Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Admiring some NES ingenuity: Destiny Of An Emperor  (Read 3030 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Admiring some NES ingenuity: Destiny Of An Emperor
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
Got bored and decided to rip the sprites of Destiny Of An Emperor. Thought I was nearly finished, then I realized the portraits in the game were mix-and-match composites. So, back I went to redo the sprite sheet. Then I got the dumb idea to rip the kanji sprites and thus put names to all the portraits. This was what I had to work with:

It looks like an unreadable, jumbled mess and that's because it is. That is, until you change the palette. Matching the darkest shade to the lightest will make one half of a character legible. Matching the middle shade to the lightest will make the other half of a character legible. I've seen this in other games but always just assumed it was an issue with the bit depth, since in a 4bpp game (e.g., SNES) lowering the bit depth to 2bpp would make it legible. Not sure how many games got this bright idea, but it effectively cuts the memory required for large, legible characters in half.

Pointless nowadays, but intriguing to me nonetheless.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Admiring some NES ingenuity: Destiny Of An Emperor
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
Sounds like you had fun  ???
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Admiring some NES ingenuity: Destiny Of An Emperor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:40:53 AM »
I must admit, Thou, though I lack the technical knowledge you're esteemed in, I do greatly enjoy when you find and post stuff like this.

It is indeed interesting as hell. :)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: