Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castlevania!!!???!!! (DS)  (Read 144672 times)

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
He got suspended because he was not authorized to give out screen-shots of the game. It's waaaay too early for this info to be released! Thank god, I got the pix distributed to the public before they disappeared--the link in my 1st post is now broken:(

He only posted the pics because people on g-faqs were doubting his "translator for konami" status, so he posted the pix to shut them up. I don't think he realized it was tsuch a "faux pas" to let the public see screen-shots 4-8 months before release.

And for all you doubters out there:
1. It's probably a multi-character game (duh!), and the chick is just one of 2-3 people in the game.

2. It's in it's beta phase, so nothing is going to look exactly how the real game will--I'm sure as hell the dates won't be under your life bar in the final version.

3. Lets see some of you 1337 mutha-truckas make some fake shots as good as these...come on Serio, I know you think you can...

Judging by the start screen pic and the translation of the subtitle, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that takes place during the 1999 events. Maybe the guy in the picture that the girl is talking to is Julius and the girl is part of the Hakuba.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:53:20 PM by Thomas Belmont »

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »
In Reply To #76

That's what I was thinking. She could be Mina's mother or grandmother or aunt.

Still, if this is the 1999 game, then it needs a lot of work, as that simply doesn't look grand enough to be what should be the biggest CV game EVER.

I think their efforts with the 1999 game should be focused on making an awesome 3D game, with maybe a standard DS Metrovania version to fall back on just in case the big 3D one isn't successful.
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Offline sonicabid

• Yakuza is beast
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Buy and play the Yakuza games
    • Awards
Re: New Castlevania!!!???!!! (DS)
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
In Reply To #77

That person who looks like Julius looks more like a chick to me. But I suppose that could a young, long-haired Julius Belmont :D.

Though yeah, the re-use of sprites and textures is ridiculous. In the 5th picture, every texture used there was something I saw in POR. Goddamn.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm surprised by how much everyone whines about reusing sprites. It's been done for 10 years now, and I know it;s old and all, but I'm surprised that no one seems used to it yet. I don't care how the graphics are, the games are still fun and I'm sure if this is the new one, or whatever the new DS game is, it'll be fun. Quit the crying.

On a lighter note the website www.kotaku.com now has the screens up and a small article about them and the rumors surrounding them if anyone's interested in reading there thoughts and speculations.

Here's the direct link
http://kotaku.com/346759/rumored-new-castlevania-ds-screens-indicate-wii-connectivity
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
I'm surprised by how much everyone whines about reusing sprites. It's been done for 10 years now, and I know it;s old and all, but I'm surprised that no one seems used to it yet. I don't care how the graphics are, the games are still fun and I'm sure if this is the new one, or whatever the new DS game is, it'll be fun. Quit the crying.

On a lighter note the website www.kotaku.com now has the screens up and a small article about them and the rumors surrounding them if anyone's interested in reading there thoughts and speculations.

Here's the direct link
http://kotaku.com/346759/rumored-new-castlevania-ds-screens-indicate-wii-connectivity

There is an art to sprite recycling.  Many companies have not mastered it.  I don't mind recurring sprites when some new frames of animation are added, or they are integrated into such a way that it seems fresh or new (as in, makes the player go, "Oh hey, it's that monster again, but I never noticed that attack before, cool").  Good example, SotN.  Enemies were relevant to the area, and many recurring ones were touched up with new frames or attacks.  The team also took it a step further and used many edits, creating new enemies; fresh and new.  Bad example is PoR.  Irrelevant enemies and near zero new frames.  There was an edited zombie that was used as Trevor's zombie in SotN, but I can't think of many more (the old axe lord armors threw the axes in different directions, but used no new frames--lazy!).

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
In Reply To #80

You're right, there are ways to make it look good and fresh and new, but it seems like I'm the on;y one not bothered by it. It also seems like everyone is saying the reused sprites is why these games suck (which I don't think they do) and thats what pisses me off I guess. And yeah, I'd say it's lazy but does everyone here think they're not getting a good game worth they're money because of that?

In the end I'd rather have an enjoyable game than one that looks nice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:17:39 PM by profbeanburrito »
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »
Judging by the start screen pic and the translation of the subtitle, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that takes place during the 1999 events. Maybe the guy in the picture that the girl is talking to is Julius and the girl is part of the Hakuba.
Her name's Shanoa (engrish way of saying a french name Chanoix I hear) and the Hakubas were japanese. :P

Genya Arikado

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
I don't think this is 1999, mabey it isn't even real, I hop it is. If it was 1999 expect Julius, a Hakuba family member, Yoko and Alucard (maybe) and also St. Gemain.

Soma Cruz

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
I don't believe this has been discussed in this topic yet, but what do you guys think of the "Wii" word in the menu of that first screen? This was discussed somewhat in the Kotaku article.  Wii Castlevania confirmed?

Soma

Genya Arikado

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »
On wii confermation yet.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
In Reply To #83

Yoko wasn't even born during the 1999 conflict. She's like 25 in dos in year 2036, so she was born in 2011. And Alucard, I don't think he'd miss the ultimate demise of his father. :P

Genya Arikado

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
Oh, yes good piont. I forgot her age.

Persona

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
Like Serio said, there's pretty much two names for the lady, Shanoa (if you read it raw) or something like Shanoix/Chaoix/etc (if you want the name to make some sense). Even though I have posted the latter as the translation, from what I read the name as, it's more like the first since the last letter of her name is basically an a/ah sound. The first name sounds more japanese while the second sounds more french. Japanese names like Yoko and european names like Charlotte. I guess it's either those two areas unless she's some chinese girl from Hong Kong or something.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:49:14 PM by Persona »

Offline The Spoony Hou

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »
I don't believe this has been discussed in this topic yet, but what do you guys think of the "Wii" word in the menu of that first screen? This was discussed somewhat in the Kotaku article.

Offline The Clark

• Beast of Blood
  • Hunter in Training
    • MySpace profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »
I think it reads WI-FI Channel.

It does say, 'Wi-Fi Connection' below Game Start. Above, it says, 'Wii'.

Tags:

anything