Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1089956 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1500 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about the RPG. Yeah, do remind her what's currently missing, thanks.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1501 on: June 06, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
Had been working on this one for a while for Warmachine.

Any feedback?

Did he steal his own pants from the future? (Arikardo, AoS/DoS) It looks like you edited over the top of an Arikardo animation.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1502 on: June 09, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »
Did he steal his own pants from the future? (Arikardo, AoS/DoS) It looks like you edited over the top of an Arikardo animation.

No, I did use it as a reference though. I originally filmed myself walking in a cape and based my animations off of that. Because of the limited space and equipment that I have
I did end up having some awkward frame transitions(I wasn't able to film my feet). In order to amend them I looked up the Arikado sheet for reference. It seems I borrowed from it too heavily though. Guess I should go back to the drawing board with it.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1503 on: June 09, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »

Any feedback?

My two cents: He's lifting the legs too high from the ground to step foward, and one of the legs is "snapping" when transitioning from the "lifted" to the "on floor" positions.

Right now, it looks like he's skipping or that he's adjusting his pants without his hands, somewhat.

This can be fixed by moving the legs one pixel down, and the snapping leg one pixel foward just before the frame it touches the floor.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:27:34 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1504 on: June 09, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
My two cents: He's lifting the legs too high from the ground to step foward, and one of the legs is "snapping" when transitioning from the "lifted" to the "on floor" positions.

Right now, it looks like he's skipping or that he's adjusting his pants without his hands, somewhat.

This can be fixed by moving the legs one pixel down, and the snapping leg one pixel foward just before the frame it touches the floor.

Thanks, I'll try and see how that works when I have the time. I will probably redo some of the frames from scratch since the animation started to look too much like the reference.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1505 on: June 10, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
Some sprite revamps.

Damn! Those are nice! I would love to see them in action in a CV3 graphics hack.
"Stuff and things."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1506 on: June 27, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Just two sprites. One is a remake, the other is a demake.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1507 on: July 03, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
I DREW GIR

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1508 on: July 05, 2015, 01:09:55 AM »
Not exactly "my" spritework, because I obviously didn't make Richter. I used him, however, to test how would a more logical approach to the whip attack work for a Belmont-like character:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:42:44 AM by theplottwist »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1509 on: July 05, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
Not exactly "my" spritework, because I obviously didn't make Richter. I used him, however, to test how would a more logical approach to the whip attack work for a Belmont-like character:

Wow man, this is really good!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1510 on: July 05, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »

Any feedback?

The legs are slightly too far forward.  Move them a pixel toward his cape.
The legs also appear slightly too short for the torso, making them seem slightly disconnected from the top of his body.  Make them a pixel or two taller.

Otherwise, it's neat!  Reminds of the one I was using YEAAAAARS back when my remake was being worked on.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #1511 on: July 05, 2015, 10:19:15 AM »
I used him, however, to test how would a more logical approach to the whip attack work for a Belmont-like character:

Actually the normal Castlevania representation isn't far off from how you would actually use a whip. Due to the console limits, and later probably homage and gameplay flow, it was never fluid or exactly accurate. But just 'slashing' with a whip is missing a LOT of the power a whip strike can have. It doesn't have the "crack". The crack produced by hitting an object and the real "whip crack" are separate things. The real whip crack isn't produced by the whip hitting itself, but exceeding the speed of sound. It is a mini-sonic boom. If you can hit something with the whip while it enters this phase of the strike, it'll shred through the target like a sword. What does the whip look like when doing this? It's generally straight out in front of the user.

What is not accurate is that enemies take damage anywhere in the hit box of the whip. Only the top would do the real damage. The closer to the person's body the much less damage it will do. Could be an interesting mechanic too, if hit with the absolute tip enemies take more damage...

So yeah, CV's typical representation of the whip is actually pretty on point for leather whips at least. Chain whips are a whole other story and do not operate anything like a leather whip. They just use it for the imagery of the powerup. There are of course countless different ways to use a whip in combat, and while a whip 'slash' like you represented has it's uses, it is a much weaker attack in reality. Easier to hit though. But a master whip wielder can hit the flame off a candle without a problem.

Also, I believe Lament has one of the light attack animations actually being a pretty proper forward whip crack.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1512 on: July 05, 2015, 10:53:25 AM »
Yeah, the whip's snapback is when it would be the most damaging.
And this snapback is highly powerful even if it is just hitting the air.

In the Richter animation above, it seems implied that it is the collision of the whip against the floor/object that causes the damage.  In reality, even when the whip touches you on its way forward, it still woudn't register a true damaging hit.  It's when Richter would 'snap' it back and it does the super-fast twist in the area, that it would be highly damaging.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1513 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:19 AM »
Thats why i think the best way to do a better whip attack its to make something like the whip from Indiana Jones in Snes, you can see the snapback but perhaps the whip make damage since its magic (alchemy) so it have sence that do damage in all the parts of the whip to evil creatures.

Oh by the way theplottwist you dont mind if i grab your animation to learn how to do movements like that?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:47:45 AM by Jop »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1514 on: July 05, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »
Thats why i think the best way to do a better whip attack its to make something like the whip from Indiana Jones in Snes, you can see the snapback but perhaps the whip make damage since its magic (alchemy) so it have sence that do damage in all the parts of the whip to evil creatures.

Oh by the way theplottwist you dont mind if i grab your animation to learn how to do movements like that?

Of course not. Go ahead.

Jorge's and Uzo's expert whip mechanics advices.

I've been watching a lot of Anthony De Longis' and Adam Winrich's demonstrations and explanations of how to use a whip, and I already understand that the sonic-boom/snapback part is the strongest moment of a whipcrack. Anthony De Longis even shows how you can make the whip be straight in the air like the Belmonts can  :D

I made this animation so I could make it look more like a whip, and less like a broom's handle lol Also, this depicts one of the weakest attacks you can do with it, so it's not far from what you guys said.

I'll make a "snapback" one so you guys can see if it looks good or not.

anything