Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So... what WAS Simon's curse, exactly?  (Read 19713 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: So... what WAS Simon's curse, exactly?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
+1
Lol at bad spellings. It's 'Dinesti'.

I was actually debating this when I wrote it. In the end I chose Grant's CV3 name  ;D

And as for the haunted ship being out of the time period? Yes it is. I kinda forgot that Columbus sailed for the Americas in 1492 and Dracula was assassinated in 1476. Only two decades earlier. As far as i know (history wise) the biggest wooden sailing vessel made during the rule of Briton was the HMS Victory. A 'Ship of the Line' class. Aren't discussions like this one fun??  :D

But getting back to Dracula cursing Simon. I think it would have been more successful if Dracula cursed Simon with ED to prevent further propagation of the clan.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:09:03 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
These discussions are indeed fun & LOL at ED.
"Stuff and things."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
+3
feel free to delete the otter one.

WHY WOULD YOU DELETE SOMETHING THIS ADORABLE

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
But getting back to Dracula cursing Simon. I think it would have been more successful if Dracula cursed Simon with ED to prevent further propagation of the clan.
What is "ED"?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »
+1
Erectile Dysfunction.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
LOL I thought that it is some type of sexual dysfunction because of the "D", thanks xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Orlox

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
He is 2x weaker at night
...And the wolves they are howling that sweet but haunted song

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
Historically, it's Danesti, not Dinesti. It's the family line that was Dan I's offshoot of the House of Basarab in Wallachia.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
I think we're still wrong on the curse, we need a real doctor to help us diagnose this...

;D All kidding aside, regarding the oversized ghost ship in CVIII, this kind of proves Dracula's ability to pull objects from the future to his domain. Motorcycle skeletons anyone? (Though personally I always thought they ran off alchemy/magics...)

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »
Yeah, Castlevania makes itself out to be demonic and magical (all those glyphs and stuff), but the series, especially IGA's games, are clearly influenced heavily by H.P. Lovecraft and colleagues. The Mythos is full of alchemy and said glyphs were alchemic in nature as well. You have gravediggers (granted, that was based on The Undertaker), The Creature, hunchbacks/Igors, some things that were possibly based on The Hound (a Lovecraft story about a demonic dog that terrorized a couple grave robbers), the various laboratories, the lower castle levels with glyphs and runic symbols, and a bunch of other things I'm probably overlooking. Sure, IGA included witches in his games and Dracula was referred to as a sorcerer, but Castlevania is clearly an alchemic creation. Oh! The crystals that bosses drop. I'm almost certain that's alchemic in nature, kinda like the Philosopher's Stone. They actually will play a significant role in the stories of my games (planning on making more than one if I ever stop hacking and get back to programming).

I'm glad I'm not the only person that noticed the doctors in House always think it's Lupus.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:05:03 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Anyone noticed that Judgement's Simon have some tatoos? I think thats not a real tatto, but the accursed seal.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
OK, we're all wrong about that name.
It's Dăneşti, and it's pronounced duh-nesh-tee.

Also, I don't think there a very heavy amount of Lovecraftian influence in CV. Certainly the presence of "Cthulhu" in several of the games is self-evident. However, most of the rest is pretty generic and common throughout many horror themed media.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »
Yeah the only other Lovecraftian item that makes itself apparent aside from Cthulhu is CV64/LoD's Necronomicon intro
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »
+1
You're just not looking hard enough. Even Shaft veers close to Lovecraft. Remember, the Mythos isn't just about the aliens sleeping under us. I'm sure somewhere in Castlevania there's even a reference to the Dreamlands, I just haven't picked up on it yet.

Tags:

anything