Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Fan Stuff / Re: For Sale/For Trade Thread!
« Last post by zangetsu468 on October 17, 2021, 05:52:58 AM »
Interest check. I was wondering if some of the collectors here are going for a sealed collection or are interested in sealed items? I have several in my collection I'd like to offer up for trade. I'm looking for rarer CIB items.

If there's interest I'll take some photos and make a list of what I have. I have Belmont's Revenge and Simon's Quest, both US in great shape to name a couple.

Thanks.

DM me  :)
Fan Stuff / Re: For Sale/For Trade Thread!
« Last post by LuxKiller65 on October 17, 2021, 05:26:31 AM »
Sorry I need the cash to fund the new Castlevania music boxsets :(
Off Topic / Re: thonks
« Last post by Bloodreign on October 17, 2021, 04:57:14 AM »
My little ones have all grown up.  :'(

Congrats d00d!
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: Castlevania Advance Collection
« Last post by X on October 17, 2021, 12:12:56 AM »
Unlike CDX where you could take several good hits and still power your way through an area, in Rondo you took four or five hits and you died, even early on. In the original games not including Simon's Quest you could lose two or three bars of health depending. That is until you entered Dracula's castle and then you would lose four health bars. And since the player only had a total of sixteen bars that means four hits and you died. CV Bloodlines had twenty health bars. An extra four bars of health over the rest of the series.
Hardcore Gaming 101 / Re: Metroid: Dread
« Last post by X on October 17, 2021, 12:02:33 AM »
Now i'm ready for a Super Metroid remake with this engine.  That would be killer.

Only so long as they keep the controls as they were in the SNES game. I'm against fixing things that aren't broken but not everybody will see it that way.

The bosses are becoming a real pain in the @$$ as my bro can attest to. They really want you to strategize in Dread like you had to in Samus Returns. This is another thing that MercurySteam is hung up on. This type of play style was never really a focal point in the original games. The only games that you needed to have a bit of strategy with was in the Prime series, and for those games that were in 3D it worked out as intended. But I personally feel it's not something that the 2D or 2.5D games should be making a habit out of. Another gripe that I've heard other people share is the over-usage on the speedbooster via puzzles/collections. Super Metroid had the right balance and never forced you to go through a frustrating amount of running, jumping, pin-point executing races in order to collect more items. If the game wasn't operating on a clock system to get the best ending then it wouldn't be such an issue. As I mentioned before it's a decent game but there are things about it that I would have seen developed differently in comparison to what we got.
Hardcore Gaming 101 / Re: Metroid: Dread
« Last post by BMC_War Machine on October 16, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »
I'm liking it pretty well so far.  I'm up to Elun right now.  The only gripe i have so far is the way the missles/grapple beam control with r/zr.  Sometimes those get mixed up when i need them but that could be largely user error lol.  Overall i think it's a pretty solid game, not deserving of all the hate it gets.  I'm just thankful we have something besides the prime series for a change.  Now i'm ready for a Super Metroid remake with this engine.  That would be killer.
« Last post by Abnormal Freak on October 16, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »
The zero invincibility frames thing is kind of balanced by the huge amount of health CDX gives the player. This isn't "four hits and you're dead" classic Castlevania, it's a Street Fighter life bar that gradually depletes. So while getting a Medusa Head up your butt for three consecutive hits can be annoying, (a) it's avoidable, and (b) it doesn't take away a ton of health.

Comparing since they came out around the same time, I think Bloodlines gives more of a challenge at parts, it's just a more solidly built game so I guess it doesn't feel cheap like CDX can. But it's one of those things where if you put a little time into mastering the play controls and quirks—and it doesn't take much—it's no longer that hindering.

Now whether you find the game worth putting in a little effort is a whole other thing. I know there are games I didn't have the patience for so I cheated my way through them just to get it over with, and maybe that's how folks feel about this one. I think there's a decent little game there, even if it pales in comparison to Rondo and the other 16-bit entries.
Hardcore Gaming 101 / Re: Virgil's Purgatory
« Last post by X on October 16, 2021, 11:08:15 AM »
Now there's a blast from the past in terms of PC gaming design!
Hardcore Gaming 101 / Re: Virgil's Purgatory
« Last post by Amaweks on October 16, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
Hi, Virgil's Purgatory for ZX Spectrum is complete and launched. you can find it on ichio: https://amaweks.itch.io/virgils-purgatory-zilog

This 2021 version is a Demake of the PC version I did back in 2016. The PC version mimics Super Game Boy aesthetics, and the new version is a real ZX Spectrum game. Below some images of the ZX version:

« Last post by zangetsu468 on October 16, 2021, 12:48:05 AM »
Edit: Apologies to the forum and mods for double-posting. I’m on a mobile device, which seems to have attracted a Glitch Gremlin  :o
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
anything