat itself not being all that "fun." Then I ended up gradually growing to dislike it years down the road after trying to get through God of War 2 and not really feeling compelled to just because the combat is the main activity--if I don't find the main activity that fun it seems somewhat pointless to play it despite the graphics, story, music, atmosphere, etc. I could get all that from a Let's Play of the game and some possibly amusing commentary as well, but the fun is what makes you want to play it yourself.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
Beware then. You walk a dangerous road. I remember seeing God of War getting 10/10s and the like everywhere and deciding to try it, finding it ok, but having the same feeling of the combat itself not being all that "fun." Then I ended up gradually growing to dislike it years down the road after trying to get through God of War 2 and not really feeling compelled to just because the combat is the main activity--if I don't find the main activity that fun it seems somewhat pointless to play it despite the graphics, story, music, atmosphere, etc. I could get all that from a Let's Play of the game and some possibly amusing commentary as well, but the fun is what makes you want to play it yourself.

Absolutely! That's should be the main focus of any game. Having the main activity be fun. Too many developers forget this in favor of pretty visuals or gimmicks.
"Stuff and things."

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
I'm a hardcore CV fan, I honestly don't hate it and am actually enjoying it. Perhaps I enjoy the story more because of the fact I can relate with Gabriel in a sense (the calm/angry type) but when it comes down to the actual game play itself? The QTEs didn't really bother me as much because they are designed to force you to pay attention (this actually helps with the games combat mechanics.) My only true issue is that it wasn't the atmosphere, the monster choices or anything of that nature...

My only issue is the difficulty and level design. Simply put it, the layout of each level was excellent - but so much more could have been done. What I mean this is that since Level 1 the entire level should of been attacking us. Zombies, objects being thrown at you (poltrigiest...etc.) and we should of been wanting to break our PS3/360 controllers when we got to the third level.

Puzzle elements? What puzzle elements? They were so simple that it didn't really give me the "Hmm..." feeling. It was like they had been designed for a 10 year old ADD/ADHD kid. Sorry, when someone tells me puzzles are involved, I am expecting something of Myst or Silent Hill hard mode on crack kinda thing, I like the action, but also adding in something that actually forces you to think? Even better.

The platforming bored the hell out of it - I was expecting very technical and harsh things to over come (Which I expect from a CV game) such as say, the use of Malphas' crows or the bats? They could have been used as an attempt to knock you down in to a pit. What about spikes, flame traps and movable platforms? Oh wait, we didn't see this until the Music Box Level and the DLC. What happen to all of that? I'm sorry but Cox as a producer who was apparently a CV "Fan"  didn't obviously pay the 'ef attention to the platforming elements that we have all grown up on.

Music? I loved the OST and all - but yeah I do agree a lot of tracks where over used. It annoyed the crap out of me at times because having to hear a catchy tune then having to hear it 50 times later got old very quick. But this is just me throwing my 2 cents in.

Offline Raxivace

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
I hope Cox includes a lot of those elements in the sequel.

I really hope LoS 2 is a genuinely better sequel, and not just a carbon copy of LoS.
Who are you and why are you reading my signature?

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
Dracula being an emo wreck seeking to die instead of being an affably evil relentless antagonist etc.
Hm...wasn't Mathias an emo-wreck too?
And we didn't see almost nothing of Dracula-Gabriel so how relentless he is, is up in the air.
But I'd guess it didn't stop people from making such statements.  :rollseyes:

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
I'm a fan and don't hate it.
I guess I'm not hardcore enough.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
I'm a fan and don't hate it.

This

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
Hm...wasn't Mathias an emo-wreck too?
And we didn't see almost nothing of Dracula-Gabriel so how relentless he is, is up in the air.
But I'd guess it didn't stop people from making such statements.  :rollseyes:

Not really. He was still determined enough to cook up a scheme and to eventually Hannibal Lecture Leon. He was determined to become what he is, even if his motivation was deeply emotional. And he is more angry than sad in LoI, so I don't think that's really emo. But I digress. I'm talking about what he became after Lisa died.

Sure, Gabriel may or may not be a bad guy, but is he ever going to give a crap about shattering a wine glass before a duel and being an overall magnificent bastard? Is he gonna become an evil spirit, almost like a force of nature that is fueled by the evil of man?

You don't really need to answer, because I can kind of already guess you don't care about any of that. But what he is now and what he'll probably be, he's not my kind of Drac. And Satan? I can hardly take him seriously (wearing pants might help a little).

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »

Not until your mom lets you be hardcore, anyways, though I think that's a foregone conclusion.

Tags: spoiler