Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS2 dev confesses the reality behind the making of LoS2  (Read 11687 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: LoS2 dev confesses the reality behind the making of LoS2
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
+1
Oh, please. Compared to Iga's games the LoS 2's story is like Shakespeare.

Really? REALLY?! Iga's game's stories aren't that great, but LoS' story is just as bad, if not worst. Playing through it right now, and it's... ... hmm... The game is playable. But there are so many gripes I'll get into later. But back onto story, it's a POS so far. I'm about to meet Carmilla so I probably have a bit of a ways to go. The story is literally a fantasy version of a teenage boy, his retarded tsundere son or little brother and CRAZY, abusive, clingy girlfriend., bothering him, while he's trying to buy an illegal gun to shoot himself in the face so that he won't have to listen to them anymore.

Offline Darkson

• Hunter in Training
  • In the shadows, lurks redemption
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
I have to agree with saying that, compared to the iga games, lords of shadow series is better in the story department.

Boiling the story down to such labels will, naturally, make it seem petty and insignificant. Lords of shadow 2 starts off with Gabriel wanting to die, unwilling to continue his wrath against humanity since his son will come to fight him. Not wishing to fight his son or blood, he went into seclusion. Now, with satan coming back, he has a chance to die but, over the course of the story, he realizes that he cannot just selfishly run from the past.

The entire castle segments are in a pocket dimension. The blood and carmilla represent the evil inside of him, with carmilla likely related to the fact that it was Laura who turned Gabriel. Marie and Trevor represent Gabriel's lingering remnants of humanity and, over the course of the game, they help to convince him that he had gone astray from his original cause and get him back on course.

Is victor underused? Yes. But the story is pretty good. Not great or revolutionary, but still pretty good. Same level as 1 and mirror of fate.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
+1
I have to disagree entirely with LoS's story being better than the original canon or IGA's games.

The most crucial moment, Dracula's birth, wasn't even included in the original LoS. It was only seen in DLC. There are too many moments in the whole series that are just kind of "what" that you need to just nod your head and accept it for what it is. The whole thing feels forced and it kind of makes me believe even more LoS was never meant to be about Dracula or Castlevania when they first started it.

From what I understand Enric was the main writer for the LoS series. He's awful, like, mediocre comic book writer awful.

Granted, Castlevania always had a super silly plot but the games did their damn best to adhere to what the series plot is all about; Dracula and devil's castle coming back every 100 years with a family of vampire hunters or solo hunters affiliated with the Belmonts in some way that must stop him.

LoS is just kind of all over the place, they aimed to make a tragedy more than anything, and sometimes it came off as a forced tragedy, and then there's the inclusion of all these weird mystical/magic items you'd love to know more about but they never really explain any of it or what their purpose is.

Examples? The God and Devil Mask you spent all of LoS searching for that they just dropped and never mentioned in MoF or LoS2. I still do not understand their significance at all. If they did do something then they did a horrible job communicating it or even showing their purpose.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:39:22 PM by OSM »

Offline Darkson

• Hunter in Training
  • In the shadows, lurks redemption
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
Thing is, from what I've heard, mercury steam wanted to include the transformation in game, but had to make it dlc due to pressure from konami.

And besides that, at least how I feel, the classic plot just became...stale. It didn't try enough.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
+2
LoS2 had everything for being the best game in the series, from all fronts. And they fucked that up. Mirror of Fate holds the best story in a Castlevania ever, and that's sad.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
+1
LOS1 had a pretty straight forward plot until losing it's edge right at the end.

MoF's plot was pretty basic, yet very predictable.

LOS2 felt like, they(and by they I mean Alvarez) looked and said "Ok, we have Dracula in modern times. Now what?" And the discussion went on for two years until decide to put everything in a blender, forget about the lid and ask questions later. The result was a messy plot that went downhill an hour into the beginning of the game and never recovered.

Out of all the LOS games, MoF had the better plot but not by much.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:32:59 PM by Kingshango »

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
LOS1 had a pretty straight forward plot until losing it's edge right at the end.

MoF's plot was pretty basic, yet very predictable.

LOS2 felt like, they(and by they I mean Alvarez) looked and said "Ok, we have Dracula in modern times. Now what?" And the discussion went on for two years until decide to put everything in a blender, forget about the lid and ask questions later. The result was a messy plot that went downhill an hour into the beginning of the game and never recovered.

Out of all the LOS games, MoF had the better plot but not by much.

I think this sums up Lord's story pretty accurately to be honest.  I blame Satan. The guy just ruins everything.

As for MoF: I found it on par with most of IGA's storylines: as you said, basic plot with predictable twists. The presentation was just arguably better, as is most of the Lord's storyline compared to IGA's.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
LoS is just kind of all over the place, they aimed to make a tragedy more than anything, and sometimes it came off as a forced tragedy, and then there's the inclusion of all these weird mystical/magic items you'd love to know more about but they never really explain any of it or what their purpose is.

Examples? The God and Devil Mask you spent all of LoS searching for that they just dropped and never mentioned in MoF or LoS2. I still do not understand their significance at all. If they did do something then they did a horrible job communicating it or even showing their purpose.
The God's Mask lets the wielder see with the eyes of God. Zobek tricked Gabriel into telling him it would bring Marie back (that's the whole premise for his quest)
The Devil's Mask allows the user to be controlled. this was shoehorned into the end of the game and explained how Marie had actually died.

Mirror of Fate holds the best story in a Castlevania ever, and that's sad.
You poor tormented soul...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
You poor tormented soul...
Let me guess, google it if I don't get it.

Everything comes full circle

Tags:

anything