Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania was inspired by Lupin III?!  (Read 9324 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
+2
Ok, I've heard and seen the connections to things like the Vampire Hunter D franchise for myself, but this is new. The CV Dungeon mentions it for one image, but someone has found A LOT of images that form the basis of Castlevania's roots, and they're all from the 1979 Lupin III anime movie by Miyazaki, Castle of Cagliostro. I've seen this one, and never made the connection. But I think it just goes to show that Japanese anime has had a definite influence on Castlevania's developers pretty much right from the start.

http://littlepemo.tumblr.com/post/31528664504/a-few-more-castlevania-cagliostro-similarities
http://littlepemo.tumblr.com/post/29662788035/there-was-a-post-on-did-you-know-gaming-a-while

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Castlevania was inspired by Lupin III?!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
You gotta be kidding me. You gotta have the eye of a eagle and too much free time to catch those things.

So, people who says LoS is a LOTR ripoff, I have bad news for you lol
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:58:50 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
IIRC did you know gaming mentioned this as well.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
IIRC did you know gaming mentioned this as well.

Sort of. DYK Gaming thought it was just Dracula X's map screen. (http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/25379612265/castlevania-dracula-x). But then the person I posted about above took it to a whole different level, IMO.

It really doesn't take anything away from Castlevania, though. I just find it interesting. If anything, and maybe it goes without saying, I think this shows that a Japanese sensibility/interpretation of castles, fantasy, and horror are at the heart of the series. The angles and design work in the CVIII's Level 1 Village against the castle backdrop almost looks like a complete 8-bit replication. I love the Atlantis-style stages throughout the series, though, so I have to thank Cagliostro for that. :) I wonder if clock tower stage fans have to do the same? :P

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Interesting.... Lupin the 3rd is an old anime,correct? Well if that is case the twilight movies must have really been inspired by castlevania and others. I mean was it me or is that guy will the red/black cloak look identical to alucard(just with a bit more black hair). The minute i seen a commercial for the movie i was like, holy alucard rip-off. Also i didn't watch any of those twilight saga's yet, i just noticed alucard was in it...lol.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »
You gotta be kidding me. You gotta have the eye of a eagle and too much free time to catch those things.

So, people who says LoS is a LOTR ripoff, I have bad news for you lol
Yeah, but considering how that art looks, I think it's much more fitting as "inspirational material" to the CV series than LotR is in general, at least with it being established for such a longer time. Even without thinking about Cagliostro, when you think of classic movie monsters, you think of spooky locations like that anyway. And without even knowing about Cagliostro as a kid(didn't watch it until I was in my teen years), playing the original CVs, considering you were facing classic monster enemies(Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, Mummies...), that setting just felt right.  :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
Impressive! Some of those locations are identical to the once is CV. I never would have guessed. Then again I've never actually seen any of the Lupin III anime either.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline mistressalucard

• Diva
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Magical Diva
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Moonlit Path
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Honestly any gothic, horror or vampire themed anime or movie could be a source for CV.  There are certain things that always set a vampire styled game or movie up so you are immediately in that surrounding.  Darkness, castles, lonely paths through the woods, graveyards, ect

I don't see it personally for these two other than classic horror type settings.
---
Lady A

Trevor Belmont Fan

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
Honestly any gothic, horror or vampire themed anime or movie could be a source for CV.  There are certain things that always set a vampire styled game or movie up so you are immediately in that surrounding.  Darkness, castles, lonely paths through the woods, graveyards, ect

I don't see it personally for these two other than classic horror type settings.

I understand your sentiment, but have you looked closely at the pictures? The biggest giveaway is in the one where the assassins are crawling on the rooftops in Cagliostro. Compare it to the background village of CVIII's stage 1, and you see essentially the same angles and castle facade in both backgrounds.

Also, Cagliostro has a sunken ancient Roman-style city hidden around it, and that could really explain where Castlevania got that idea from, which otherwise seems to be a non-sequitur. The structure of the clock tower and the bridge, and the maneuvering over the gears also seem very suspicious.

Finally, I have some bad news for you, perhaps. Vampire Hunter D novels, manga, and anime movies likely established two big Castlevania tropes. A whip-brandishing character against vampires in the first novel (1983) and first movie (1985, at least 9 months prior to Castlevania NES in Japan). And, SotN's long-haired, ethereally handsome and sword-wielding interpretation of Alucard is also likely taken from the titular character of Vampire Hunter D, who is also Dracula's anti-hero son with these same attributes.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »
+1
Japanese anime has had a definite influence on Castlevania's developers pretty much right from the start.
Of course it's had. I've always perceived Castlevania as anime, just by looking at earlier manuals and character portraits.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Vampire Hunter D novels, manga, and anime movies likely established two big Castlevania tropes. A whip-brandishing character against vampires in the first novel (1983) and first movie (1985, at least 9 months prior to Castlevania NES in Japan). And, SotN's long-haired, ethereally handsome and sword-wielding interpretation of Alucard is also likely taken from the titular character of Vampire Hunter D, who is also Dracula's anti-hero son with these same attributes.

Also Dracula in CV2:

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
I heard one time the phrase "originality means to hid well your sources" or something like that, it seems that this person is correct. No its not bashing, but is hilarious to discover all these things only now.

Also if someone here likes Lupin III I recommend Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
Also Dracula in CV2:

And don't forget the castle crumbling in on itself at the end of the first Vampire Hunter D novel and movie. Starting the Castlevania tradition. Some of the enemies in Vampire Hunter D are suspiciously reminiscent of classic Castlevania monsters as well.

Honestly this revelation is really cool but not very surprising. Castlevania has been unabashed about it's inspiration by horror in other media, especially the original 3. Heck we all remember the NES credits sequence at the end of the first game which is full of references to classic horror film actors. Sometimes very obscure ones like Green Stranger = Glen Strange, the fourth actor to play Frankenstein's monster for Universal.
And I think it's easy to understand Konami's artists would use things like stills from Cagliostro and classic monster movies as reference when trying to create the proper mood. The stairway/castle scenes at the start 1931's Dracula were almost certainly an inspiration, as well as architecture and creature design in many other Universal (and at least a few Hammer) films.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
To be honest, I'm a HUGE Lupin fan and have known about this for a while now.

Got into it back when it first started coming on Adult swim.

But I find it funny/(sad) that some will try to use this against the old series. :rollseyes:

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
Vampire Hunter D novels, manga, and anime movies likely established two big Castlevania tropes.

Well, the novels and anime anyway. The manga (which adapts the novels) didn't start coming out until only a few years ago.

I suppose what makes this comparison so unusual is that Castle of Cagliostro doesn't have horror themes—to my knowledge, anyway; I haven't seen it, but the Lupin movies that I have seen were about crime, adventure, and general fantasy. So this appears to go beyond general culling from other media and stories in the horror genre; that shot of the castle in the Lupin movie looks so incredibly similar to the Dracula's Curse map castle design that it's uncanny, unless that's not a unique design.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:00:05 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything