Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Fan Stuff / Re: For Sale/For Trade Thread!
« Last post by zangetsu468 on October 15, 2021, 07:02:05 PM »
Needs to go, asking 550$ plus shipping. Serial 164 out of 299. Brand new.
Detailed photos: HERE
(click to show/hide)

Hi, would you consider doing a trade?
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: Castlevania Advance Collection
« Last post by zangetsu468 on October 15, 2021, 06:11:57 PM »
My point about CDX is that within its own series, it's not an especially difficult game; there are loads of Castlevanias far more difficult, so what makes Dracula X so tough? (Besides maybe mastering its broken controls and no invincibility frames.) Games like SCV4 and SOTN are the exception to the rule, not the example. X68000, the OG Game Boy games, Bloodlines, and the NES games are much more challenging than CDX.

I suppose at the end of the day it's all subjective, but the game seems to be building a reputation as being balls-nasty and I just don't see it.

If you finish DX with the true ending, it is tough. But I will say this:

- Despite beating Death in the hardest route, ‘The Devil flies by night’ stage and boss fight in Rondo (at least in CV collection) feels more difficult than beating Death after the Clocktower in DX… Despite Rondo being a much easier game.
- The Dracula fight is much harder for obvious reasons, but there are still ways to master it.
- Stage 4(?) shenanigans of not falling into the pit and killing the knight boss is tough, although the boss itself is tougher in Rondo(although one can argue this is balanced by having to beat the knight in one shot while having the key item equipped, not allowing the player to use a sub weapon).
- Stage 5’ isn’t impossible to find, but you really have to be looking to get to Annette, whereas the 4 women in Rondo are easier to find, in general.
- Recovery after taking a hit/ invincibility frames are pretty unforgiving

All in all, it’s a challenge, but I still place US CVIII a fair bit higher. If you ‘count’ all the older games leading up to it, including the GB titles, it sits in the middle but on the higher side of difficulty. If you count Metroidvanias it appears harder.

Why I think it’s remembered as hard in general is that it took much of the freedom of movement that SCVIV brought, which also wasn’t as difficult overall.
It is a little surprising that Bloodlines even making the cut, since I don't think any other Castlevania games are on their other service for NES and SNES.  Maybe they'll start trickling over there now that the Anniversary Collection has been out for a few years.
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: Castlevania Advance Collection
« Last post by Lumi Kløvstad on October 15, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »
My point about CDX is that within its own series, it's not an especially difficult game; there are loads of Castlevanias far more difficult, so what makes Dracula X so tough? (Besides maybe mastering its broken controls and no invincibility frames.) Games like SCV4 and SOTN are the exception to the rule, not the example. X68000, the OG Game Boy games, Bloodlines, and the NES games are much more challenging than CDX.

I suppose at the end of the day it's all subjective, but the game seems to be building a reputation as being balls-nasty and I just don't see it.

I mean, it IS building that reputation, and the thing is, it's not unfounded.

so what makes Dracula X so tough? (Besides maybe mastering its broken controls and no invincibility frames.
Seems like some light No-True-Scotsmanning going on here so if I may, a slightly reworked version of that:

So what makes Dracula X so tough? Its broken controls and no invincibility frames.

Like, broken controls (which I personally have not really noticed, but I've seen a LOT of other people complaining about it so maybe I'm just blind here) and a lack of invincibility frames can't really excluded with a word like "besides" seeing as they're central to the difficulty argument. It's discounting central evidence.

Yeah, if the controls were snappier and the game had invincibility frames, it would be considered one of the easier games in the classic series. That's... kind of exactly the literal argument being made by detractors. And the thing is? They're right. A lot of the game's difficulty can be traced back to these roots which I think can rightly be called "unfair difficulty", which is one of the things that make people call Rondo of Blood the superior game (but just one).

Most Castlevania games from the period, including the harder ones, don't often FEEL that much harder because they're fair about it; any hits you take are your fault for not being observant enough and failing to plan effectively. Dracula X FEELS a lot harder because its difficulty is derived from how scummy it is, by punishing you two or three times in rapid succession for a single mistake, costing you half your health in the process. This is also why The Castlevania Adventure has such a sour reputation -- it does a lot of those same things, but even worse: having controls that are truly broken, and making you actively less powerful by sapping your avatar strength with each hit you take. The common thread between Dracula X and Adventure is they feel hard because the game draws attention to its inherent unfairness and punish you disproportionately to the mistake being made, leaving the player almost zero room for error. Other Castlevanias are much more chill about it, and the punishment you receive feels more or less about equal to the magnitude of your screw up, so even if the difficulty is truly higher, it doesn't really feel that way. It's the sort of thing where it falls under the principle of "if you're doing it right, the player will never notice."

Dracula X and The Adventure do not do it right (neither does Haunted Castle but who gives a shit about Haunted Castle?). And we noticed.
It's a nice thought, but doubtful. No one is begging for those games to make a return. Hell, Konami skipped right over them and went to the GBA for their current collection.

I choose a fool's hope that we'll see two more collections: the DS Trilogy, and the 3D games, compiling the N64 games and the PS2 entries. With that, the main games would be wrapped up and the history of the series more or less covered.
I’ll beg then.  Beg, beg.  Powers that be take note.

I totally want the rewind feature to get past that magical nitro + mandragora section.  One should only have to do that once in one’s lifetime.
It's a nice thought, but doubtful. No one is begging for those games to make a return. Hell, Konami skipped right over them and went to the GBA for their current collection.
Looks like Castlevania Bloodlines will come to the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack service.  Of course, with that game in the Castlevania: Anniversary Collection, that news doesn’t mean much to me.  Whay piqued my interest is that Nintendo 64 games would be on the service, meaning maybe one day we’ll see a Castlevania or Legacy of Darkness title there.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEKHrs2porCkU3ihkkNd2j0cqFggEKg4IACoGCAow_598MLC1CTChqAY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
Off Topic / Re: thonks
« Last post by X on October 15, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
Congratz!  :)
Off Topic / Re: thonks
« Last post by zangetsu468 on October 15, 2021, 02:28:50 AM »
Congratulations  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10