Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami: "Taking risks with CV prevented it from becoming another Megaman"  (Read 108473 times)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Welp! See you later!
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I honestly thought adding epic raw blood BRUTAL KILLS BRO titty dongs made the game more childish instead of mature or whatever.

In Mega Man Zero, I mean.

It was also pretty stupid in Lords, though, like the game expected me to high five the screen and say 'whoa dawg this is brutal shit, Mom and Dad don't want me to play this game but I'm gonna!" Blood and gore is, like A-yty-sama said, a gimmick. It was shocking and adult and mature and bullshit in '93 with DOOM and Mortal Kombat. Seeing it applied so hamfistedly just came off as unintentionally comical, much like the dumb attempt at internet humor with the cake note.

But anyways, the series was never mature or even bothered to strive to be "raw". All the way through Chronicles, the series just strove to be a homage to the cheesy 30's and 40's Hammer Horror flicks. CV1 was definitely humorous, what with the film reels flanking the title screen, the corny enemies and music, and the pun names for the credits. And that's a huge factor in the enjoyment of that game.

Even Chronicles' Arranged CGI opening flickers and has fake dust and dirt effects to make it look like it was shot in the 30's.

Anyways, a series resorting to bland 'shocking' things like nipples and blood doesn't signify maturity. Instead it signals zero creativity. It's just telling pre-teen kids that if you own RAW EPIC ACTION TIT BLOOD GAME LORDS then you're a cool edgy badass! All your base are belong to us! Cox wears baggy pants exposing his boxers, too! Adult!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I honestly thought adding epic raw blood BRUTAL KILLS BRO titty dongs made the game more childish instead of mature or whatever.

In Mega Man Zero, I mean.

Can't tell if you're just being sarcastic, beingthehero-sama, which you prolly are, but directing this to the less-informed, it's more than just blood (which they removed in the American releases) & brutal deathblows (although cutting the bosses in half and seeing their unique cybernetic-organic innards was intruiging, for me at least. Not to mention very graphic & visceral for the standard MM game). As Flame-sama stated, it's themes of mass-genocide, racism, bi-racial relationships (reploid x human), economic issues, etc. that are present in the series is what makes it a lot more mature than the kid-friendly themes of most other MM games. Hell, Zero even *spoiler* SACRIFICES himself at the series' climax, as opposed to the typical "hero wins & returns home safely" endings in most other MM games. The X series was like this too, but Zero series certainly took it up a notch or 2. Just some examples on why MMZ can be seen as the most "mature" version of MM. Sans titty dongs.

But back on topic~
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:43:14 PM by crisis »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Zero even *spoiler* SACRIFICES himself at the series' climax, as opposed to the typical "hero wins & returns home safely" endings in most other MM games.
He's done that before in X1. He's also gotten killed by the final boss in X5. (through contrived means, but whatever) Though his Z4 death was definitely the greatest. Probably because he STAYED dead. For a good 200 years or so before he reared his head in ZX as a floating plot device. (how appropriate)

Anyways, a series resorting to bland 'shocking' things like nipples and blood doesn't signify maturity. Instead it signals zero creativity. It's just telling pre-teen kids that if you own RAW EPIC ACTION TIT BLOOD GAME LORDS then you're a cool edgy badass! All your base are belong to us! Cox wears baggy pants exposing his boxers, too! Adult!
I think it was Bloodlines (appropriately enough) that introduced blood. It's been there. And then there are the sexualized enemies introduced in Rondo and Symphony, stuff like the Alure une (I probably spelled that wrong) or the TOPLESS SUCCUBUS BOSS. PoR was the worst in this aspect...

And let's not forget Beezlebub in Symphony, or The Forgotten One in Lament, both bosses who were meant to be grotesque. Forgotten one singlehandedly gave LoI a T rating. Castlevania is no stranger to OMG BLOOD OMG TITS

LoS was pretty tame with the sexual fanservice. it's pretty much just Carmilla's odd getup, unless you consider the Crystal item crash demon "fanservice". (Or Satan) And it was no more bloody than LoI, although  a bit more visceral in it's violence.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:39:56 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Umm pretty sure that LOI got a M rating. At least it says so on the box.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
My memory isn't what it used to be. Should have looked it up.
T, M, you know what i mean.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
I don't like Hellsing. It bored me to death. They say Hellsing is "mature" and "compelling". That perfectly explain my tastes and what I like, I think.

Quote from: beingthehero
Anyways, a series resorting to bland 'shocking' things like nipples and blood doesn't signify maturity. Instead it signals zero creativity.

See: Game of Thrones.  See even some later Hammer movies, particular Scars of Dracula which is about as "raw" as you can get.  I still think there's a lot of creativity in there.  Nipples and blood alone are going to do it (and I take the criticism with Lords that some of the violence seemed done for the sake of it) but there are many examples of nudity and violence done in a tasteful way and wrapped in great storyline.  I honestly think in lieu of:

Vampires that feel like they'd rip your own throat out.  A castle with an aura of distinct peril.  Feeling of intimidation. Reward for progression.  Realistic eerie landscapes where the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.  Really take a Belmont vs. Dracula scenario to an extreme.

That there's scope for something brilliant here in our series.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
And then there are the sexualized enemies introduced in Rondo and Symphony, stuff like the Alure une (I probably spelled that wrong) or the TOPLESS SUCCUBUS BOSS. PoR was the worst in this aspect...
...or the best, depending on what you like  ;)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
...or the best, depending on what you like  ;)
Indeed, Indeed...

I don't like Hellsing. It bored me to death. They say Hellsing is "mature" and "compelling". That perfectly explain my tastes and what I like, I think.
Which Hellsing?

The first anime, or Hellsing Ultimate? Yes, there are differences. Mainly, the original was made before the manga ended, so like Full Metal Alchemist, made up it's own story past the Manga's current state.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:38:13 AM by Flame »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
I feel the biggest risk they could've taken would have been to make Gabriel be followed around by a wise Fleaman. After beating the game u can use this Fleaman in Fleaman mode and throw infinite knives. Boom risk taken, im paying!
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Which Hellsing?
The first anime, or Hellsing Ultimate?
Hellsing Ultimate.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Hellsing (manga, TV series, OVA series) is "mature" in the sense that it isn't really something for kiddies, but it's juvenile escapist fantasy through and through.

That's in no way a detractor, in my mind. It has a rather compelling story and great art.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I understand your point, and I'm OK with the fact that everybody seems to like it.
But it just was boring for me. I'm more of the Rosario to Vampire kind of vampire anime, or Dance in the Vampire Bund, though this is very inferior to RtV in my opinion, or when it comes to something "mature", I prefer Elfen Lied for example.
It must have been that I didn't like the characters design perhaps. I don't know. Maybe I was expecting something more Castlevania. I guess it just wasn't for me.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Have you... Read the Rosario+Vampire mangas?

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Yes, but aside from some girl on girl kisses I prefer the anime.
I liked the manga, but it was more an excuse to experience something more with those characters I loved than something I really was a fan of. Usually I read some mangas from animes I really like (Mayoi Neko Overrun, Sora No Otoshimono...), just to get something more when there's no episodes left  :P
The Rosario to Vampire CD must be the album I heard most times in my life (not counting Castlevania).

Tags:

anything