Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest endings analysis  (Read 13042 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
+2
To throw a monkey wrench into the works and fuck up the canon further for me, what threw ME for a loop, personally, is that the grave in Simon's Quest has exactly the same design as the grave in Super Castlevania IV.

This was years ago, before finding out that CV1/CV4/ADx68000/VKiller, etc. are all interpretations of the same story.

The grave in Simon's Quest:

The grave in Super Castlevania (Uncensored JPN pic):

Also the whole mistranslated bit that says this:
ONCE AGAIN SIMON BELMONT
IS CALLED UPON TO DESTROY
DRACULA.  WITH ONLY HIS
WHIP AND COURAGE HE SETS
OUT TO RESTORE PEACE TO
TRANSYLVANIA.

I was young and impressionable.
I thought that Simon's grandson had his same name. OR (after I got the 'hand' ending) that after Simon became uncursed, Drac came back somehow and he had to trek through a new castle, but now back to his 'super strong' (not cursed) mode, hence why he's so badass with whip abilities & swinging & such.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:15:04 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 11:43:05 AM »
+2
I'll always count SCV4 as THE sequel to Simon's Quest just because of that intro.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
I'll always count SCV4 as THE sequel to Simon's Quest just because of that intro.

Well there's nothing to say it isn't, or at least it wasn't.

Personally I count it in an alternate timeline where Simon was just a beast XD

@Nagumo Your perception and translation are too literal imo, you're acting as if the hand ending = Drac getting up, dusting himself off and heading down to the pub. I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:42:12 PM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 04:48:28 AM »
This site mentions it's possible to do a new game + in Simon's Quest (the JP version at least) which allows you to keep all your items, including Dracula's body parts.

https://www26.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/697.html 

Can anybody confirm this?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:58:53 AM by Nagumo »

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 06:35:50 AM »
+1
This is true, the save system executes differently in the JP version (New Game Plus will keep all obtained items/relics but reset in game time to as Day 0) , and Simon always spawns at starting point (Jova) if continue the game via a save file regardless where you the saved the game progress.

A side note, this site happened to be one of my favourite video game ranking archive, atwiki editors always have some sharp opinions toward games, the total reviews of games, etc.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:15:29 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »
So I still had a save file for the JP version of Simon's Quest lying around and I did a speedrun on new game + (beat the game within 1 in-game day) Unfortunately, it was the exact same ending as before. I was hoping perhaps it would show the third ending (Dracula's grave at dusk but without his hand rising from the grave). I have no idea why the guide says this ending is in the game. Unless it was either taken out or the programmers messed up. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:06:29 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
You guys missing the point that Dracula's gravestone in Simon's Quest and Super Castlevania 4 are in two different locations, the former was in near in the lake or mountains while the latter is in the middle of the cemetery so it doesn't totally confirm that Super Castlevania 4 is the followup of Simon's Quest but rather a prequel or a retelling of Castlevania 1. The only thing I can explain is somehow Simon rebuilt Dracula's gravestone after it was destroyed(I mean it look so good as new without a single crack compare from Super Castlevania 4's intro)and relocate his remains after beating him for the second time, he still have some respect for Dracula as a former tyrant yet a hero of Transylvania before he became a vampire(until the retcon thing by IGA).

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
So I still had a save file for the JP version of Simon's Quest lying around and I did a speedrun on new game + (beat the game within 1 in-game day) Unfortunately, it was the exact same ending as before. I was hoping perhaps it would show the third ending (Dracula's grave at dusk but without his hand rising from the grave). I have no idea why the guide says this ending is in the game. Unless it was either taken out or the programmers messed up.

It's more than likely taken out given the other versions had the exact same endings whose text also appear to be in the incorrect order. The only stuff up on the programmers side imo is what's been stated all along: that in the worst ending - black & white (where Simon isn't found at the gravestone) it was supposed to say that he died of his wounds. This makes logical sense.

@Shinobi As if nobody else could've died and been buried in that location. Why on earth would Simon build/ rebuild Dracula's tombstone. 

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
@Shinobi As if nobody else could've died and been buried in that location. Why on earth would Simon build/ rebuild Dracula's tombstone.

My last sentence still explains it, yeah after Simon have been through because of the curse he still respect Dracula as a hero of Transylvania before he became a vampire(before the retcon thing by IGA) and manage to rebuild a tombstone and buried his remains in a different location near the lake or mountains as oppose to cemetery as seen in the intro of Super Castlevania 4.

One evidence that Simon's has some respect to Dracula was he kneeled in front of his grave as seen in the endings. Quite reminds me of Solid/Old Snake which he salutes to the grave of his father Big Boss even after he was betrayed and wants him dead a couple of times.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »
You guys missing the point that Dracula's gravestone in Simon's Quest and Super Castlevania 4 are in two different locations, the former was in near in the lake or mountains while the latter is in the middle of the cemetery so it doesn't totally confirm that Super Castlevania 4 is the followup of Simon's Quest but rather a prequel or a retelling of Castlevania 1. The only thing I can explain is somehow Simon rebuilt Dracula's gravestone after it was destroyed(I mean it look so good as new without a single crack compare from Super Castlevania 4's intro)and relocate his remains after beating him for the second time, he still have some respect for Dracula as a former tyrant yet a hero of Transylvania before he became a vampire(until the retcon thing by IGA).

This was when I was younger.  And, why would Dracula's grave be completely by itself somewhere?  The other graves are probably nearby.  And the shot of the graveyard could've been from the water after the tree had died.  Or the tree isn't as visible.
Again, this was all disproven later when IGA mentioned that all of these are just legendary re-tellings of the Simon Belmont story and that's why they're all slightly different (CV4, VK, X68000, CV1, etc.).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »
Well it's quite uncommon that a grave was buried outside the cemetery fiction-wise that is, Minami Kotaro's second adopted parent's grave in Kamen Rider Black RX, Kayin's father's grave in Toshinden anime, Tackle's grave in Kamen Rider Spirits, Bruce Wayne's parent's grave in Nolan's Batman trilogy, Kentaro and Mitsuyo Go's grave in Voltes V, etc. etc., this are the example.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:56:55 PM by Shinobi »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »
One evidence that Simon's has some respect to Dracula was he kneeled in front of his grave as seen in the endings. Quite reminds me of Solid/Old Snake which he salutes to the grave of his father Big Boss even after he was betrayed and wants him dead a couple of times.

The simplest explanation is him paying respects at his enemy's grave. Nothing more, nothing less.
Whether there are more or less gravestones around is irrelevant, given the final area of the game prior to crossing the bridge is called "Vlad Graveyard", inferring there is a graveyard in the vicinity.

EDIT: Furthermore re: Dracula's grave, we know from the dates on the grave that it has been in an established location from 1476, which is not the year that Simon's Quest takes place in. It's therefore unreasonable to assume it hasn't been in the same location all along.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:29:38 AM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 04:19:51 AM »

EDIT: Furthermore re: Dracula's grave, we know from the dates on the grave that it has been in an established location from 1476, which is not the year that Simon's Quest takes place in. It's therefore unreasonable to assume it hasn't been in the same location all along.

Well my dead Grandmother's remains was relocated in a different cemetery where my dead Aunt, Uncle and later my Grandfather buried but still engraving the same date when she died. Yes Dracula revived after 1476 but his humanity was already lost so still he was considered dead on that date and engraved that date on a new gravestone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:29:32 AM by Shinobi »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
In a hypothetical scenario where SCIV was meant as a sequel to Simon's Quest, it would have to take place 100 years afterwards (as per the game's intro). It's always possible the grave was moved or the surrounding landscape changed during that time. All of this is just senseless speculation, though. You can't use that kind of reasoning to proof or disproof whether SCIV was intented to be a sequel or not.   

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
In a hypothetical scenario where SCIV was meant as a sequel to Simon's Quest, it would have to take place 100 years afterwards (as per the game's intro). It's always possible the grave was moved or the surrounding landscape changed during that time. All of this is just senseless speculation, though. You can't use that kind of reasoning to proof or disproof whether SCIV was intented to be a sequel or not.

So let me get this straight: The rest of us aren't allowed to speculate about in-game elements (knowing full well the context and that they were retconned) but you can speculate about a guide which doesn't contain the correct endings.... Yeah, nuff said... (all of a sudden that solid black Gerudo Stallion in full stride has bitten the dust) :rollseyes:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:41:11 PM by zangetsu468 »