Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 171295 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
In the original Simon's Quest you start out with three lives and infinite continues. There is no way to earn lives in that game as it is not necessary. metroidquest's version of SQ is a lot more difficult as he left out the continues and only kept in the three lives. I also could not finish this game as it too is hard for me. To my knowledge metroidquest doesn't have any intentions of lightening up the difficulty or increasing the amount of lives for the player. you will have to get in touch with him about that. U2U will be the fastest way to do it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline pattamus

• Apprentice Vampire Killer
  • Hunter in Training
  • Save state master ;)
    • Awards
Re: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply!. I will indeed try to contact the creator. Pardon my newbness, but what is "U2U"?

It would be great if my son and myself as well as you were able to finish this great game! :)

-Pat

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
"U2U" is "User to User". To find out more you can read up on it in the dungeon's directory. Or you can do the following: Put the mouse cursor on 'My Messages'. Then select 'Send a Message'. Locate 'metroidquest' and click on it. you should be able to send him a message in this manor.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline pattamus

• Hunter in Training
  • Save state master ;)
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
Thank you very much! Would you mind if I linked him to our conversation in this thread for context and so he doesn't think I am stalking him? :p

Thanks again, and if I hear any news I will let you know first thing.

-Pat

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Surething. But i am certain he will understand anyway if you explain the situation to him.  :)

Offline pattamus

• Hunter in Training
  • Save state master ;)
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
Are there any similar games to Simon's quest Revamped which might be easier or have a continue system or a way to gain lives?

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like MetroidQuest is on the case! Nice guy, that fellow. :) 
  Nope.

Or maybe not. just messaged him again and it was deleted. looks like he isn't interested. It's his right.  Just sucks that such a great remix require xpadder/joy2pad, and is almost impossible to beat. I've pretty much come to terms that it's not gonna happen for myself, my son, and the community.

It's the authors right, no matter how sadistic it may be ;)  Don't worry about helping us out, we don't beg, and aren't about to start.

Good game (as it stands with the controls and difficulty level/lives) with potential that could have been great.. could have been the de-facto CV2 remake.  I really did like the look and feel of it. It is really unfortunate.

I also just want to say that it's all good with metroid and any other authors. But It's just hard to digest when people are saying they cannot beat, or even get far in what should have been a great game.

I'm sure metroid is a great gamer. So he wants to challenge the public. But when does entertainment outweigh a video game so challenging to the point gamers find it unplayable?

No hard feelings at all. After all, he made a great game, with a lot of asterisks. I'm sure lifelong CV fans enjoyed it and beat it.

So my original question stands for any kind souls out there who won't flame me. Are there any similar CV2 hacks (not talking NES  ones) ? It is my favorite game of the series, no matter what bad rep it got.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:09:39 AM by pattamus »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
So my original question stands for any kind souls out there who won't flame me. Are there any similar CV2 hacks (not talking NES  ones) ? It is my favorite game of the series, no matter what bad rep it got.

As far as I can gather, no. metroidquest's game was the first one to hit the internet. If there are others out there that came before or after, I have no clue.

Offline AISTODIAOLO

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: February 29, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
did u keep the bugs/stupid things/stupid dialogs from the original game?
like the one with the invisible hole or the w8 5 secs before this happens.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »
I hope you're playing the version with Simon Belmont in it. ;) ;) ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline pattamus

• Hunter in Training
  • Save state master ;)
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
I just discovered symphony of the night (never knew that game was even out for PSX) as well as rondo of blood aka Dracula X.

The dracula X version I got was the german language PC version, and it is almost as hard as metroids remake. I remember the days of hard NES games. grinding away even when I felt the game was being cheap. That's what Rondo reminds me of.

But symphony of the night is great for newb players. because you can save state AND use the fake memory card. I don't do it often, but if I can't get past a certain place I will, just not to get too frustrated.

My kid is used to just playing games where he gets infinite continues, he's good for his age, but he just can't get into games that punish him to hell like "back to the church, simon's quest".  I really shouldn't have even brought him into this, but he did like metroids game. Couldn't get him to play NES games, cept megaman and such. The good news is he will play symphony of the night, and CV IV, the 2 best IMO.   

It's just a shame metroid won't cater, but that's his option. It's a seriously hard game. Oh well, I tried. Good luck to those of you brave enough to soldier on. :)     And no disrespect to metroid.

Offline fantasma

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »
Hello,

I've just discovered this remake and I like it a lot. Thanks to metroidquest for making it and to Jorge Fuentes for the sprite (it makes a world of difference to the previous version with Richter).

I was wondering if there is a way of getting rid of the filter that's there when the game runs in full screen (it's an antialiasing or something similar). I mean, I'd like to play it with the "clean" pixels, as it is it looks kind of blurry.

If that's not possible in the game itself, does anyone know of a wrapper or some kind of program that expands the window and displays it as it is (the effect is not present when it runs at 1x windowed).

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
Sometimes that happens because of your videocard settings, not the game itself.
I'm not sure whether that's the case on yours.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »
Hello,

I've just discovered this remake and I like it a lot. Thanks to metroidquest for making it and to Jorge Fuentes for the sprite (it makes a world of difference to the previous version with Richter).

I was wondering if there is a way of getting rid of the filter that's there when the game runs in full screen (it's an antialiasing or something similar). I mean, I'd like to play it with the "clean" pixels, as it is it looks kind of blurry.

If that's not possible in the game itself, does anyone know of a wrapper or some kind of program that expands the window and displays it as it is (the effect is not present when it runs at 1x windowed).

Thanks in advance.
Go to your PC settings and lower your resolution the closest it can get to the game's resolution, and then play it in fullscreen. While not fully fixing the blur it can reduce it greatly. It's the OS that is blurring everything, I still have not found a way to disable it.

Offline fantasma

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Sometimes that happens because of your videocard settings, not the game itself.
I'm not sure whether that's the case on yours.

Yes, it had happened to me before with some emulators. I usually disable it by changing the renderer (between Direct3d and OpenGL), and/or other settings. I was hoping there was some parameter you could add when running the game, I tried a few but as for now no luck.

Go to your PC settings and lower your resolution the closest it can get to the game's resolution, and then play it in fullscreen. While not fully fixing the blur it can reduce it greatly. It's the OS that is blurring everything, I still have not found a way to disable it.

I tried it but it didn't change much, unfortunately. The lowest the card can go (in the XP display settings) is 800x600.

I think it could be worked out with an external program that stretches the 1x window. I'll let you guys know if I find something, thanks again.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #254 on: April 15, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
You can control within a program whether or not the output is able to be resampled (and 'blurred') by the GFX card. However, I couldn't tell you if Game Maker's programmers decided to let you change that, or if they figured that out at all.

Tags: