Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami: "Taking risks with CV prevented it from becoming another Megaman"  (Read 108459 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Can anyone name something in LoS that was actually original? I mean something Cox and gang themselves thought of?

I mean, he says they "made a change" when they pretty much copypasted things from younger game series.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Hazama troll laugh
Dunno he likes to troll us, and anger us, so for me he's just like Hazama

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
LOL, Cox doesn't actively feed on our hate, he just...has a different perspective, so to speak.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
So really what the Cox is saying here is. "By making the games more generic for the dudebros and abandoning almost 25 years of canon and aesthetic/music design, we were able to squeeze a few more years of slight profitability from a brandname that used to signify the most venerated horror/action series in the medium. I am the greatest gift to gaming since Miyamoto."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:09:34 AM by Ratty »

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
LOL, Cox doesn't actively feed on our hate, he just...has a different perspective, so to speak.
Well maybe not literally but he's making himself look like the hero who saved the franchise.To me, he's kinda feeding on the decaying on the franchise...But he's a troll that's for sure(at least from my perspective).

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
I prefer CV to change, either as LoS or soemthing else, and even a lot, rather than seeing it dying completely (as it was before LoS1).

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
I prefer CV to change, either as LoS or soemthing else, and even a lot, rather than seeing it dying completely (as it was before LoS1).

It's not that this hasn't been discussed numerous time before, but..why?

Even if not thinking CV was dead or dying before LoS or the LoS methods of change have been like throwing mutagen at something that might get better with pills , rest and a pep talk, the question remains. If certain core elements build something and those are altered radically or removed, you're loving the shell - the name, the brand. And then the makers are pretty much just taking a piggyback ride on the established reputation of the franchise. And in that case you've let the makers dictate your interests as a fan instead of your fandom supporting the makers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:36:03 AM by A-Yty »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
So basically all i get from his interview is Resurrection was actually made
(click to show/hide)
. Apparently the series was dead and Lord Cox revived it. The Castle Gate was closed completely until he sacrificed fanfare and canon elements to receive the key to opening the it. Now that he is in full control of Castlevania, the horde of super barrels and titan men have take arms within its walls. It is inpenetrable, no mere mortal dare enter. Lord Cox destroyed the IGA clan and has taken over. Lord Cox's sheer originality has older fans running rampant and the cult of new followers will party on inside his Castle Keep.

Joking aside, i agree with the refreshment of the series however slight. But i agree with the fact that its definitely lacking in the originality department. No matter i will still continue to be a fan to the series! Who knows, since the man is all about the mula, there may be something as shocking as fighting Kratos (***** jumps of nearest cliff with jagged underpass)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
I don't agree that Castlevania "survived". It died for the most part with the creation of Lords of Shadow. In order to 'save' the series they had to gut it completely. That is not saving, that is just offering something in replacement with the same name attached.

I stand by the notion that Castlevania's issues are not with it's core concepts and characters, but in production values, choice of platform, total lack of marketing, and pandering to a different audience than what they should.

I also have an issue with Cox really saying he took a "risk" with Lords of Shadow. Making a series look, sound, and play, more generic than it's predecessors to pander to a wider audience is not a risk. It is minimizing your risk.

The biggest risk was alienating the old fans by the changes, mainly in story. Apparently they were scared of that, since they had to make up false impressions and basically lie to us in the trailers to get us old fans to buy it.

Can anyone name something in LoS that was actually original? I mean something Cox and gang themselves thought of?

I mean, he says they "made a change" when they pretty much copypasted things from younger game series.

You can change something by injecting ideas from other things into it.

In fact an overwhelming majority of highly regarded classic games had lifted their mechanics almost completely wholesale from something else. I honestly do not understand the 'hate' for games that use similar mechanics to others.

In fact that's how we got Symphony of the Night, the most popular game in the entire franchise. Guess that was a terrible game cause it took some exploration mechanics from Metroid?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:08:50 AM by uzo »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
The comparison between SotN has been made lots of times, but I don't think it's comparable because it took one thing from one game. And it didn't splurge all changes in one single game.

Also, SQ was already a "proto Metroidvania" long before SotN.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't borrow ideas from others. That is inevitable in all forms of art and entertainment. But I think you should iron out the details and make it work for the established style instead of the other way around. And not just take things all around, knowing they're from games that have done commercially better than Castlevania.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:22:55 AM by A-Yty »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
Ah, I see what you mean now. You just don't want a game built from the ground up as an amalgamation of 'everything thats popular' then slap the Castlevania name on it. Fair enough.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

granted los has more derrivation (not much) but sotns entire being was super metroid.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
I pick and choose as much as anyone, whether he or she likes LoS or not.

SotN had separate areas instead of levels and certain areas were unlocked after finding certain items. SQ was similar, but not as much as SotN. Either way, CV already took a test drive with that idea before any "MetroidVanias".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:10:32 AM by A-Yty »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I also have an issue with Cox really saying he took a "risk" with Lords of Shadow. Making a series look, sound, and play, more generic than it's predecessors to pander to a wider audience is not a risk. It is minimizing your risk.

The biggest risk was alienating the old fans by the changes, mainly in story. Apparently they were scared of that, since they had to make up false impressions and basically lie to us in the trailers to get us old fans to buy it.
They basically went the "Popular Trend: The Game" route. It's kinda like in the 00s, the whole overuse of colored filters in movies, where everything looked overly yellow or sepia-toned, JUST BECAUSE everybody ELSE was doing it. Tapping into pop trend is hardly a risk. It might be more short lived if you aren't good at hopping with the trend when it shifts(because trends TEND to shift all the time), but it's like when Grunge was popular and every recording studio executive was stepping on each other to sign acts from Seattle. LOL, if you don't know by now, or previous posts in other threads, I have major contempt for souless trend hoppers. To fully embrace the trend flow, I believe you have to sell your identity for being "in the popular trend". You loose what you are for the sake of being accepted. And, if afterschool specials taught as anything(LOL  ;D), that's bad!!!  ;)

Interestingly enough, I also believe that you DON'T have to alienate classic fans to bring in a new fanbase. I think a game LIKE LoS COULD'VE been made wit similar gameplay, or even similar story, that didn't turn off old school fans. Again, I don't think the idea behind the classic lore or characters was even an issue. Would LoS been less successful if it WAS a retelling of Simon's adventure from the first game? If it was basically taking a bulk of inspiration from the earlier games(monsters, atmosphere), but adding in LoS gameplay style, story progression and graphics? I really think the reason why game companies CHOOSE to alienate older fanbases at risk(even though it's a low risk) to gain new ones is that it takes less thinking to do so. It's the easy way out. You COULD probably make a game that appeals to BOTH scenes, and hell, a game that steps on LESS feet might just be more profitable BECAUSE of that, but it might take some crafty experimentation and writing.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Whether we like it or not, LoS is the highest selling game in the series. It's no wonder Konami would put all of their cards on the table in MS's favor.

I don't think the series will go the Silent Hill route, unless Konami completely kills off 2D Castlevania. IGA will be back after LoS2 if Konami needs a new idea after the LoS series, because I am sure as shit not going to buy any LoS spinoffs after LoS2.

Once 2D Castlevania dies, I'm closing the book on this series, and I sincerely hope that does not happen because Castlevania is one of the greatest platforming franchises I have ever experienced.

ReBirth 2, where are you?

Tags:

anything