Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 984361 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #1470 on: May 29, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »
+1
That's what I'm going to try to ask as well--what was originally the reasoning behind why that would happen and such. The more people ask it the more likely it gets picked as a question he'll answer so the more people who ask the better.

If you guys are going to try and ask about Dark Maria, could you also try asking about some of the other cancelled characters like Elizabeth Bartley and Gilles de Rais? He mentioned them briefly in some SotN guidebook interview and I really want to know more about what he had planned. I will try and ask myself as well, and of course I'll help you guys push the other questions, too. 

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiit. If true, that negates over a decade of shitposting on the Dungeon and Gamefaqs about how CotM was the last great Castlevania game before that bastard IGA ruined it and life in general.

Well Hero-kun, IGA did say he didn't like to be credited for CotM because he didn't work on it, so I assume his role was strictly PR. But even then, if you listened to what he said in the video, my respect for him has grown ever more since in return of becoming involved in the series after begging, he was basically forced to pump out a CV game each year. And even with his hands tied behind his back he still gave us 5 absolutely amazing handheld games while he probably could have giving us 2 or 3 SotN-tier ones if he actually had enough time. So it's really tragic people gave him crap all these years for "running Castlevania into the ground" even though it was because of a crunched development time and external forces like game retailers lowering the prices of their games.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:08:02 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1471 on: May 29, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
If you guys are going to try and ask about Dark Maria, could you also try asking about some of the other cancelled characters like Elizabeth Bartley and Gilles de Rais? He mentioned them briefly in some SotN guidebook interview and I really want to know more about what he had planned. I will try and ask myself as well, and of course I'll help you guys push the other questions, too. 

They were going to put Elizabeth Bartley and Gilles de Rais in SotN? Seems like that would've been kind of out of place, unless maybe they were just bosses and not full on characters (although Gilles was in LoD but I didn't know his history at the time I played that so it didn't seem odd). Or was that for The Bloodletting, from before the project transformed into SotN? I'd definitely be interested to know more about that project since it seems like there's so little info out there.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1473 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »
Pretty great update!

Offline BalancedHydra

• Hunter in Training
  • Picture a Hydra on a tight rope.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1474 on: May 29, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
We're getting pretty spoiled.

So. Next week #AskIga is special attacks eh? I always wondered if there were any that Iga wanted to put in but were cut.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1475 on: May 29, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
;-; He no answer my question ;-; Oh well, maybe next week.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1476 on: May 29, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
They were going to put Elizabeth Bartley and Gilles de Rais in SotN? Seems like that would've been kind of out of place, unless maybe they were just bosses and not full on characters (although Gilles was in LoD but I didn't know his history at the time I played that so it didn't seem odd). Or was that for The Bloodletting, from before the project transformed into SotN? I'd definitely be interested to know more about that project since it seems like there's so little info out there.

I'm pretty sure it was from SotN itself since he said he regretted them not being in the final game. This is what he said about it:

Quote from: IGA
As far as the story goes, I did have deeper and more involved dialogue planned, but I thought it would interrupt the game progression too much, so we took it out. There were many characters who had to be cut, but the ones I still wish we could have added were Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles de Rais. As for post-game stories, Alucard and Maria’s whereabouts are unknown. Richter uses this as an opportunity to pass the vampire killer to the Morris family, who are relatives of the Belmonts. He disappears with Annette. After this the repuation of the Belmont name as vampire hunters vanishes from history. However, that doesn’t mean the Belmont bloodline has died out, so perhaps they will rise again as Vampire Hunters someday.

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1477 on: May 29, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
The AMA may be up. It's a bit early so I'm not sure if it's really him but...

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1478 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Going by Ask IGA #3, I'm guessing the UMA Magazines in DoS and Marcel's sidequests in OoE were a nod to a Japanese ghost magazine that always featured the Igavanias? If so, that's pretty cool. Wondered where that idea came from.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1479 on: May 29, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
+1
Gilles de Rais was in Jeanne D'Arc on PSP. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything except everyone should play that game because it was awesome. Unless you hate strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem. But if that's the case you don't deserve to have nice things anyway.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1480 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »
Yes, they made the I am A page some time ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/37s0ev/i_am_former_castlevania_producer_koji_igarashi/

Here's muh question:

Dear Mr. Igarashi,

First off, thank you so much for holding this AMA, and thank you as well for all the wonderful work you've done in video games over the years. Though I'm sure you've heard this a lot, SoTN--and your other Igavanias, for that matter--have brought so much joy to me and millions of others across the globe. Personally, I wouldn't have made many of the friends I have now if it wasn't for your games. So I'm truly grateful to you for all that you've done, and I'm sure the rest of your fans feel the same way!

My question relates to something you said in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TzfM6QUs6A

From about 1 hour and 15 minutes in, you describe (through your excellent translator, Ben Judd) the challenges faced with the profit margins of handheld games. To summarize what he said, any game on a cartridge format had a relatively fixed cost of development, but the prices of cartridges at retailers like Wal-mart constantly dropped, resulting in constantly dropping profit margins no matter how much you tried to cut costs. I'm wondering, does digital distribution (like on Steam) have this problem, and if not, was the rise of digital distribution one reason you decided now was the right time to strike out on your own and make your own masterwork? :)

Once again, thank you so much for your time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:07:04 PM by Gunlord »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1481 on: May 29, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »
Does Reddit preserve threads like this or would it be a good idea to create a back-up in case we get lots of interesting info?

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1482 on: May 29, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
I think it preserves such threads, but a backup certainly couldn't hurt, prunyuu~

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1483 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
He even already answered about 1999. He said it was supposed to be a multiplayer game, but they couldn't find a perfect system to develop it for at the time.

IGA inserted time travellers in Castlevania because he liked the idea of "time watchers" that keep the flow of time intact. And that's about it, no hidden meaning behind them.

Shanoa is not related to the Belmonts, nor to Dracula in any way.

He said he'd respond about the Morris later, but I don't think this will happen.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1484 on: May 29, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
I'm gonna bet he can't answer the ending question since it's related to cut content  :'(

Tags:

anything