Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What anime are you currently watching....  (Read 130749 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: What anime are you currently watching....
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2022, 07:26:28 AM »
I just finished watching "Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside".
Anyone notice that the hero's quest is basically Final Fantasy?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
Finally got around to watching the Patlabor Blu-rays I bought years back; I'd previously only seen the original OVA series and the first movie (plus a handful of TV episodes).

I started with the TV series since it's the biggest commitment, is its own timeline, and it may now be my favorite iteration of Patlabor. It's just so carefree and fun, and there's a wide variety of stories that I like. Nobody really ever gets badly hurt, the colors are all bright and cheery, and it does the comedy more successfully than the original OVA.

Then I followed it with the New Files OVA since it's a continuation. It was nice seeing the first four episodes dedicated to finishing the Griffon storyline, but many of the other episodes felt like rejected scripts for the TV show and didn't feature much Labor action. Not unusual for the series—being a mecha anime that's not really all that much about robots—but I was still a little let down. But, it's part of the TV timeline so I had to finish it.

I went back to the OVA series after that, probably the third time I've seen it. Still fun, still uneven, but a nice introduction to the characters. Then it was on to the movies, and I really, really like that first one because it feels like a continuation of the OVA but more in-depth and a bit more serious, but it still holds true to what I feel Patlabor is and should be: a heartwarming, fairly lighthearted comedy with some intense segments where things never get too far out of hand. It's basically the last thing labeled "Patlabor" that feels this way, lol.

So now it's on to the movie sequels which I'd never seen. Patlabor 2 works as a sort of maturing for the series, both in tone and character development, reflected by a line Izumi speaks where she doesn't want to forever be known as the girl who loves robots. The characters are growing up, situations are getting more tense, there are actual death tolls (I was shocked), and Mamoru Oshii has to sneak in his typical political jargon and philosophical wankery, but it was good overall. The music, scenery, and ambience are absolutely beautiful in this movie. Not sure I'm fully on board with the redesigned characters, but it fits the overall theme of maturity that the story has, moving from cutesy Akemi Takada designs to more "grown up" and borderline ugly mutations on those, lol. Good movie overall, I'm sure I'll like it more on repeat viewings.

OH SHIT, THEN WE COME TO PATLABOR 3, OR WXIII: PATLABOR THE MOVIE 3 TO BE PRECISE, AND IT IS BASICALLY PATLABOR IN NAME ONLY lol. I don't really know why this ever was made into a Patlabor movie because the involvement of Special Vehicle Section 2 feels very shoehorned in, and it goes balls-deep with the violence and bloodshed, so it's tonally way different than anything that came before. It barely resembles Patlabor at all, but I liked it overall, though it's definitely the weakest installment I've watched. The accompanying Minipato episodes are cute.

Yeah, I finally feel caught up. I know there's manga but I don't know if it's ever been published in the US, and there's a live-action TV series I wouldn't mind seeing if it's streaming somewhere or made available on Blu-ray. I wouldn't mind seeing Oshii come back to it one more time with other original creators, though it'd probably end up being GITS2 levels of self-indulgence and not the fun Patlabor that I love.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »
Abnormal Freak@

I remember seeing bits and pieces of Patlabor back in the day. Patlabor 2 on the other hand I saw the whole thing. You're right about the film. What caught me the most was the ambiance delivered by the musical score. It fit the scenes perfectly and to this day it's still stuck in my head. I liked it so much that I searched online for years till I was able to find and download the soundtrack. I'm good at the waiting game. The tune; At Parting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSRdQXF_M8 is one of those I won't forget. If I'm not mistaken the musical score for the original anime of Ghost in the Shell was also done by the same composer.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2022, 10:21:11 PM »
Yeah, Kenji Kawai. One thing about pairing him with Oshii is they have these long atmospheric scenes of cityscapes with beautifully relaxing music. Patlabor 1 has a great scene of two detectives investigating various shacks rented out by the antagonist.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2022, 01:47:50 AM »
Jungle no Ouja Taa-chan and Miracle Girls currently.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2022, 12:24:23 AM »
Currently, Spy X Family. It's funny!!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2022, 09:47:09 PM »
So, something insane happened: Discotek Media released Violence Jack: Evil Town on Blu-ray in beautiful, filmic quality and completely uncut. As in, no more mosaics. Never thought I'd see the day.

Still an excellent piece of exploitation filth. The other two OVAs are kinda so-so but man, Ichiro Itano's Evil Town is supreme.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Atcero

• Linktree
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »
Kaguya and Spy x Family, easily some of the best animes (and mangas) currently going on right now.

Offline Hiryu

• Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2022, 08:23:17 PM »
It's that time of the year for classic Vampire Hunter D (1985). CGI be damned.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2022, 02:43:12 AM »
Gegege no Kitarou, as much of the 1968 series subbed as I can find (22 of 65 episodes), the only 3 subbed episodes of the 1971 version, now onto the 1985 version, which has over 100 episodes.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2022, 06:19:22 AM »
Watched the new Bastard on Netflix. Really liked it up until the last 5 episodes or so, as it just got tedious, and they introduced some wonky CGI animation, and I say fuck that shit completely. Looking forward to season 2, though. Surprised the twittards haven't discovered it yet, because hoo boy does this have a lot of questionable content, and I'm here for it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2022, 10:50:24 AM »
Surprised the twittards haven't discovered it yet

From what I heard Elon Musk bought Twitter and is cleaning out the 'twittards' so-to-speak. That's probably why.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
I'm finally nearing the end of DBZ, currently on the Majin Boo saga and Goku just turned SS3 for the first time. I started watching DB/Z when I was pretty little, before Toonami picked it up, and basically stopped watching when the show got canceled during the original dub's Freeza saga; then picked it up years later starting with the DB "Saga" DVDs and the DBZ Dragon Box DVDs, which I've slowly chipped away at over the past 10+ years. These two shows are much better subtitled because the original music and voice performances are so much better and more dramatic. There's even been a couple pop songs in DBZ during intense moments. Just loving feeling like a kid again watching this series to completion, and then I can jump into Super finally.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
+1
re-watching the Patlabor TV series. It's so good, so much wholesome fun :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: September 20, 2023, 08:05:55 AM »
The Patlabor TV series is the best iteration, I think. The original OVA and movies are great too, but I like how nobody really gets killed or seriously injured (that I recall) and it's pretty lighthearted while being simultaneously high-stakes. Just a great series.

Finished season two of Bastard, loved it. Can't wait for a third and so on. Looks like they'll be adapting the complete manga storyline, if this continues to be successful. Maybe the licensor of the OVA will let someone like Discotek remaster it. I saw parts of it years ago but don't remember much.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything