Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Future of the Castlevania Series  (Read 56083 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2014, 06:07:54 AM »
I would be fine with that idea. I think the series would be suited for a whole lot of different gameplay styles, as long as it's action based. It's fun to think of ideas like these. In my opinion, there really wouldn't be a reason why they couldn't do a rogue-like, or a puzzle-action game, a full-fledged RPG, etc. Games like these with a gothic horror aesthetic haven't actually been done before, so it would definitely allow for some creativity.

I agree. Also, while many of us would probably prefer 2D sidescrollers (be they classic or metroidvania) or possibly 3D action games, there's no guarantee that either of those are successful or even remotely "Castlevania enough" either. Mirror of Fate is an example of this. Many people just didn't care for it despite its dark, gothic sidescrolling nature. A topdown Zeldaesque Castlevania could also fail miserably, but probably not because the concept is bad in itself. In the end, it's all about the developer and the actual execution.

IGA and Cox are both guilty of doing questionable things with this franchise, but I don't necessarily think that their ideas were bad. It all came down to execution, I think.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:37 AM »
Every game can sound like a great idea as a concept. Then there's the developer.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
I was thinking the same at first, but then I thought... why not? Depending on how the levels are laid out, maybe you could make a game where it's not needed to jump around. Taking further inspiration from the Zelda series, maybe jumping could be handled in a similar fashion - approach a ledge and the character makes a little, automatic skip!
I'm actually the opposite of that, as in, I think the LoZ series would be quite superior if they added jumping mechanics. Hell, quite personally, I would love the LoZ series to be more ARPG-esque, with lots of different attack chain techniques, double jumping, air dash, in short, more Kingdom Hearts-ish as far as control went. That's just me, tough.

For CV, I still want my ultimate CV, the ultimate 3D platformer that not only looks good, plays good, but features ample amounts of horizontal-level platform areas, as well as ample amounts of verticle-level platform areas. If anything, not JUST for CV, but to act as a "breaking of the misconception" that such a thing is impossible to do, so other developers can say, "It CAN be done. Let's apply this to _____!".

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
The previous talk of the idea of a top-down Castlevania reminded me of one thing: Vagrant Story.
...What? It was top-down-ish, and exploration in that game was somewhat similar to SotN.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
My first idea for a Castlevania fan game was to have it play like a Golden Axe game being able to walk up and down, but retain the tight CV controls and platforming elements. It was a multi-player game too.

I still think it could be cool to see a Castlevania game done that way. It would probably make for a funner co-op game.

I think CV would lend itself better to that style of game than it would a top down experience.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
My first idea for a Castlevania fan game was to have it play like a Golden Axe game being able to walk up and down, but retain the tight CV controls and platforming elements. It was a multi-player game too.

You're not the only one who's thought of this idea  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
no. multiplayer.
There's no a single series that got better with it, and most of them went to the toilet.
no. multiplayer.

Everything comes full circle

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
I Personally think a Gauntlet Legends style of axonometric gameplay would better suit a CV game in 3d. With all the stair walking and voluminously high spaces the game could potentially offer, that would impress me more than LOS. Even though LOS basically nailed the combat, I don't feel CV was always combat based, it is at heart a platformer which requires good timing more so than a combat based game.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
no. multiplayer.
There's no a single series that got better with it, and most of them went to the toilet.
no. multiplayer.

Dungeons and Dragons and Contra are both great co-op games. Just because CV hasn't done it right yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2014, 03:55:53 AM »
Personally, something I also think would be an interesting concept for a game, though perhaps less drastic than other ideas already suggested, is a 3D Castlevania game that is designed similarly to Ico. By that I mean having to think about how to proceed without the game immediately shoving the answer in your face. The game also takes place in a castle and it involves a lot of jumping and climbing. Perhaps an interesting alternative to the gameplay that the 2D games have, which seems difficult to translate to 3D properly.   

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2014, 05:32:21 AM »
A stealth-action game, like Arkham Asylum, with Grant DaNasty would rock.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2014, 07:27:37 AM »
What about open world?, but something not super big like Skyrim, more like Dragon's Dogma. I don't envy the people in charge of the franchise, they have a hard job for the next game after LoS2.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
Dungeons and Dragons and Contra are both great co-op games. Just because CV hasn't done it right yet doesn't mean it can't be done.
No they are not. They might be fun or whatever but nor they are memorable or deep. Not to mention it kills the atmosphere. Resident Evil, Dead Space, Warcraft, Legacy of Kain (my poor heart), Silent Hill, all ruined and devoid of heart thanks to some suit that decides to scrap atmosphere story and gameplay because kids like mp these days. Not to mentions countless dead tacked on ones (tomb raider, assassins creed, BioShock, batman...) that feels like their resources were needed in the sp and were dead in weeks anyway. And don't get me started on paid online (requirement this gen) server closing (the game gets unplayable at some point of history) and of course, microtransactions (holy mother of god).
no. Multiplayer.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »
Multiplayer can be deductive for a lot of games. But amazing games like contra and dragons crown make me believe it could work for cv.

It's not what we're doing with our fan game. But I think it can be done well.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
Those games have absolutely nothing in common with Castlevania, and as you can see history is against the odds. I'd rather not take the risk. Let MP to fan games or a novelty mode in some future game, not the main focus.

Tags:

anything